Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Could Coronavirus cancel the Festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 4 classics will be postponed and Royal Ascot will not be open to the public, will be behind closed doors of given the go ahead. Gonna be a looooong summer for sport

Comment

• I’ll never claim to be flat educated but this must create chaos for the breeding industry.
      I really feel for anyone who invested heavily in breeding 3 years ago with a view to 2020 being payback...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
        I’ll never claim to be flat educated but this must create chaos for the breeding industry.
        I really feel for anyone who invested heavily in breeding 3 years ago with a view to 2020 being payback...
        I’d imagine they could afford the losses

Comment

• Originally posted by Quevega View Post
          I’d imagine they could afford the losses
          You’re generalising there Q, not every owner/breeder is a Godolphin or Cheveley Park, for every big boy there are a dozen small independent operations, this crisis is hitting absolutely everyone and the fallout from it will be felt for far longer than any recession we’ve known.

As horse breeding is 3/4 year plan there may well be people, every day Joes, who decided to live the dream and put everything into breeding a few in 2017/2018 who need a couple of two year olds to be good.
          I expect the waters are even muddier for 2020 breeding, how do you put a value on a horse who might have won the Greenham, Guinneas and Derby but won’t see a racecourse until the Autumn.

They talk about hundreds of pro and semi pro football clubs disappearing as a result of this, I dread to think of how racing will look in the next year or two....

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            You’re generalising there Q, not every owner/breeder is a Godolphin or Cheveley Park, for every big boy there are a dozen small independent operations, this crisis is hitting absolutely everyone and the fallout from it will be felt for far longer than any recession we’ve known.

As horse breeding is 3/4 year plan there may well be people, every day Joes, who decided to live the dream and put everything into breeding a few in 2017/2018 who need a couple of two year olds to be good.
            I expect the waters are even muddier for 2020 breeding, how do you put a value on a horse who might have won the Greenham, Guinneas and Derby but won’t see a racecourse until the Autumn.

They talk about hundreds of pro and semi pro football clubs disappearing as a result of this, I dread to think of how racing will look in the next year or two....
            I was definitely generalising
            And almost certainly everyone will be impacted in some fashion
            Unfortunately
            I suppose I categorised breeding operations as a luxury pastime
            I agree that this is not always the case.

Comment

Working...
            X