Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve only had a small bet on A Plus Tard in this race so far
    And that’s speculative at best as he’s as likely to go shorter than further.

One other I would back though is Ridersonthestorm.
    But he’s not priced up anywhere.
    A trainer like twist on Davies is most likely to go for the big pots I reckon and needs a stable star again.
    Real shame he fell when he did as I’d have liked to see him finish the race for sure. But he’d been sketchy at one or two and badly positioned mostly so we’ll always be wondering.
    Looking forward to seeing him again and I’d be surprised if they don’t go at least three miles at some point.
    I’d be happy with 50-1 but would prefer 66-1 or bigger

Comment

It's a fair shout Q, for sure. His jumping under pressure and at pace, as per the Ryanair thread, is still my main concern with him though.

50/1 is plenty fair enough as could see him going out in trip at some point, whether next season or the one after, but I think it's likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Quevega View Post
        One other I would back though is Ridersonthestorm.
        But he’s not priced up anywhere.
        Being aimed at the Ryanair Q...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          Will they not fancy a crack at the KG? That race would probably suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            Will they not fancy a crack at the KG? That race would probably suit.
            No idea FM but I know they fancied him before this years renewal and were gutted when he came down as they were convinced he would have gone close, 'heading back to the Ryanair' is all I got told...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
              Yep
              I’d seen that brief comment
              But long way to go and like FM says
              Pretty sure they’re gonna go at leat three miles at some point

Comment

With Barry now retired, who is going to ride Champ next season because that could be a big influence as to whether he progresses and then performs well in the Gold Cup. I think a number of us on the Forum concluded that Barry had an outstanding Festival in 2020 with great rides on Epatante, Saint Roi, Sire Du Berlais, Dame De Compagnie and also on Champ.

I'm assuming that Nico will carry on partnering Santini, so do we think Dickie could get the ride on Champ as he already rides some of JPs horses in the UK or would it go to Barry's replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by Nortons who View Post
                  With Barry now retired, who is going to ride Champ next season because that could be a big influence as to whether he progresses and then performs well in the Gold Cup. I think a number of us on the Forum concluded that Barry had an outstanding Festival in 2020 with great rides on Epatante, Saint Roi, Sire Du Berlais, Dame De Compagnie and also on Champ.

I'm assuming that Nico will carry on partnering Santini, so do we think Dickie could get the ride on Champ as he already rides some of JPs horses in the UK or would it go to Barry's replacement.
                  My guess would be Jonjo again, he got some 'big rides' from Tizzard, like Native River?

Dickie perhaps for the one off ride but he's unlikely to leave Hobbs and it'd be odd if they have a retained rider but he doesn't get the Champ gig...

So my guess is Coleman or Jonjo....

Comment

Originally posted by Nortons who View Post

Hopefully not! He might clean up on Gordon’s 5th string around Ayr but I can’t recall him on many festival winners in recent years (Native River the only one?)
                    Last edited by DeeBee; 13 July 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Presenting Percy moves to Gordon Elliot.

Probably one for the Elliot Handicap Thread, but thought it worth bringing up here

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                        Presenting Percy moves to Gordon Elliot.

Probably one for the Elliot Handicap Thread, but thought it worth bringing up here

That is exciting for a Monday night in July.

I'm backing him at 50/1.

I lose a value loser.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          That is exciting for a Monday night in July.

I'm backing him at 50/1.

I lose a value loser.
                          The market has reacted quickly to that. 50's long gone. Good spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                            The market has reacted quickly to that. 50's long gone. Good spot.
                            I won't bore people covering old ground, as Percy Certainty has had as much written about him on this forum over the last few years than as other horse, if not more and we all know how we feel about him.

While I am under no illusion whatsoever that his best chance is behind him, as much as I like Pat Kelly's strike rate, it's impossible to argue that Gordon Elliott isn't a massive upgrade.

50/1 is/was a fair enough stab when Elliott only really has Delta Work in his arsenal, as I don't imagine Battleoverdoyen will be good enough and it's a fair leap with Champagne Classic too.

As good as Gordon is, a mark of 165 isn't workable and there is just no freaking way the handicapper would let Percy into a handicap hurdle off anything but top weight either, no matter how creative they try and get.

Whilst it's feasible he gets plotted towards a marathon trip (Irish Grand National) I believe his festival record entitles him to be campaigned like the good horse he is.

Delighted to have 50/1, but I'm perfectly aware 50/1 is closer to fair than it is good value.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                              I won't bore people covering old ground, as Percy Certainty has had as much written about him on this forum over the last few years than as other horse, if not more and we all know how we feel about him.

While I am under no illusion whatsoever that his best chance is behind him, as much as I like Pat Kelly's strike rate, it's impossible to argue that Gordon Elliott isn't a massive upgrade.

50/1 is/was a fair enough stab when Elliott only really has Delta Work in his arsenal, as I don't imagine Battleoverdoyen will be good enough and it's a fair leap with Champagne Classic too.

As good as Gordon is, a mark of 165 isn't workable and there is just no freaking way the handicapper would let Percy into a handicap hurdle off anything but top weight either, no matter how creative they try and get.

Whilst it's feasible he gets plotted towards a marathon trip (Irish Grand National) I believe his festival record entitles him to be campaigned like the good horse he is.

Delighted to have 50/1, but I'm perfectly aware 50/1 is closer to fair than it is good value.
                              You’ve summed it up nicely. Nothing wrong with taking a punt on him at 50’s. If I’d have got there in time I would have. Fair play to those that did.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
                                You’ve summed it up nicely. Nothing wrong with taking a punt on him at 50’s. If I’d have got there in time I would have. Fair play to those that did.
                                Totally agree 50s was good value 25s isn't. If I'd have been quick enough I'd have had a bit at 50s.

Comment

Working...
                                X