Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Northern Trust Company Novices Handicap Chase 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar the first two, you’d be bold to predict any of the ones in behind would be good enough for graded races next season. Hold The Note, Whatmore and Beakstown were 3rd, 4th & 5th and none of them will be on my radar next season. I doubt I’ll fancy them for the handicaps at the festival either. HTN the only one I liked going in to the race and that was partly down to lazy owner/trainer links to previous horses success in the race.

Imperial Aura won nicely. Not as visually impressive as A Plus Tard the year before, but impressive still. I believe the performance to be strong as I’d be confident that Galvin was ahead of his mark too as he was well plotted and Gordon is clearly still one to follow for the handicaps (which is no news to anyone.)

Later in the week Simply The Betts franked this win though and he’s now up to 157. It wouldn’t take a HUGE leap for Imperial Aura to be in the mix for a Ryanair… but both he and STB are only 25/1 and that just isn’t big enough for me to consider.

I’ll not be surprised to see Galvin well beaten a few times when racing resumes… he’ll potentially be one for the Festival Plate Handicap that I’ll have in the notebook from a while out. He's 147 currently which I'm confident means it'll be in their radar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Bar the first two, you’d be bold to predict any of the ones in behind would be good enough for graded races next season. Hold The Note, Whatmore and Beakstown were 3rd, 4th & 5th and none of them will be on my radar next season. I doubt I’ll fancy them for the handicaps at the festival either. HTN the only one I liked going in to the race and that was partly down to lazy owner/trainer links to previous horses success in the race.

Imperial Aura won nicely. Not as visually impressive as A Plus Tard the year before, but impressive still. I believe the performance to be strong as I’d be confident that Galvin was ahead of his mark too as he was well plotted and Gordon is clearly still one to follow for the handicaps (which is no news to anyone.)

Later in the week Simply The Betts franked this win though and he’s now up to 157. It wouldn’t take a HUGE leap for Imperial Aura to be in the mix for a Ryanair… but both he and STB are only 25/1 and that just isn’t big enough for me to consider.

I’ll not be surprised to see Galvin well beaten a few times when racing resumes… he’ll potentially be one for the Festival Plate Handicap that I’ll have in the notebook from a while out. He's 147 currently which I'm confident means it'll be in their radar.
      Agree with all of that but will be giving beakstown another chance. He’s still on a workable mark and the ground was too soft for him on the Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardy Eustace View Post
        Agree with all of that but will be giving beakstown another chance. He’s still on a workable mark and the ground was too soft for him on the Tuesday.
        He's one I don't get as he's continually talked up but fails to deliver. Still living in the back of the novice hurdle win at Warwick.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          He's one I don't get as he's continually talked up but fails to deliver. Still living in the back of the novice hurdle win at Warwick.
          I was against him pre race and was a bit annoyed he came 5th.

Can't go to hard on him though because Skelton is good enough to get him winning pots at some stage and it will make me look silly.

Comment

I think by looking at the sheer size of him they expected him to improve massively for a fence. The trouble is he seems to have a poor jumping technique. I’d say another year on his side to strengthen up he should be well handicapped off the same mark.

Comment

• Size isn't everything. Clumsy over a hurdle often translates to clumsy over a fence. I'd much prefer a horse who didn't respect hurdles but notices the difference in fences. Unfortunately, this isn't apparent until they go over fences.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
                Size isn't everything. Clumsy over a hurdle often translates to clumsy over a fence. I'd much prefer a horse who didn't respect hurdles but notices the difference in fences. Unfortunately, this isn't apparent until they go over fences.
                Yes agree but I think you can give him another chance or two. He jumped poorly at Cheltenham, so if he does strengthen up and jump even slightly better he should be going close.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceiskey View Post
                  I think by looking at the sheer size of him they expected him to improve massively for a fence. The trouble is he seems to have a poor jumping technique. I’d say another year on his side to strengthen up he should be well handicapped off the same mark.
                  He reminds me of a police horse!

Comment

• Beakstown will probably win a big handicap somewhere on decent group (Paddy Power Gold Cup?)
                    As has been mentioned I imagine Galvin will be plotted up for a handicap chase

Comment

He reminds me of a police horse!
                      Ive just seen this. FM what a line, I did have to smile and chuckle.
                      "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Working...
                      X