Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

How many Festival caps do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One cap - 2006.

Didn't even watch racing then, but couple lads I knew through poker had a table in a box they'd paid for through their firm, and asked if I fancied going. Limo down from London @ ~8am, and a couple of them were hammered by the time we got there, lol.

Good day out, and was lovely having the waitresses just piling Vodka and champagne into us all day. The meal was quite good, too. Didn't enjoy the limo back to London that night, though

Since I got into racing when my legs packed up, I've only ever watched at home or from the villa in 'Rife. I imagine it's a lot more accessible friendly than I remember it being back then, so might have to rent a scooter one year and get down there for some drink driving around the course.

Comment

Originally posted by Joleg View Post
      Have done every Wednesday since 1978 with my dad, it was the thursday the year of the high winds = 41 caps. Sadly i have kept every race card from the festival, i have found another 57 (excluding Wednesdays). Total 98

BY my reckoning i should be getting a card from The Queen on Stayers Hurdle day (not going Tuesday this year)

As i live so close i have been a member for the last 20 odd years
      A true centurion on Festival Thursday.
      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

First year was 1989 for Desert Orchid, 3 days while it was a 3 day festival, then 2 days for a while when it went to 4 days, then 4 days since 2010 for the Commander, I think that's 93 overall so should get the century up in 2021. Do you get substitute appearances for days at the Paddy Power meeting?!

Comment

I've only 5 but I've only been going since 2015. I'm quite lucky that in my line of work there's usually loads of jollies to get on to (everyone in the office knows that I love racing too, so they'll also put my name forward if they can't make it) so I've had some nice touches

2015 - my stag do on Gold Cup day. 20 of us smoking cigars my pal had just brought back from Cuba, and 10 of us clubbed a tenner each to put on Martello Tower who was i was *adamant* was going to win. Bit hazy after that

2016 - One of my clients was a headline sponsor on Tuesday so I got to spend the day in their box. Ignored the guy who ran through the card and tipped the Mullins 4fold but switching Min for Altior and Rock on the Moor at 66/1. Waitress in our box called me common for ordering 3 drinks at once

2018 - got free club tickets to the Tuesday for a jolly but they never showed up so I got to spend the day with my pal instead. Wife came up that night as her mum lives in Cheltenham and we went to Wednesday. Her strategy of backing all the women jockeys paid off when we got 40s on the exchange for Relegate in the bumper. (as an aside my wife has the most amazing off the post free bet story, I'll tell that another time)

2019 - founder of my company offered me and my team his jolly space. Turns out it was in the Roux restaurant. Kev nearly cemented me as a permanent office legend with Tobefair. Met Rod Stewart.

Currently working on two routes in for Tuesday/Wednesday this year

Comment

Only been going since 2016 after years of dreaming about it!

2016 - Thu/GC
            2017 - All 4 days. Thought I knew everything about all day drinking but learnt some harsh lessons that week At it til far too late each day and up again for a 7am train the following day. Think i'm still sleeping it off.
            2018 - Tue/Wed
            2019 - Tue/Wed

10 caps so far.

Will be Tue/Wed again this year, the best days to attend in my opinion.

Comment

2019 4 days
              2018 4 days
              2017 4 days
              2016 4 days
              2015 4 days
              2014 2 days
              2013 1 day

23 so far plus down for 4 days this year as well

Comment

Only missed one festival in last 23 or so, when injured my back

Remember 3 days and small crowds.....seems so long ago....weren’t even internet accounts then to worry about being closed

Anyone living anywhere near Cheltenham who goes all 4 days....would recommend looking at membership....as almost get rest of season free.....plus free parking, seats, etc.....I joined couple years ago now living not too far away
                Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Did 3 days in 2018 and all four last year.

Caps 8, 9, 10 and 11 coming this year

Comment

Originally posted by TigerRolllllll View Post
                    Only missed one festival in last 23 or so, when injured my back

Remember 3 days and small crowds.....seems so long ago....weren’t even internet accounts then to worry about being closed

Anyone living anywhere near Cheltenham who goes all 4 days....would recommend looking at membership....as almost get rest of season free.....plus free parking, seats, etc.....I joined couple years ago now living not too far away
                    I've got the membership for the first time this year but I've got the 18-28 one. £210 for everything including the festival is exceptionally good value

Comment

Think I have done all 4 days 2014-2019 (going again this year too), as well as 2 days in 2013, so 26.

Comment

I don't know how people can do all 4 days

Comment

5 caps so far the Friday this March will be my 6th and a big cap at that as it’ll be my stag weekend two weeks before I’m a retained jockey!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                            Easy Kev, just walk right through those turnstiles

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                              If you like racing and you like a drink (and you have forgiving better halves) it’s easy! Best week of the year.

That said, our group is getting tired of Friday’s. Too busy. The weakest card in my view (certainly least punter friendly) and WAY too many coked up lads about, who don’t know what a handicap is. Tues and Thurs my favourite days every year.

Comment

I'd maintain if you can manage to drink 4 days in a row at the same pace, you aren't drinking hard enough

Having 'a few' is for the weak.

I actually like to keep a fairly clear head until it's all over. Helluva lot of time and money spent to start making drunken betting decisions for me

Last edited by Kevloaf; 18 January 2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X