Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Festival 2021 - Horses Targets/Trainer Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    I know they are very sweet on Third Time Lucki and those comments add more weight to the strength of this years bumper...
    ...absolutely, it’s target for next year seems a bit ambiguous, it’s a horse I want on-side so will probably take the 22-1 Hills any race.

Roksana is interesting. I cashed a very early ante-post bet on this years Stayers once I knew it was going Mares again, sounds like Stayers is the plan for next year but it’s not priced up that I can see.
    Last edited by Eggs; 26 March 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Knowing how the stable think/work, I’d imagine they’ll run him in a fairly decent novice hurdle then stick him in a couple of heats on bad ground/wrong distance so his mark is protected before unleashing him at the Coral Cup or County, probably the Coral Cup...

Comment

Knowing how the stable think/work, I’d imagine they’ll run him in a fairly decent novice hurdle then stick him in a couple of heats on bad ground/wrong distance so his mark is protected before unleashing him at the Coral Cup or County, probably the Coral Cup...
        I was thinking the Martin Pipe but 'any race' definitely the way to go.

Third Time Lucki finished behind 3 Irish horses in the bumper. If it's one of the top UK novice hurdlers you'd think the Irish will sweep the Festival novice hurdles.

Comment

Possibly archie but I think they’ll want Dan or Bridgit on board, but I’m sure they’ll be looking to step him up in trip...

Comment

If an NH trainer has 200 winners in a season and isn't champion trainer, you have to compliment his placement but seriously doubt his ability to win big races.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
              I was thinking the Martin Pipe but 'any race' definitely the way to go.

Third Time Lucki finished behind 3 Irish horses in the bumper. If it's one of the top UK novice hurdlers you'd think the Irish will sweep the Festival novice hurdles.
              Plenty, in particular Nicky Henderson, avoid the festival bumper but he’s always usually top rank with the British novice hurdlers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                Plenty, in particular Nicky Henderson, avoid the festival bumper but he’s always usually top rank with the British novice hurdlers.
                Exactly, so if TTL is a top novice hurdler, the Irish are laughing.

Comment

Exactly, so if TTL is a top novice hurdler, the Irish are laughing.
                  Small yard hyperbole in the close season. He probably said Beakstown was going to be a top novice chaser this season.

Comment

As for next years novice hurdlers I agree the first two home from the bumper, plus Malone Road and Gypsy Island (if fit) the Irish look to have the upper hand but much will depend on JPs chequebook and where he places those purchases, especially the ones from France, if one or two of them land on these shores it may level it out...

Comment

As for next years novice hurdlers I agree the first two home from the bumper, plus Malone Road and Gypsy Island (if fit) the Irish look to have the upper hand but much will depend on JPs chequebook and where he places those purchases, especially the ones from France, if one or two of them land on these shores it may level it out...
                      Willies French imports need to be considered plus a batch of Gigginstown that didn’t make the trip across. It’s a a shame Punchestown will be off as there is usually another form line to go on apart from Cheltenham. Gigginstown looked to have a very strong hand in bumpers until a couple of them run too bad to be true against Apreciate It. I’ll be discounting those runs and still follow them over hurdles.

Hendo usually runs a good one at Kempton the weekend after Cheltenham but the race got replaced with a mares bumper this season.

Comment

If an NH trainer has 200 winners in a season and isn't champion trainer, you have to compliment his placement but seriously doubt his ability to win big races.
                        Silly comment? "Not being champion trainer"? So we should be doubting Gordon as well by that mantra? Did Gordon start off by winning 10 G1's a season? Or did it build year on year?

When Skelton has been training for as long as some of the trainers who do consistantly win big races it's a fairer comparison. He's off the mark with G1's, he's off the mark with festival winners and is improving year-on-year.... this year was a Championship G1.

Elliott, Mullins, Henderson, Nicholls?

Who else is mopping up all the big races?

I don't doubt the ability of trainers that aren't doing it, it's just circumstances, time and loyalty in some cases.

You're suggestiong Dan Skelton's ability to train a racehorse needs doubting?

Swap all his horses with all Willie's, including Kemboy, and see who has more Grade 1's at the end of next season?

The four trainers above have earned the right to get the G1 horses, but Dan Skelton will be there before his career is over.

Nothing to doubt.
                        Last edited by Kevloaf; 27 March 2020, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Exactly that Kev , struggling to see many horses of his that haven't lived up to big billing or any that should equate to being 160+ yet.

Comment

Skeletons stock is improving season after season. He still has horses like Interconnected to unleash when he’s fit and well. I think Skelton is a future champion trainer as he follows many of Paul Nicholls trends and methods with horse placement and keeping his horses busy regardless of the distance and day of the week.

In a separate point of discussion if you did win the lottery and had a £1 million to spend it on buying horses, how many would you buy out of that million and which trainer(s) would you use??

Comment

Is it worth updating the OP to include a shortlist per horse? E.g. Envoi Allen (RSA, Marsh) and so on....

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                                Skeletons stock is improving season after season. He still has horses like Interconnected to unleash when he’s fit and well. I think Skelton is a future champion trainer as he follows many of Paul Nicholls trends and methods with horse placement and keeping his horses busy regardless of the distance and day of the week.

In a separate point of discussion if you did win the lottery and had a £1 million to spend it on buying horses, how many would you buy out of that million and which trainer(s) would you use??
                                2 x Irish PtP £250K each
                                2 x Store horses for around £50K each
                                1 x French juvenile £400K

They'd all be trained by Nicky Henderson as he's my most local, high profile trainer. If any of them turned out to be shite then I'd transfer to Dan Skelton or Olly Murphy to line up a handicap with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X