Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

How many Festival caps do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Festival caps do you have?

Someone (sorry, can't remember who) posted the other day that they had x number of caps where x = number of Festival days attended. My tally is
    Gold Cup day 1979 - 1
    All 3 days 1983-2000 apart from 1994 Champion Hurdle day - 53
    First 2 days 2002-2019 - 36
    Thursday 2017 & Friday 2019 - 2

x = 92 so I'm probably no better than evens to get to the ton. This year, 2 for definite and maybe Thursday with Cadmium and/or Friday with Kemboy.

Haha good idea of a thread Archie.

Just the 1 cap for me, gold cup 2018 native river vs mite bite.

Getting called up again this year for gold cup day and if able to get down in time possibly the Thursday as well.

Comment

Before anyone else says it, x has absolutely no connection to anything in terms of opinion on future races!

Comment

dont think i've missed any days since '08. bloody hope they dont go to 5 days!

Comment

12 caps for me so far.
          Been Thursday and Friday every year since 2014 and plan to also do the Tuesday this year.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
            Someone (sorry, can't remember who) posted the other day that they had x number of caps where x = number of Festival days attended. My tally is
            Gold Cup day 1979 - 1

x = 92 so I'm probably no better than evens to get to the ton. This year, 2 for definite and maybe Thursday with Cadmium and/or Friday with Kemboy.
            Long odds on to get 100 surely archie?

Im uncapped and making me debut this year on Tuesday and Wednesday

Comment

Gold Cup day 1979 - 1

That was me Archie, on the England international caps analogy.

Checked back on when I first went, which was 2007 Kauto Star’s Gold Cup year, so I’ve done thirteen so far, which makes 51 caps so far (52 caps less one day when the storm blew the roof off the Guinness village and was abandoned for the day, races caught up following days). 55 caps after this years festival.

On the England international caps list at 51 makes me a Teddy Sheringham at the moment, going up to 55 I would be a Jordan Henderson.

Archie at 92 caps you are between a Bryan Robson and a Billy Wright.
              Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 16 January 2020, 03:32 PM.
              "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                going up to 55 I would be a Jordan Henderson[/B].
                Oh, bad luck.

Comment

....I wouldn’t go these days, but I have been a periodic visitor over the years. No idea how many times, although I was there in ‘87 when The Thinker won in the snow and Eddie the Eagle opened a new stand.

I backed Fred Winter’s Observe ridden by John Francome to win the first race that day @ 16-1, pity the meeting wasn’t cancelled immediately after that!!

Comment

Oh, bad luck.
                    True dat.....

Comment

First festival was 1990, did all three days up to the introduction of the four day festival.
                      Did all four days until Imperial Commander's Gold Cup when it lashed down all day and was so busy the only place to get out of the rain was the portable toilet by the burger stand in the middle of the course, vowed that day never to attend Gold Cup day again.
                      Since that year I've done first three days each year.
                      Not sure how many caps that gives me, might have notched up the century ?

Comment

Good idea archie!

I went for the first time on Tuesday in 1993, the Tuesday in 1994, Tuesday and Wednesday 95-98 then haven't missed a day since the first day of 1999. With 2001 being cancelled and the fourth day coming in from 2006, by my maths that's 84 caps.

So by 2023, I should have the ton up

Comment

I'll be getting caps 12, 13 (and possibly 14) this year!

'99 was the first Cheltenham festival that I watched in full (in the pub). Sprinter Sacre's Arkle win was my first visit to Prestbury Park and I wouldn't miss making trip for anything these days.

Comment

Been going every day, every year since 1982, apart from missing whole week in 1987 when I was saving to get married and of course F&M year. Can't possibly work it out but it's a lot !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
                              Been going every day, every year since 1982, apart from missing whole week in 1987 when I was saving to get married and of course F&M year. Can't possibly work it out but it's a lot !!!
                              It’s been 59 caps since it went 4 days in 2005. So 18 years x 3 days for 1987 to 2004 is 54 more caps, that’s a mighty 113 caps so far.
                              Spectacular stuff.

That’s one cap off being a Steven Gerrard.

Comment

Working...
                              X