Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) kinloch brae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    You are coming back though, right?
    We are in uncertain times but that is definitely my intention. Hopefully, a bit earlier than usual.

By then fingers crossed we will have had Aintree, Fairyhouse and Punchestown, even if they are run behind closed doors.

Good luck to all and keep safe.

Any Thurlex thoughts ? The card rather than the track.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    Any Thurlex thoughts ? The card rather than the track.
    Sorry, I have only just seen your post.

It had been my original intention to take a break but it could well be that won't happen as I need to fill my time like anyone else.

Again apologies if this seems like after timing but I had two bets, Mary Frances @ 3/1 and Major Robinson @ 14/1 (5p Rule 4) EW.

Unfortunately, Moyhena put paid to Mary Frances but the bumper horse travelled well and I thought was value for more than the winning margin. I had no inside information but it was an eyecatching booking.

The mare won the first race nicely and should go in again but the favourite looks one to avoid. The only other one I thought about backing was Myth Buster but even at 3/1 I didn't think you could trust him. Again his jumping wasn't good enough.

No bets tomorrow although looking forward to the bumper, 330,000 versus 220,000. At Downpatrick! I was thinking back to Jeremy Maxwell and some of the good horses he used to train.

Yousayitbest didn't look another Bob Olinger to me but we will see.

Quite enjoying one meeting a day. It concentrates the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kinloch brae View Post
    Sorry, I have only just seen your post.

It had been my original intention to take a break but it could well be that won't happen as I need to fill my time like anyone else.

Again apologies if this seems like after timing but I had two bets, Mary Frances @ 3/1 and Major Robinson @ 14/1 (5p Rule 4) EW.

Unfortunately, Moyhena put paid to Mary Frances but the bumper horse travelled well and I thought was value for more than the winning margin. I had no inside information but it was an eyecatching booking.

The mare won the first race nicely and should go in again but the favourite looks one to avoid. The only other one I thought about backing was Myth Buster but even at 3/1 I didn't think you could trust him. Again his jumping wasn't good enough.

No bets tomorrow although looking forward to the bumper, 330,000 versus 220,000. At Downpatrick! I was thinking back to Jeremy Maxwell and some of the good horses he used to train.

Yousayitbest didn't look another Bob Olinger to me but we will see.

Quite enjoying one meeting a day. It concentrates the mind.
    Sadly, Yousayitbest weak in the market and pulled. Race of the day ruined.

Three to take from a pretty ordinary day.

Gearoid O'Loughlin who continues to show that he can get results from a very small team. Perhaps he will get one or two more?

On the equine front, On The Sod and Ballyadam. On The Sod jumps and stays well and that should win him more races in a weak division. As expected Ballyadam probably beat nothing very easily.

Interesting that bookmakers haven't really been drawn in by Codd's post race comments.

At the moment it remains all about hype. He has won what at this stage looks no more than an ordinary point to point, got beaten by two decent, but not brilliant bumper horses and then easily beat what looked a very poor field yesterday.

Who knows what that amounts to?

If you are picking holes should he even have come off the bridle yesterday? There was that point where he had to be shaken up to pick up the leader and although he pulled away you could hardly say he was running away through the line.

My guess, and that's all it can be, is that he may lack a gear. More information required but will we get that this season?

Requested a price on Bear Ghylls for the Ballymore just to see how defensive it would be. I think 66/1 is quite defensive given the connections.

Champion Fat Jockey (Moderator) Kevloaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinloch brae View Post
    Interesting that bookmakers haven't really been drawn in by Codd's post race comments.

At the moment it remains all about hype. He has won what at this stage looks no more than an ordinary point to point, got beaten by two decent, but not brilliant bumper horses and then easily beat what looked a very poor field yesterday.

Who knows what that amounts to?

If you are picking holes should he even have come off the bridle yesterday? There was that point where he had to be shaken up to pick up the leader and although he pulled away you could hardly say he was running away through the line.

My guess, and that's all it can be, is that he may lack a gear. More information required but will we get that this season?
    With regards to him"coming off the bridle" - that must have different levels and meanings.
    He got sat on (bumped along) for one 'bump' at a time and responded to go back on the bridle and then he just sauntered away on the bridle.
    If he hadn't been bumped a few times, I'm sure he'd have still won on the bridle - perhaps he was just getting a bit of an education?

Boring times when I'm /we're having to interpret a bumper win isn't it!

May lack a gear though as you rightly said... tactical speed an issue for him in a Ballymore? More of a galloping type? Better fit for the Supreme?

As you say, up in grade I'm sure we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    With regards to him"coming off the bridle" - that must have different levels and meanings.
    He got sat on (bumped along) for one 'bump' at a time and responded to go back on the bridle and then he just sauntered away on the bridle.
    If he hadn't been bumped a few times, I'm sure he'd have still won on the bridle - perhaps he was just getting a bit of an education?

Boring times when I'm /we're having to interpret a bumper win isn't it!

May lack a gear though as you rightly said... tactical speed an issue for him in a Ballymore? More of a galloping type? Better fit for the Supreme?

As you say, up in grade I'm sure we'll see
    Don't worry I could bore people silly talking about bumpers for a very long time. I have more success in these races than anywhere else. At the other end of the scale my success rate in chases is dreadful.

I may be totally wrong about the gear thing but at the moment I would see Ballyadam as more of an Albert Bartlett type than a Supreme one. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if Bob Olinger who I flagged up earlier did have enough pace to be effective at the minimum trip.

Of course they have to prove that they are actually good enough for any of these races and there is a fair chance we won't see them again before the new season.

Some 'experts' have been lauding the Champion Bumper but at the moment I am sticking with the idea that it was an ordinary renewal. So my first inclination would be to try and look elsewhere for next year's novice winners.