Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The Coral Cup Handicap Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post

My own choice early is PIC D’OHRY, and one bookmaker offered 40/1 for less than an hour which some of the forum interested in the horse managed to snaffle, along with me. The horse returns from a break after falling on his novice chase debut, and is due to run tomorrow over 2M3F over hurdles, fingers crossed he keeps the fires of that bet burning for a while yet.
    Dave Jennings agreed on todays podcast.

So, unlucky

Comment

While on the County Hurdle thread, I thought about Thomas Darby, but I think this might be the race for him.

He's not good enough to win a CH, and although he did well in the Supreme on the Old Course, and extra year on his back I think the extra distance will beinf out improvement.

Before he went chasing I thought he'd potentially end up a JLT/Marsh horse and now, because he's with Olly Murphy I'm starting to think he's a bit of a player here.

Olly Murphy was assistant with Gordon Elliott when Diamond King was plotted and won the Coral Cup, and if I'm right in recalling, Olly was pretty much doing a Harry Fry for Nicholls or Joseph for AOB at the time? The owners transferred Diamond King to Olly Murphy I've just seen as well.

I'm maybe jumping the gun now but they've sent him another horse, and would a plot for the Coral Cup be on their minds?

Entered tomorrow over 2m3f....

I dopn't know what I want to happen, but I've just convinced myself this is an absolute plot and Thomas Darby wins all.

Placing in a Supreme then returning in a handicap would be of interest for any horse at 33/1 surely?

No point putting me off this, I reckon I'll have backed it before you've read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        While on the County Hurdle thread, I thought about Thomas Darby, but I think this might be the race for him.

He's not good enough to win a CH, and although he did well in the Supreme on the Old Course, and extra year on his back I think the extra distance will beinf out improvement.

Before he went chasing I thought he'd potentially end up a JLT/Marsh horse and now, because he's with Olly Murphy I'm starting to think he's a bit of a player here.

Olly Murphy was assistant with Gordon Elliott when Diamond King was plotted and won the Coral Cup, and if I'm right in recalling, Olly was pretty much doing a Harry Fry for Nicholls or Joseph for AOB at the time? The owners transferred Diamond King to Olly Murphy I've just seen as well.

I'm maybe jumping the gun now but they've sent him another horse, and would a plot for the Coral Cup be on their minds?

Entered tomorrow over 2m3f....

I dopn't know what I want to happen, but I've just convinced myself this is an absolute plot and Thomas Darby wins all.

Placing in a Supreme then returning in a handicap would be of interest for any horse at 33/1 surely?

No point putting me off this, I reckon I'll have backed it before you've read it.
        He's a pathetic 14/1 or 12/1 any race with WH and 365 so going to have to gamble on the target.

Gut is telling me it's Diamond King again, and that the step up will be the thing to bring out the improvement.

I'm on 33/1 1 pt e/w
        5 places with PP
        full cashout available

Comment

Dave Jennings agreed on todays podcast.
          An
          So, unlucky
          Yep, I can cash out if it goes either very badly or very well for Pic D tomorrow, just be a dead-end to scramble out of, if he tamely falls away or if he romps home. The latter would probably lead to a healthy hike to his 146 rating, and wreck any handicap race apart from the Betfair who have already announced the weights for their race in three weeks.

Nicholls has already mused about a run in the Betfair Hurdle if he wins this weekend.
          The Betfair has a 5lb penalty for any hurdle win, and 8lb for two, so a good win tomorrow and he would be bound for Newbury on a decent mark, and Cheltenham may not define his season. Who knows.
          Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 17 January 2020, 11:02 PM.
          "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Convinced me Kev. 36.75/1 5 Places with WH, so I've had a small go.

Comment

I might back him tomorrow.... no denying he's clearly well handicapped on some of his French form.

I just think people got a bit carried away because he was a forum horse for the Triumph and his 'edge' on having that experience is now lost.... but he's clearly got a chance

I'm still less convinced that he's being aimed at a Coral Cup.... Nicholls and Owner will be thrilled to bits to win tomorrow and especially a Betfair Hurdle in it's own right.... winning a Coral Cup after that would mean he's got absolutely LOADS in hand from his current mark...

I'd rather back him tomorrow, then back him in the Betfair Hurdle, than I would for the Coral Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                Convinced me Kev. 36.75/1 5 Places with WH, so I've had a small go.
                I'm sorry

I've gone with PP for the full cashout (and backed it twice) so if I get scared about him going County Hurdle I can get out of half the bet.

I reckon Olly will be pretty bullish and open though, he was on the Betfair Preview last year regarding Thomas Darby and Itchy Feet.

Comment

Pic Dorhy To Win The 14:25 Ascot & The Coral Cup
                  66/1

Might appeal to some people

Comment

Pic Dorhy To Win The 14:25 Ascot & The Coral Cup
                    66/1

Might appeal to some people
                    I think if he wins the first, he can't win the second myself!

Comment

Backed Eglantine du Seuil 20-1 ew. (also for Martin Pipe)

entered in betfair and given extra 2lb which puts her on 142.
                      Willie thinks she needs further and him searching for a mark is a big clue.
                      Obviously a course winner and looks like she needs further and will run on through horses just fine up that hill (based on the last time)
                      142 for a previous season novice winner is pretty good.
                      I think he ran Cut the Mustard in the county last year for same connections (rated 137) who was beaten 36 lengths in her mares novice effort.
                      142 just looks a competitive enough mark to me. Her runs this year have been disappointing but has been wrong at the weights both times and up against it, and it may just have been the plan to come back for a handicap if she turned out not to be a world beater.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                        Backed Eglantine du Seuil 20-1 ew. (also for Martin Pipe)

entered in betfair and given extra 2lb which puts her on 142.
                        Willie thinks she needs further and him searching for a mark is a big clue.
                        Obviously a course winner and looks like she needs further and will run on through horses just fine up that hill (based on the last time)
                        142 for a previous season novice winner is pretty good.
                        I think he ran Cut the Mustard in the county last year for same connections (rated 137) who was beaten 36 lengths in her mares novice effort.
                        142 just looks a competitive enough mark to me. Her runs this year have been disappointing but has been wrong at the weights both times and up against it, and it may just have been the plan to come back for a handicap if she turned out not to be a world beater.
                        Good shout that q... like that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                          I think if he wins the first, he can't win the second myself!
                          Agreed, he may be one decent quality race win away from not being weighted to run (or win) a race like this.
                          Needs to place today, not win.
                          "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Well Pic certainly won't be going up the weights Pretty disappointing run.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                              Well Pic certainly won't be going up the weights Pretty disappointing run.
                              Hes a 2miler.
                              Hopefully drops for the imperial cup.
                              https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                              Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Go on Thomas Darby you good thing

Comment

Working...
                                X