Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Liammet's Avatar

Which race will we lose next year ?

Having this discussion with a few mates over the weekend
    Between six of us we came up with five different races
    Close brothers for me
    How about you guys ?

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) The Don's Avatar
    Tin helmet on...
    Go to a 5 day festival.... add the mares Chase, a mares bumper, a veterans chase, a verterans hurdle, a junior cross country... can’t think what else to add....(defo not a 2m 4F hurdle!)

Personally think stick to 4 days but if they did want a 5th i don’t buy the degrading argument as the above don’t really detract and could add something

Professional Fat Jockey Middle_Of_March's Avatar
    Kim Muir. Amateur rider race will be culled imo.

Kevin Blake made a great argument for it to go last year when they announced a race would be got rid of. In fact, I think I had a few quid on the 7/1 on it to be gone because of him.

Fat Jockey (Hipster Tipster) TCH29's Avatar
    I’d like to lose the Fred Winter. I know it’s improved the Triumph but it’s a handicapped egg and spoon race for children that is nigh on impossible for punters. No form to read and impossible for the handicapper to judge children properly.

Otherwise the Mares’ Novice, but that won’t happen.

On safety grounds suppose it’ll be the NHC or Grand Annual.

I like the Close Brothers; think it produces some decent horses.

Stable Fat Jockey (Moderator) Faugheen_Machine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Tin helmet on...
    Go to a 5 day festival.... add the mares Chase, a mares bumper, a veterans chase, a verterans hurdle, a junior cross country... can’t think what else to add....(defo not a 2m 4F hurdle!)

Personally think stick to 4 days but if they did want a 5th i don’t buy the degrading argument as the above don’t really detract and could add something
    Mares chase is a possibility but the others you mention have no place at the Cheltenham festival. If it goes 5 days then it has to be 30 races.

6 race cards are a bit shit though, especially as it's close to 100 a ticket.

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) Philg123's Avatar
    Get rid of the fox hunters the worst race across the 4 days. Would hate to see the back of the Kim muir or the Fred winter... profitable races and love the excitement of finding a price in the big field handicaps!

Professional Fat Jockey (Moderator) Istabraq's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Tin helmet on...
    I’ve always thought a 5 day festival is inevitable and as you say going down to 6 races a day means only 30 total races so with a Mares chase upcoming only one more race is needed.
    For me that would be a vets chase though I heard a good argument against that 2/3 weeks back when Sandown held their big vets chase.

Mares only bumper, junior cross country and vets hurdle just can’t/won’t happen.

If a race needs to go to accommodate the mares chase then for me it has to be the Close Bros, a race over 2m 4f in a festiaval that already has a Jlt/Marsh, a Ryanair and a Browns Advisory, three suitable alternatives to the Close Bros.

There is an anti amateur feeling around these days but BHA need to respect the history of races like the Kim Muir and the NH Chase, I’m all for moving forward and continual progression but you must respect history...

Apprentice Fat Jockey (3lb claim) Imperial Commander's Avatar
    Think the Close Brothers chase has to be under threat as it's a second 2.5 mile novice chase, not really sure why it's in there. But the 4 miler has already been tinkered with and after last year's palaver then the knives could be out for it. That would be a shame as it's a spectacularly oddball race!

Champion Fat Jockey (Moderator) Kevloaf's Avatar
    I backed it to be the Kim Muir and have nothing more to add as it was purely based on the Kevin Blake FFP monologue.

I'd love it to be the bumper.

Never been a great horse that was winning bumpers, scrap them.

NH racing is about jumping. I don't care about them getting an education blah blah blah, they can do schooling bumpers all they like.... just stop giving out prize money for fannying about on the flat.

If you want flat racing,it's on literally 364 days a year.... we don't need it closing down a day where we've seen Champion Freaking Chase.

Have your bumper races elsewhere, same as Mares races, same as Vets races, same as JLT and the inevitable 'Ryanair Hurdle' when it appears to turn me off the sport completely.

I'd get rid of the Foxhunters as well actually.... just a glorified vets race

Professional Fat Jockey The King Pimm's Avatar
    If it was personal choice I’d get rid of the 4 miler and the Bumper. I don’t like the 4 miler as the horses aren’t ready for it and it cruel to see so many of them struggle and give up. The RSA is hard enough for inexperienced horses never mind another mile of top with amateur jockeys. It’s too much too soon for the horses who enter the 4 mile race. I’d get rid of the bumper for all the same reasons Kev mentioned.