Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Race Conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
    I still don’t understand why a race has to be lost at the Festival, just start one of the days 45 mins earlier and add it to that race day. The Wednesday and Friday only have 3 chase races so add it to that day. 8 races instead of 7 is not a massive inconvenience, if you’re not fussed on the race just spend it queuing at the bar for a pint of piss or go and watch a band play a few songs in a tent or enjoy an extra race.
    That'll never happen TPK. That worst thing about the five day festival is that it'll be five days with six races each.

It's just another way of ripping off the racegoer. As a paying customer, I think every race card should be a minimum of seven races but it never seems to get mentioned by those who want five days.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
      So, we'll scrap the 1000 Guineas and Oaks shall we?
      Definitely scrap the Oaks.

The Derby isn't sexist.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        I think every race card should be a minimum of seven races but it never seems to get mentioned by those who want five days.
        I’ve been following racing since the late 80s FM and in them days every card was 6 races, I may be wrong but I’m sure this was the case well into the 90s.
        I think we all accept the five day festival is inevitable one day with the Ryanair/Stayers being the Saturday feature of a six race card, disappointing but if there weren’t enough financial pressures forcing this before there certainly are now...

Comment

I would rather they looked at other options, such as having a Mare's finals card some time around November/December so that it doesn't affect any of the festivals. That way they can make a big deal of it. Even better if it was away from Cheltenham to give another course the limelight. You only really need a grade 1 Mare's hurdle and chase for it to be decent. Pad the rest out with other class 2/listed Mare's races (novice hurdle, novice chase, handicaps and a bumper) and you've got a decent card. Better than the pathetic effort of a Mare's card that Cheltenham put on in April.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
            Thank's for the Race Conditions C.N.C , Very Useful.
            On the Mares chase , Any one think there's any relevance .
            That it's on Oddschecker between the Champion Chase and the Cross country ??.
            Could it be that the Boodles juv hdl is to go ??.
            Or just a coincidence .??.
            The more I think about it.
            The more this looks likely.
            which is annoying as I backed the Kim Muir & Novice handicap chase.

The Boodles is a bag of shit really and has pretty low level horses running in it year after year and very few turn into anything truly Festival worthy.

It should help make the triumph a bit beefier and they all have several other options against the older horses if they wish and the Filly's have the mares novice so this would help that race also.

Losing this race will mean the Cross country goes back to the Tuesday and they can market ladies day with both the Mares Hurdle and Mares Chase. With the Queen Mother tying in nicely.

Comment

I’m no fan of the Boodles, the conditions almost encourage deception but I can’t see them losing a hurdle race and introducing another chase.
              Where it sits on the OC order I think is irrelevant as if bookies are pricing the race it has to sit somewhere and I can’t imagine bookies will have known all along what race is being ditched and it hasn’t reached the public.
              With all the turmoil in the world I wouldn’t be shocked if they pushed it back a year...

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                That'll never happen TPK. That worst thing about the five day festival is that it'll be five days with six races each.

It's just another way of ripping off the racegoer. As a paying customer, I think every race card should be a minimum of seven races but it never seems to get mentioned by those who want five days.
                Anyone who wants five days has clearly never been all four days! Hopefully it never materialises. Id like to see the 2 1/2 novices handicap chase go

Comment

Useful Link here to the BHA Racing Administration Support pages.

Loads of information in here, and its also here under the Report and Guides tab (Stats and Reports) that you can find the Full List of British Pattern Races, for Flat and Jumping Terms and Conditions of Entry, and dates for entries and decs.

The Jumps Patterns has Cheltenham Festival conditions in it, but of course we are waiting for the launch of the 2020/21 Jumps Pattern to confirm this seasons information (that may be delayed a while yet until they know about prize money, spectator attendance etc)

2019/20 does have useful info on Cheltenham conditions of entry, I used it a lot last year.

Also has the current fixture list.

and all the PTP Fixtures for the coming season.

May be worth saving as a favourite/bookmark for some of us.
                  Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 3 September 2020, 11:47 AM.
                  "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                    USeful Link here to the BHA Racing Administration Support pages.

Loads of information in here, and its also here under the Report and Guides tab (Stats and Reports) that you can find the Full List of British Pattern Races, for Flat and Jumping Terms and Conditions of Entry, and dates for entries and decs.

The Jumps Patterns has Cheltenham Festival conditions in it, but of course we are waiting for the launch of the 2020/21 Jumps Pattern to confirm this seasons information (that may be delayed a while yet until they know about prize money, spectator attendance etc)

2019/20 does have useful info on Cheltenham conditions of entry, I used it a lot last year.

Also has the current fixture list.

and all the PTP Fixtures for the coming season.

May be worth saving as a favourite/bookmark for some of us.
                    Cheers Saxon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                      Cheers Saxon.
                      Its somewhere that the BHA will load a lot of information in one place, which saves me having to go and find things like the Flat or Jumping pattern races for new seasons in online google searches, which was more tricky than I thought it would be (well hidden).
                      Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 3 September 2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Suggestion - and could be a total non starter so forgive me, but would a thread for the handicaps for the previous few years marks to get into the races be worth a go?

Comment

Originally posted by OverTheLast View Post
                          Suggestion - and could be a total non starter so forgive me, but would a thread for the handicaps for the previous few years marks to get into the races be worth a go?
                          OTL,

I did it for all the handicaps last year, with 10 years of details of past winning ratings.

I can bring them through to individual 2021 threads when the handicaps start to be quoted in antepost markets.
                          Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 5 September 2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Brilliant mate.

Comment

Brilliant mate.
                              You can check them on Page 3 or 4 of this Cheltenham main thread.

Comment

The intention is to have individual race threads with #1 post containing race conditions, critical dates etc.
                                Until now discussion has been limited to a few championship race threads and the novice group threads but there will be threads for each race eventually

Comment

Working...
                                X