Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The County Handicap Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have added quoi de neuf 33s for this, liked his great wood run, 4th in only his 2nd handicap hurdle , also raced on the worst ground all the way round, rated 133 with a betfair hurdle which is an excellant fest route.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds Nest View Post
      Have added quoi de neuf 33s for this, liked his great wood run, 4th in only his 2nd handicap hurdle , also raced on the worst ground all the way round, rated 133 with a betfair hurdle which is an excellant fest route.
      Quoi De Neuf translates to "What's Up"... who remembers What's Up Boys absolutely flying home to snatch the Coral Cup???

Sorry got distracted...

Yes he's a promising young horse on a nice mark. I think if I fancied him here at 33s though I'd be more inclined to send those funds to the 20s for the Betfair Hurdle which looks just as likely to be the 'main' target and it's a fair enough price. An interesting horse for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
        who remembers What's Up Boys absolutely flying home to snatch the Coral Cup???
        I have a better recollection of him powering to the line to win a Hennessy a few years later, 25/1 in the morning.

As for the County it usually pays to side with unexposed types/novices nut you need to have a rating that gets you in and not sure Quoi De Neuf has that yet.

I keep backing Aramon here NRNB, should stop really as there'll be a dozen coups targeting this but his crudentials to me are clear...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          I have a better recollection of him powering to the line to win a Hennessy a few years later, 25/1 in the morning.

As for the County it usually pays to side with unexposed types/novices nut you need to have a rating that gets you in and not sure Quoi De Neuf has that yet.

I keep backing Aramon here NRNB, should stop really as there'll be a dozen coups targeting this but his crudentials to me are clear...
          I remember him getting chinned as an eight year old by Bindaree in the National.
          Very rare for an 8yr old to run that well at the time.

Comment

If anyone doesn't remember it then it has to be worth a look... fast forward to the home straight. Literally 11 or 12 horses in front of him jumping the final flight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ohvHmLMnk

Comment

Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
              If anyone doesn't remember it then it has to be worth a look... fast forward to the home straight. Literally 11 or 12 horses in front of him jumping the final flight! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ohvHmLMnk
              Not seen that before,
              Brilliant finish.
              Screamed National horse as well

Comment

Originally posted by Splinterboy82 View Post
                My early fancy for this is entered in the same novice hurdle as Shishkin at Sandown on Sat...pleased to see an entry post PN fly jabs & hoping he only goes up a couple of lbs to support defo getting in:

Flic Ou Voyou

Got this added to SB NRNB market - introduced at 40/1.

Track experience from last yrs red hot bumper, stand out novice form from Wincanton earlier this season, will appreciate a fast run 2 miles, should sneak in the bottom for a trainer who has previous in the race & where novices / lightly raced hurdlers have done well down the years. Can’t get much on with them but a bit nice & early NRNB is a good point to start for me on this race. I’d imagine following the big DRF hcap hurdle (former Schweppes?) at the weekend & once the novices shake out, this will still look ok so happy with an opening 40s
                Declared at Sandown tomorrow - no Shishkin

Comment

Originally posted by The Beast View Post
                  i expect Sebastipol to enter the picture when he hopefully wins the Scottish county hurdle at Mussleburgh.Ground very important to him and as long as it has good in going description he will put up a performance.
                  Happy with that bugger , tapped for toe but stayed on great . More to come id say , happy with my 40/1 speculative bet

Comment

I can’t get enough on Aramon for this.
                    Given a very tender ride and finished 7l behind the winner, could easily have got a hell of alot closer if he’d wanted.
                    Looks like this race has been the plan all along and has to have a big chance...

Comment

I can’t get enough on Aramon for this.
                      Given a very tender ride and finished 7l behind the winner, could easily have got a hell of alot closer if he’d wanted.
                      Looks like this race has been the plan all along and has to have a big chance...
                      Agree with you on this and caught my eye also, worth noting Arctic Fire ran in the Irish Churdle (albeit 17L behind the winner Faugheen) before winning the County so its definitely one Willie like to target in a low key way.

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post
                        Agree with you on this and caught my eye also, worth noting Arctic Fire ran in the Irish Churdle (albeit 17L behind the winner Faugheen) before winning the County so its definitely one Willie like to target in a low key way.
                        Arctic Fire ran in the 2016 Irish Champion Hurdle before taking a year off and winning the 2017 County Hurdle. So perhaps Aramon is one for the 2021 County.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Boum Photo View Post
                          Arctic Fire ran in the 2016 Irish Champion Hurdle before taking a year off and winning the 2017 County Hurdle. So perhaps Aramon is one for the 2021 County.
                          Totally ignored the dates when going back through his form earlier. 2021 banker then!

Comment

I've re-watched the Irish champion hurdle a couple of times today and the more I see it the more I like Aramon.

He was hampered 2 out by the mistake made by Saglawy, stayed on very well after the last without ever being shown the whip which suggests (along with his price) he was never meant to get close.

I've also taken another look at the big hurdle race over Christmas where he was well beaten, again sat a long way off the pace closed up 5f out but was trapped 3 wide all around the turn and by the time they reached the straight he was 8l behind having traveled far further than the leaders, after jumping the last he was then allowed to canter home in his own time.

I'm not suggesting this has been a plan in the making for a long time but when a race doesn't pan out (like the Christmas run) the horse was well looked after which has protected his mark.
                            148 prior to yesterday, can't see the Irish 'capper doing anything with that mark but have to assume his UK counterpart will throw a couple of pound on, could get in the race off 150.

I'm amazed there's been no reaction and the 25/1 (16/1 NRNB) is still available...

Comment

I've re-watched the Irish champion hurdle a couple of times today and the more I see it the more I like Aramon.

He was hampered 2 out by the mistake made by Saglawy, stayed on very well after the last without ever being shown the whip which suggests (along with his price) he was never meant to get close.

My worry for Aaramon is that if he’s continually finding problems with space and getting out positioned in smaller fields mid race and he’ll need a Luke Skywalker performance to hold that far back in a big field county hurdle and make a break late to win. Hopefully it is the plan as I’ve topped up on him a bit this morning but his racing tactics are going to have to be spot on.

I've also taken another look at the big hurdle race over Christmas where he was well beaten, again sat a long way off the pace closed up 5f out but was trapped 3 wide all around the turn and by the time they reached the straight he was 8l behind having traveled far further than the leaders, after jumping the last he was then allowed to canter home in his own time.

I'm not suggesting this has been a plan in the making for a long time but when a race doesn't pan out (like the Christmas run) the horse was well looked after which has protected his mark.
                              148 prior to yesterday, can't see the Irish 'capper doing anything with that mark but have to assume his UK counterpart will throw a couple of pound on, could get in the race off 150.

I'm amazed there's been no reaction and the 25/1 (16/1 NRNB) is still available...
                              My worry for Aaramon is that if he’s continually finding problems with space and getting out positioned in smaller fields mid race and he’ll need a Luke Skywalker performance to hold that far back in a big field county hurdle and make a break late to win. Hopefully it is the plan as I’ve topped up on him a bit this morning but his racing tactics are going to have to be spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                                Front runners don't win County's, you need to be held up and come late...

Comment

Working...
                                X