Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

State of the Nation: 2 Months to Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Nation: 2 Months to Go

This was an idea for a thread I had a while back but COD's post in the ante post thread made me revisit it as it's (just under) 2 months to go. We could even maybe revisit one month out. The idea is a forum for broader discussion over specific bets and perhaps even discussion on strategy

So let's discuss:

- How are you feeling about the festival?

- How do you feel your current positions are stacking up?

- Where are you strong?

- Where are you weak?

- Anything you've done differently? How's it working?

- How will you be watching?

I've got to pop out to get my lunch cos I hate queuing but I'll have my response up shortly

Comment

-Excited as always. Intrigued especially with the novice hurdlers this year.
      -Pretty content, i don't go hell for leather antepost-i probably should've stuck to my guns earlier in the year and tried making books in certain races like Kev + Quevega sort of have. Lazy.
      - Probably strongest in Mares Novice at prices anyway. As i haven't backed lots of horses in the same races, the result of the race will tell me haha.
      - Champion Hurdle- Early anteposts on Klassical Dream haven't worked.
      - Not a lot different from normal, had intended to change slightly but haven't.
      - Mainly from the pubs. Possibly a day in work, we will see!

Comment

I just read C.O.D's post , feel a little bit the same .
        But Actually i feel like i'm in a fairly good position .
        I'd say strong in Ch hurdle , R.S.A and Gold cup.
        Weak in the Champion chase , Only had a couple of speculators till last week.
        More single's this year , Less Multi's - Still time though .
        Be there Tues , wednesday and fri maybe?.
        Last edited by BigChaang; 14 January 2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

How are you feeling about the festival?

I'm already not sleeping well and running races through in my mind at five in the morning, which means I'm a nutcase and should get a life.

pretty satisfied, as it's mainly the fun of the puzzle and manouvering positions that I do antepost for, and the bets will get bigger and hold more financial risk as NRNB and the day kicks in.

- Where are you strong?

The first day looks pretty good and with good luck and judgement and a bit of labour I've got in some good positions on most of the graded races on day one. Not sure how it's worked out this way. It may be that the arkle and NH chase lend themselves more to antepost betting and the tools available mean you can back every fancypants horse before debut for the supreme.

- Where are you weak?

Not sure weak is the best word as there is still plenty of time, and no matter how big a list of fancy prices you or I may have, it'll be wins and places that matter (unless you're laying and hedging etc, which I rarely bother with)

A lot more small bets (the liquidity don't allow much more) on the exchanges at wild prices this year, and although they might all fall by the wayside, a lot of them I could lay off now if I could be bothered. But I'll let them run and see how this pans out after the festival. But to be able to cover a horse at very small stakes for a decent return is helpful for sure. A fair bit of imagination is required and to get a run for your money, a bit of luck.

I'll be at Cheltenham for the Tuesday as usual, causing mischief on the balcony of the Istabraq Bar (above the main entrance). Anyone fancy a pint they're very welcome (even those I've sworn at).
          The rest of week at home (pub Friday after two days recovery)

Comment

- How are you feeling about the festival? -

It's been a busy period personally and feel I haven't kept on top and made too many novicey mistakes with regards to the festival, which has given me a somewhat underwhelming feeling, unlike previous years where I have felt more in control, for many different reasons I don't feel like that this year.

For the first time ever on the forum I feel like I've clouded my judgement too much than if I wasn't on here.

So-so. I feel in no mans land with plenty of races, and hoping the picture becomes clearer over the next month or so, but unlike previous years I don't have the funds to support a last hurrah even if I have got them wrong initially. This is something I will take from the festival this season. I won't be going in as early.

- Where are you strong?

NH Chase (although usually a bad betting race for me, so time will tell), RSA is looking good too, Mares Novice (based on the betting alone), