Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Festival 2021 - Horses Targets/Trainer Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice for Shishkin's owner to be thinking about a Champion Hurdle/Gold Cup double? Not too many will have achieved that and the Arkle/Gold Cup double doesn't sound nearly so good.
    Kim Bailey, Alderbrook and Master Oats (different owners)
    Last edited by Pendil; 25 March 2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      Never easy to read Hendos comments at the best of times and given the current situation I’d be inclined to ignore anything most trainers say at the moment.
      They and their owners are all losing money hand over fist and will no doubt be concerned about the health and wellbeing of family, friends and colleagues as well having to lay staff off to save money, the racing media have hours of screentime to fill in the absence of racing but I can’t imagine trainers’ minds are 100% focussed on next Winters campaign for their horses.
      Wise words , echo your comments

It’s great that we are still discussing “ targets 2021” whilst we are in these unprecedented times

Comment

Originally posted by kinloch brae View Post
        Wouldn't it be nice for Shishkin's owner to be thinking about a Champion Hurdle/Gold Cup double? Not too many will have achieved that and the Arkle/Gold Cup double doesn't sound nearly so good.
        I said to a mate on the Saturday after Cheltenham that if I was Joe Donnelly I’d give Shishkin a shot at the Champion Hurdle. As you say, he’s now won the Gold Cup twice and the race with the next best prestige is probably the Champion Hurdle. Shishkin looks more than capable of improving to win that race and I don’t think it will require a huge step up in form. Donnelly also has Asterion Forlonge and The Big Getaway to go chasing with so he’s not short in that department. I’d also like to think It Sure Is will show better over fences than he did over hurdles too.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
          I said to a mate on the Saturday after Cheltenham that if I was Joe Donnelly I’d give Shishkin a shot at the Champion Hurdle. As you say, he’s now won the Gold Cup twice and the race with the next best prestige is probably the Champion Hurdle. Shishkin looks more than capable of improving to win that race and I don’t think it will require a huge step up in form. Donnelly also has Asterion Forlonge and The Big Getaway to go chasing with so he’s not short in that department. I’d also like to think It Sure Is will show better over fences than he did over hurdles too.
          For all his ammunition JP hasn't done the double. In fact Dorothy Paget might be the only one.

Comment

Donnelly lets the trainers decide, only way Shishkin goes CH is if Epatante is injured*

*in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
              Donnelly lets the trainers decide, only way Shishkin goes CH is if Epatante is injured*

*in my opinion
              Yep, he seems to be a fairly laid back owner and trusts in his trainers. My comment was more based on 'If I was Joe Donnelly' rather than a prediction. As you say, Hendo will likely want to win an Arkle and a CH rather than fire two bullets at the CH.

Comment

Champion Trainer Nicky Henderson has expressed he is thinking strongly about following the same footsteps as his superstar Altior with his new star Shishkin by taking him over fences after his win at the Cheltenham festival in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle.

Shishkin and Chantry House
                Last edited by Marty973; 26 March 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Would Angels Breath still be able to participate in Novice Chases next season? He’s spent most of this season out injured but did win 2 graded races (2&3)???

Comment

Originally posted by Marty973 View Post
                    I think it's harder for people to make the case Shishkin will be staying hurdling than it is that he goes over fences.

I've read all that and it's just depend on how his schooling goes in the Autumn - but unless it's bad - I think he'll be aimed at the Arkle. Having already been PTP I can't imagine it's 'bad'.

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                      Would Angels Breath still be able to participate in Novice Chases next season? He’s spent most of this season out injured but did win 2 graded races (2&3)???
                      Hello,

He won a race so no longer a novice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        I think it's harder for people to make the case Shishkin will be staying hurdling than it is that he goes over fences.

I've read all that and it's just depend on how his schooling goes in the Autumn - but unless it's bad - I think he'll be aimed at the Arkle. Having already been PTP I can't imagine it's 'bad'.
                        I think it is only harder to make the case for him staying over hurdles because all the talk and the pricing straight after the Supreme was about him going chasing. If that hadn't have happened then I don't think it would be at all difficult to imagine him going down the Champion Hurdle route. The ante post prices suggest it is definite he is going chasing but if that was the case why would Henderson not just say that? He must have said that initially and then thought it better to keep options open. The market has made no adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          Hello,

He won a race so no longer a novice.
                          Cheers Kev. That’s a shame, I think he looked very decent in his 2 performances this season. I will be looking to cover him where ever he goes next season if he recovers from his injury, I think he looked the best of Hendo’s novice chasers this season

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                            Cheers Kev. That’s a shame, I think he looked very decent in his 2 performances this season. I will be looking to cover him where ever he goes next season if he recovers from his injury, I think he looked the best of Hendo’s novice chasers this season
                            It sounded like a bad injury so I'd advise waiting until NJH gives an update - his price won't change dramatically if he's given the all clear for next season.

Comment

....Dan Skelton;

Expects Third Time Lucki to take high rank amongst British novice hurdlers. Definitely start at 2 miles, might step up to 2.5miles.

Roksana will race over 3 miles next season.

Allmankind will try and avoid Goshen.

Success at this year's Cheltenham Festival may have eluded trainer Dan Skelton, but he believes there are plenty of positives to be taken going forward into next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggs View Post
                                ....Dan Skelton;

Expects Third Time Lucki to take high rank amongst British novice hurdlers. Definitely start at 2 miles, might step up to 2.5miles.

Roksana will race over 3 miles next season.

Allmankind will try and avoid Goshen.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/...-season/178664

I know they are very sweet on Third Time Lucki and those comments add more weight to the strength of this years bumper...

Comment

Working...
                                X