Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Could Coronavirus cancel the Festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 people who we went with have subsequently had it. The other 4 of us have been fine but probably had it too. Appears lots now seem to have had it at Cheltenham.

Comment

• No-one knows if they've 'had it' unless they've had a test. Of those, no-one can know when they caught it.

I went with a group of 12 and the only one with symptoms reckons he got it the Saturday after Cheltenham - a dinner party where 13 of 25 have had symptoms.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
        No-one knows if they've 'had it' unless they've had a test. Of those, no-one can know when they caught it.

I went with a group of 12 and the only one with symptoms reckons he got it the Saturday after Cheltenham - a dinner party where 13 of 25 have had symptoms.
        Technically yes, but when 5 people all get a fever, cough and sore throat all at the same time as this pandemic then it’s most likely that. Figures on the number of asymptomatic people are quite big. 50% of the 10,000 people tested in Iceland who had Covid were asymptomatic.

Comment

• Originally posted by charlie View Post
          5 people who we went with have subsequently had it. The other 4 of us have been fine but probably had it too. Appears lots now seem to have had it at Cheltenham.
          I have come round to believing this is how numbers will generally play out - i.e. 40ish % have no symptoms at all. A healthy immune system is the best defence to this but there does seem to be some unidentified factor making this really bad for some people and not just the elderly.

Comment

• I went with a coach full on Tuesday and 10 others on the Wednesday, nobody has it from our group.

I would imagine everyone here who went went to exactly the same places so it is very possible that it wasn’t caught at cheltenham itself

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
              I went with a coach full on Tuesday and 10 others on the Wednesday, nobody has it from our group.

I would imagine everyone here who went went to exactly the same places so it is very possible that it wasn’t caught at cheltenham itself
              Agreed. More likely that it happened in pubs or restaurants away from the course.
              Last edited by archie; 28 March 2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• The Board of Horse Racing Ireland (HRI) met today and in response to the need to provide as much clarity as possible to the racing industry, in very uncertain times, the Board agreed it was prudent to bring the 2019/2020 National Hunt season to a close at this point.

Comment

• That's a shame, but probably not surprising

Comment

• Inevitable I guess.
                    It does mean we’ll see something of a bonanza later this year, and this applies to all sports, though trainers will need to consider placing carefully and not have horses over the top come March...

Comment

• There are fears the mass gathering of more than 250,000 people during the Cheltenham Festival last month helped spread the disease widely across the country as famous faces and members of the public who attended have tested positive.The comedian Lee Mack spent two days at the pinnacle of the jump ra

the story isn't going away

Comment

• Originally posted by robith View Post
                        Poor and boredom journalism.
                        No mention of the football stadiums that were full that week or the overcrowded trains and buses entering every UK city from all directions, or indeed pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, nightclubs, gyms etc etc etc that continued to fully operate until a week after the festival ended.
                        The Times really should know better...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Poor and boredom journalism.
                          No mention of the football stadiums that were full that week or the overcrowded trains and buses entering every UK city from all directions, or indeed pubs, restaurants, cinemas, theatres, nightclubs, gyms etc etc etc that continued to fully operate until a week after the festival ended.
                          The Times really should know better...
                          Does anyone know of a person that attended Cheltenham that was hospitalised since ? It is three weeks now.

Comment

• Completely agree with Isty. If Lee Mack caught it from his driver while travelling to the event, it's hardly Cheltenham's fault. He'd presumably have blamed Tesco if he was being driven to the supermarket.

Comment

• Probably another week until horseracing is in the clear but if people kept an open mind about Cheltenham they might be asking if there is anything to learn from the apparent absence of cases ? absence of kids ? being outdoors ?

A more balanced article here

The Jockey Club has defended its decision to proceed with the Festival after Andrew Parker Bowles became the latest high-profile attendee to report subsequent symptoms consistent with coronavirus

They are still contact tracing in Ireland ...

However, to date there has been just one case linked to the Festival – a man diagnosed with Covid-19 two weeks after he returned to Ireland. He has not been named and it is unclear where he became infected.
                              Last edited by Old Vic; 3 April 2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• BBC jumping on the bandwagon, shouldn't be surprised from the BBC...

There are "serious questions" about why the Cheltenham Festival went ahead during the coronavirus outbreak, the shadow sports minister says.

Comment

Working...
                                X