Page 189 of 214 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2137
    Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Crolwey113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandrew99 View Post
    Currently reading through Paul Ferguson's book and I have Mark Howard's on the way. Does anyone get the One Jump Ahead updates? And if so, are these worth the money?
    For me they are.
    Take for example the Cheltenham preview which I think was the last NH he sent.
    End of the mail he gave 4 horses in 'Dates for the Diary' Section
    3 of those have ran since - all 3 winning on subsequent run after Mark giving them including a 10/1 winner.

Always useful snippets - would have flagged Bob Olinger and a few before they ran.

Stable Fat Jockey (Moderator) Kevloaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crolwey113 View Post
    For me they are.
    Take for example the Cheltenham preview which I think was the last NH he sent.
    End of the mail he gave 4 horses in 'Dates for the Diary' Section
    3 of those have ran since - all 3 winning on subsequent run after Mark giving them including a 10/1 winner.

Always useful snippets - would have flagged Bob Olinger and a few before they ran.
    Just as an aside, do you not feel you get that kind of information from this forum?

I have said this already so apologies for repeating myself, but I got OJA last year and didn't even get 25% of the way through... and I haven't bothered this year, yet it's quite easy to spot who is well talked up from there.

It would only take a couple of polite private messages as well to find out the information.

I'm not trying to do them out of sales, but I think this forum genuinly has contributors who are ahead of the curve. If JackieMoon did a 40 to follow I reckon we'd have a rival publication.... and he's one of a good clutch that are more than capable (no disrespect to anyone else there, JM is in my head as I was talking to him earlier today)

The obvious caveat is that the reason I feel I don't need to buy the book is because I know people on here will, so if nobody did it perhaps wouldn't work...

Maybe I just have rose-tinted glasses towards our community though

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Outlaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Just as an aside, do you not feel you get that kind of information from this forum?

I have said this already so apologies for repeating myself, but I got OJA last year and didn't even get 25% of the way through... and I haven't bothered this year, yet it's quite easy to spot who is well talked up from there.

It would only take a couple of polite private messages as well to find out the information.

I'm not trying to do them out of sales, but I think this forum genuinly has contributors who are ahead of the curve. If JackieMoon did a 40 to follow I reckon we'd have a rival publication.... and he's one of a good clutch that are more than capable (no disrespect to anyone else there, JM is in my head as I was talking to him earlier today)

The obvious caveat is that the reason I feel I don't need to buy the book is because I know people on here will, so if nobody did it perhaps wouldn't work...

Maybe I just have rose-tinted glasses towards our community though
    On Uk based rules horses for sure, but i would argue the ptp scene unless individuals have a paid membership with (www.p2p.ie), the information provided on PTP recruits keeps you in the loop year after year,and is much cheaper than getting a membership with said website(disclaimer very good website)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    On Uk based rules horses for sure, but i would argue the ptp scene unless individuals have a paid membership with (www.p2p.ie), the information provided on PTP recruits keeps you in the loop year after year,and is much cheaper than getting a membership with said website(disclaimer very good website)
    Which P2P horses are going to run that someone like COD on here doesn't post about though?

I honestly don't feel I missed out last year, and I am not worried this year.

Of course, we're only talking about £15 per book really so that's just an absolute non-amount in the grand scheme of things as I sore past 5 figure stakes.... but even so, I don't feel obliged to buy them and certainly don't have FOMO.

I don't know Cod well enough but i'm guessing he doesn't have the contacts Declan has(could be wrong) your essentially paying for his opinions and anything he hears through his network at the end of the day that he is happy to include. We all know the forum is great hence why we are all communicating so regularly Mr rose spectacles

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, but plenty get something from the books and regardless of what you stake if you can't find a way of making a few worthy bets from anything inside you've clearly got the game by the "proverbials"

I don't know Cod well enough but i'm guessing he doesn't have the contacts Declan has(could be wrong) your essentially paying for his opinions and anything he hears through his network at the end of the day that he is happy to include. We all know the forum is great hence why we are all communicating so regularly Mr rose spectacles

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, but plenty get something from the books and regardless of what you stake if you can't find a way of making a few worthy bets from anything inside you've clearly got the game by the "proverbials"
    That does hit the nail on the head though... .you are paying for 'inside info' .... and it is feck all really as an outlay.

