Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Would you back a Venetia Williams novice hurdler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you back a Venetia Williams novice hurdler?

I’ve been ploughing through my notebooks and came across a horse called Easy As That who won two bumpers for Venetia Williams at Ffos Las and Musselburgh. Although they were both nice enough performances and easy victories, I dismissed the horse as the victories were gained at small tracks and I just can’t remember Venetia having a good record with novice hurdlers (she tends to do best with soft ground handicap chasers).

I’ve now gone back to check the in more detail and found out that the two performances earned an RPR of 108 and 126 which is fairly good for the grade. Additionally, Timeform have rated the horse at 118+ which is the third highest rating behind Ferny Hollow and Appreciate It.

The pedigree is far from spectacular although the dam is a half sister to Time For Rupert. The horse only achieved 18K as a store too.

Would that be enough for anyone to get involved? What price would you want?

I just can’t convince myself to consider it.

I wouldn't, No

Comment

It’s been a while but she won the Pertemps with Kayf Aramis as a novice beating Beuna Vista who won the next two renewals, but we are going back a while.
      Like you day, deep ground chasers more her game...

Comment

....27-1 (with boost) in Hills any race market.

Comment

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this one, in fact seeing the info below helped to convince me to back Easy as That a few days ago ANY race with the boost .

Easy As That*(Timeform rating b115+) – Musselburgh, Tuesday 18 February

Easy As That*is bred to be smart and duly looked something out of the ordinary when making a winning start at Ffos Las in December, looking right at home in the mud after going clear late on to win by four lengths. There was plenty to like about the way he opened up when required, and he created an even bigger impression when easily defying a penalty to run out a thirteen-length winner at Musselburgh on Tuesday, posting one of the highest figures seen by a bumper horse this season.

Easy As That has impressed on both his career outings so far and, even if the major spring bumpers aren’t to be his thing, he still remains an exciting prospect for Venetia Williams, particularly when sent jumping; out of a half-sister to top-class hurdler/very smart chaser Time For Rupert.

Racing TV

✔@RacingTV

Fine prospect!

Comment

Personally never in a rush to back a horse like this from a trainer who isn't 'sexy'.

Chances are the horse would be over priced when you've seen it in action (relative to other horses who get cut before a run for the mega trainers)

You'd be able to back this horse with more information (having the benefit of seeing it run) at the same price... I'd be confident if that.

So no, I wouldn't back it now.

Comment

....can’t see it in any specific market, yet I suspect somebody has requested it from Hills for any race.

Comment

Originally posted by Nortons who View Post
                I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss this one, in fact seeing the info below helped to convince me to back Easy as That a few days ago ANY race with the boost .

Easy As That*(Timeform rating b115+) – Musselburgh, Tuesday 18 February

Easy As That*is bred to be smart and duly looked something out of the ordinary when making a winning start at Ffos Las in December, looking right at home in the mud after going clear late on to win by four lengths. There was plenty to like about the way he opened up when required, and he created an even bigger impression when easily defying a penalty to run out a thirteen-length winner at Musselburgh on Tuesday, posting one of the highest figures seen by a bumper horse this season.

Easy As That has impressed on both his career outings so far and, even if the major spring bumpers aren’t to be his thing, he still remains an exciting prospect for Venetia Williams, particularly when sent jumping; out of a half-sister to top-class hurdler/very smart chaser Time For Rupert.

Racing TV

✔@RacingTV

Fine prospect!
                I'm with you Nortons. He looks smart and 27-1 with boost TWAR looks decent. very difficult to predict which race they will target. I could see him in the Bartlett or possibly even the Pertemps.

Comment

I think he looks a cracking prospect, but trainer resembles one where a price wouldn't necessarily collapse any time soon, so on that basis alone I wouldn't back one of hers right now.

Happy to wait and see how she starts the season, and more important where Easy As That starts out his campaign also.

I actually don't mind Venetia, and believe she can indeed get one ready in a big race if and when required. I don't think she's had a whole lot of support/ammunition to do this in recent years though.

Comment

Yes I'd agree with that. She's a bit like her old boss Martin Pipe though. She won't necessarily hold a good novice back and peak it for a Festival. I'd want to see how she campaigns Easy As That first.
                    Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more I sweat, the luckier I get.

Comment

Think it's a very good prospect myself and certainly toward the head of my notebook of horses I liked from bumpers last season.

Comment

Working...
                      X