Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme/Ballymore/Albert Bartlett - Novice Hurdles 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While Bob Olinger was indubitably impressive, I tend to look on it as his second experience of racing rather than a debut and I'm not sure that the stats, well researched though they were, are that meaningful. It's been noted elsewhere that the bumper ratings this year seem to be out of kilter with previous years and we can't really be sure about how good a performance it was until he or the placed horses reappear. It's a great shame that all the end of season winner's bumpers were lost because we really are still in the dark as to the relative merits of several of these.

As it happens, I have a little inside knowledge of the family because I had a share in (half-sister) Myska. Zenaide has thrown a couple of decent sorts and they seem to have produced their best results at 2 miles although we didn't have much doubt that Myska got 2m4f. A slight niggle would be that none of the produce were particularly robust. We also had a full sister to Myska who never even made the track.

Having said all that, whatever way you look at it, 33/1 is a much better proposition than the ridiculous price of Ballyadam.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
      Personally I see Uhtred either an Albert Bartlett or Martin Pipe horse. Be surprised if he's good enough to go close in a Supreme or Ballymore. His breeding suggests a trip too.
      We seem to disagree massively on Uhtred The below is from my diary on 1st April. Fame And Glory has sired progeny that have been suited to a range of distances so that would not put me off, especially given his limited numbers. If you watch the last run of Uhtred that does not scream 3 miler to me.

Uhtred – Supreme Novices Hurdle
      Although the focus will be on the festival bumper (even more so that Aintree and Punchestown will be cancelled), I’m going to look outside of that race for two novice hurdle selections. The first of those selections in Uhtred for the Supreme Novices hurdle. He did not come from the PTP field but won on debut in April last year coming from a long way off the pace to fly home and win narrowly. It was an impressive turn of foot that he went on to display in the Listed "Future Champions" INH Flat Race at Navan in December 2019. He travelled well and put the race to bed impressively, displaying the same turn of foot again to beat a reasonable field. That race has a nice roll of honour with previous winners including: Envoi Allen, Rapid Escape, Samcro, Death Duty and Don Cossack. Although most Gigginstown horses come from the PTP scene and are future chasers, Uhtred seems to possess real pace and could be similar to Abacadabras in being a genuine 2 mile contender. He’s sired by Fame And Glory who I really like as well.

Comment

All over bob olinger for the ballymore also.. been backing it for the last 4 weeks. In my eyes it should be half the price of what you can get now of 33s. It looks to have a natural blend of speed and stamina. If ballyadam is 20/1 then this sound be 16/1

Comment

They should probably both be around the same price, although being trained by Gordon Elliott is worth a bit more in my eyes.

Trying to think of a festival winning novice hurdler for Henry. Had there been one?

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
            We seem to disagree massively on Uhtred The below is from my diary on 1st April. Fame And Glory has sired progeny that have been suited to a range of distances so that would not put me off, especially given his limited numbers. If you watch the last run of Uhtred that does not scream 3 miler to me.
            I initially had Uhtred down as a 2 miler but at that stage I had done next to no research, instead the view formed on the visual aspect of his run. I like to back these up with breeding, opposition on the day plus other pieces etc....

On breeding, there is plenty of stamina on both the sire and dams side for me, enough that made me believe he will need further.

Also, the opposition on every occasion he has run has been ordinary at best, possibly Front View the best he come across and he didn't do much for the hurdle form at the festival, although this a small sample size, it's a start, about a horse I'm sure we'll learn plenty about over the course of the season.

The one Giggs horse I am looking at for the Supreme is Fire Attack.
            Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 19 May 2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              They should probably both be around the same price, although being trained by Gordon Elliott is worth a bit more in my eyes.

Trying to think of a festival winning novice hurdler for Henry. Had there been one?
              This is my one and only worry FM. Just wondering if he's had the ammunition also. Captain Guinness somewhat unlucky this season didn't help matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Minella indo

Comment

Originally posted by Kautostar View Post
                  Minella indo

Was just coming in to write that. Thought of it half way through an episode of White Lines

Comment

I initially had Uhtred down as a 2 miler but at that stage I had done next to no research, instead the view formed on the visual aspect of his run. I like to back these up with breeding, opposition on the day plus other pieces etc....

On breeding, there is plenty of stamina on both the sire and dams side for me, enough that made me believe he will need further.

Also, the opposition on every occasion he has run has been ordinary at best, possibly Front View the best he come across and he didn't do much for the hurdle form at the festival, although this a small sample size, it's a start, about a horse I'm sure we'll learn plenty about over the course of the season.

We must read breeding and visuals completely differently as I’d have had the Supreme as the least likely of the novice races for Fire Attack. I agree he’s a lovely horse but I’d my instincts would say further than 2m.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                      We must read breeding and visuals completely differently as I’d have had the Supreme as the least likely of the novice races for Fire Attack. I agree he’s a lovely horse but I’d my instincts would say further than 2m.
                      A full brother to Western Ryder, that one wasn't bad at 2m (6th in a Supreme), only FA is under a better trainer (IMO).

I think Fire Attack would no doubt step up in trip at some point of his career, don't think it should be or will be in his novice hurdle season, IMO.

Comment

Like Fire Attack myself, lost nothing in defeat to Farouk D'alene and impressed in his chrismas bumper and the form is decent enough, but to my eye he's not a 2miler

Comment

Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post
                          Like Fire Attack myself, lost nothing in defeat to Farouk D'alene and impressed in his chrismas bumper and the form is decent enough, but to my eye he's not a 2miler
                          It's going to be difficult at this stage for sure, just my opinions. Liked the way Fire Attack stayed to the line against a stayer, but feel he showed decent speed on debut against a next time out winner and a horse that showed up well at a big price in the festival bumper.

Comment

Having watched the festival bumper countless times eskylane is one I'm very interested in. Anyone have any firm ideas on which novice hurdle it will be aimed at?? Thinking Bartlett myself but no real reason why! Wondering if might start out in same novice hurdle fury road took in at Down Royal??

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkhill12 View Post
                              Having watched the festival bumper countless times eskylane is one I'm very interested in. Anyone have any firm ideas on which novice hurdle it will be aimed at?? Thinking Bartlett myself but no real reason why! Wondering if might start out in same novice hurdle fury road took in at Down Royal??
                              I have him down as an Albert Bartlett horse myself too, whether that means much or not is another thing

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkhill12 View Post
                                From my diary page

Eskylane - Gordon Elliott - Albert Bartlett
                                Although I originally only wanted to take Ferny Hollow and Appreciate It out of the Champion Bumper, I think Eskylane ran a great race on later reflection. He’d have preferred to have been up with the pace but got left at the start. He travelled well into the home straight but did not have the pace of the front two and plugged on for fifth. By Flemensfirth he’s going to be better over further and obstacles.

Comment

Working...
                                X