My point is kinda this though, I've got the 19/20 copy literally next to me under the desk, reaching for it now.... (and this is the one I got not even 1/4 through).... I'll open on a random page.

Sebastapol, Snapdragon Fire, Tea Clipper, Thais Toir and Thomas Patrick mentioned.

I just flicked to another page, it's near the start so the 'top 40' - freaking Envoi Allen, do me a favour?!

Back one page, Emitom aqnd Dolcita, now that's pretty good.... but Dolcita was put up on here before the book came out (and that's a fact) and Emitom was definitely a talking horse on here too.

That really was random, but what are the absolute nuggets coming from these books that I would miss out on?

Still, I admit, for £15 for the book or whatever it is, if you're into horse racing then you're not wasting money... it's enjoyable, but I don't think it's a 'must-have' by any stretch.

That does hit the nail on the head though... .you are paying for 'inside info' .... and it is feck all really as an outlay.

My point is kinda this though, I've got the 19/20 copy literally next to me under the desk, reaching for it now.... (and this is the one I got not even 1/4 through).... I'll open on a random page.

Sebastapol, Snapdragon Fire, Tea Clipper, Thais Toir and Thomas Patrick mentioned.

I just flicked to another page, it's near the start so the 'top 40' - freaking Envoi Allen, do me a favour?!

Back one page, Emitom aqnd Dolcita, now that's pretty good.... but Dolcita was put up on here before the book came out (and that's a fact) and Emitom was definitely a talking horse on here too.

That really was random, but what are the absolute nuggets coming from these books that I would miss out on?

Still, I admit, for £15 for the book or whatever it is, if you're into horse racing then you're not wasting money... it's enjoyable, but I don't think it's a 'must-have' by any stretch.
    He doesn't confess to say "you won't of heard of most of my main horses to follow" thou does he? and for the record he's happy to print on the front of this years book that to Sp blind they have returned profit the last two editions as saying as much. As eluded thou, delve into the ptp write ups and many of the trainer/stable sections and am confident 99%+ of readers will gain something from them surely. You really would need an encyclopaedic knowledge of both form/pedigrees/sales & overseas action not to. The French Revolution with James Rev was particular good last year and offered interesting opinions on quite a few.

We might meet in the middle in another half an hour

He doesn't confess to say "you won't of heard of most of my main horses to follow" thou does he? and for the record he's happy to print on the front of this years book that to Sp blind they have returned profit the last two editions as saying as much. As eluded thou, delve into the ptp write ups and many of the trainer/stable sections and am confident 99%+ of readers will gain something from them surely. You really would need an encyclopaedic knowledge of both form/pedigrees/sales & overseas action not to. The French Revolution with James Rev was particular good last year and offered interesting opinions on quite a few.

We might meet in the middle in another half an hour
    Well would you like me to pick 40 horses to follow and we'll see how I do against SP?

If Envoi Allen is allowed, I'd fancy my chances to be honest.

I am profitable for 10 years in a row at Cheltenham, 5+ years in a row overall (which is since I started recording it) and I'd be happy to slap that on a book cover

It's a bit of a cop out to have "40 to follow" and put Envoi Allen in. Who the feck is buying that book (choosing to spend money on a horse racing book) that hasn't heard of Envoi Allen, the Champion Bumper winner?

It's a disgrace

No need to meet in the middle, I admit the book is worth £15.

I just prefer the forum and then for the horses that do run, I get to see myself AND I hear about the hype upon entry on the small chance I missed it.
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 30th September 2020 at 11:20 PM.

Well would you like me to pick 40 horses to follow and we'll see how I do against SP?

If Envoi Allen is allowed, I'd fancy my chances to be honest.

I am profitable for 10 years in a row at Cheltenham, 5+ years in a row overall (which is since I started recording it) and I'd be happy to slap that on a book cover
    Sure whilst you're at it get cracking with the weekly rival video to Upping the ante you was keen to do too

With a bit of luck he will be at an event in a pub my pal has recently bought next year if/when the restrictions are lifted. You can offer him some advice clearly or be on the panel as FJF leader

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Hardy Eustace's Avatar
    I definitely prefer the forum there will be more winners from here than the will in OJA - that is undeniable IMO. That said I am a bit of a tart and love national hunt racing so have ordered OJA more for enjoyment (and excitment that the season is just about to start) than because it is going to make me any money.