Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Upping the Ante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think their 'best stuff' (a term I use very loosely) is the earlier episodes because they are forced to think about finding big priced winners/non obvious bets. Must admit the deeper we get into the season the less I like them both. No issue listening to them in October because it gets the Cheltenham juices flowing, but do i really need to listen to David Jennings tipping up Itchy Feet mid Jan, or short priced favs like Champ as we approach Feb? No thanks

Comment

I know the format of Upping The Ante has its faults, including missed prices etc, but the programme goes out on a Tuesday late afternoon, once a week, so, often the prices are less than they were on saturday/sunday when the in-running hover-masters try to take the pre-race prices, if they can.

I take it as a compliment when they select something that I have backed, or am considering backing for a race.

Its not really comparing like-with-like on price. between us and their format.

If we were only allowed to post on the Fat Jockey format once on a Tuesday afternoon, on our two selections for the week, and only then take the prices available, we would have shorter prices too.

A day will come when the whole antepost market for prices will be suspended for all key trials races just prior to races starting, and then a new set of prices put up shortly after these trial races (B365 do this for most antepost runners already).

I would be happier with that, than the restricted accounts that come with hovering over an in-running price to see how it performs in its trial, and try and beat the bookies to the button.

Maybe everyone offering antepost cashout, in return for suspending prices when trial races are in-running would be a good compromise. We would all love cashout from all firms.

There are many horses on Fat Jockey that are put up much earlier than their trial runs, with big prices, that are championed by our great forum writers, and gain a following, who go on to run well in their trial races and see their prices collapse. - This, to me, is the definition of having good judgement and being good at spotting horses, prices, etc, before they run in trial races.

Latest Exhibition, Tronador and Column Of Fire are great examples of this, and long may these opinions, the excellent reasoning and information-sharing continue.
      Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 29 January 2020, 10:58 AM.
      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Upping The Ante Today.

David Jennings

Lisp 12/1
        To Win Any Race

Front View
        To Win Any Race

——————————

Gavin Lynch

Chacun Pour Soi 5/2 NRNB
        Champion Chase

Phoenix Way 8/1
        Pertemps Final
        "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Was it Quevega that made an excellent case for Phoenix Way on here? Probably time to get him onside as I’ve nothing else backed in this race.

Comment

Gavin Lynch is stealing a living. Chacun 5/2, Paisley Park 7/4, envoi allen 11/4. Did anyone really need help picking those horses out after they had got to that price

Comment

Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
              Gavin Lynch is stealing a living. Chacun 5/2, Paisley Park 7/4, envoi allen 11/4. Did anyone really need help picking those horses out after they had got to that price
              Add Phoenix Way to your list! Horse probably won't be any shorter on the day. 'Upping the Ante' indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post

Next year I might do a Kevloaf versus Upping The Ante.

I'd be picking Latest Exhibition and Itchy Feet over their two today, if I have to do it today.
                Both 8/1

Chacun Pour Soi, tipped up at 5/2
                Can you call that a tip?

I have been crabbed on here for backing too many before, and it is clearly different than picking just one HOWEVER I can assure you it's more profitable than that... is that his only selecton in the race?

I am going to do it next year.

Pisses me off.

He gets PAID to do that? Literally given money, in exchange to put up bets? That is what he's put up?

I might go on the youtube video and just put up links to my own ante post diary instead
                Last edited by Kevloaf; 4 February 2020, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post

Next year I might do a Kevloaf versus Upping The Ante.

I'd be picking Latest Exhibition and Itchy Feet over their two today, if I have to do it today.
                  Both 8/1
                  Jennings has put up Itchy Feet at 20's already though, you wouldn't be having that, you hate being under another's price

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                    Upping The Ante Today.

David Jennings

Lisp 12/1
                    To Win Any Race

Front View
                    To Win Any Race

——————————

Gavin Lynch

Chacun Pour Soi 5/2 NRNB
                    Champion Chase

Phoenix Way 8/1
                    Pertemps Final
                    ...glad I got on Lisp any race @ 20-1 following its Plumpton bonus race win, interesting where he pops up next month.

Front View @ 16-1 any race this morning hopefully proves worthwhile, it seems Hills have noticed the glitch as it’s now 12-1.
                    Last edited by Eggs; 4 February 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                      Jennings has put up Itchy Feet at 20's already though, you wouldn't be having that, you hate being under another's price
                      no I wouldn't, Saldier at 6/1 instead then
                      Or Conflated is a better bet - and Column Of Fire

If I was on with Gavin Lynch and he put up CPS at 5/2 I'd have just ripped off my shirt to reveal an #ElginWInsAll t-shirt at 100/1

They'll obviously get some good prices, but it's f****g appauling to tip Chacun Pour Soi at 5/2 after we've just had the Dublin Racing Festival.

Comment

I've been watching it for a while now, find it an interesting watch and they do tip some good horses at decent prices, although i mostly tend to pick my own but any extra insight is always handy. I do prefer David Jennings as he does seem to stick to his selections (most of the time) regardless of recent runs or changing in the betting. Gavin has been all over DDS to then change to CPS on the back of a recent win with DDS not even running i find a little strange due to how convinced he was in the earlier episodes, not something i would do. All opinions at the end of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by Super Raven View Post
                          I've been watching it for a while now, find it an interesting watch and they do tip some good horses at decent prices, although i mostly tend to pick my own but any extra insight is always handy. I do prefer David Jennings as he does seem to stick to his selections (most of the time) regardless of recent runs or changing in the betting. Gavin has been all over DDS to then change to CPS on the back of a recent win with DDS not even running i find a little strange due to how convinced he was in the earlier episodes, not something i would do. All opinions at the end of the day!
                          DJ's reaction when Gavin said he was going for CPS had and still has me in stitches

As for changing your mind, in this game I think it's a good quality to have.

Comment

I think the problem particularly Lynch has is that he is terrified of his selections being all wrong when people look back on them after the fact.

What he seems to not realise is that even if his selections do all turn out to be wrong if he states the reason he is tipping that particular horse and they make complete sense at the time of his tipping then it is not something that can be used to bash him when people look back with the benefit of hindsight.

Comment

I just watch if for the entertainment and that's it. This place in ten times more informative that anything you will see these two say

Comment

Originally posted by Eireman View Post
                                I think the problem particularly Lynch has is that he is terrified of his selections being all wrong when people look back on them after the fact.
                                But in his mind he was wrong the first time going with DDS, he's entitled to change it, after seeing CPS run again, since the first time.

Originally posted by Eireman View Post
                                What he seems to not realise is that even if his selections do all turn out to be wrong if he states the reason he is tipping that particular horse and they make complete sense at the time of his tipping then it is not something that can be used to bash him when people look back with the benefit of hindsight.
                                You'll always find someone having a dig at a tipster/pundit/pro gambler, I think it's the nature of the beast by being in the public eye. They'll know this too. Whether it's deserved or not is another thing.

For example, I've not hidden what I think of Tom Segal, and judging by the forum I'd say I'm not alone, that said there will be someone, somewhere, maybe thinking he is the nuts, because of one big winner he's had in the past for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X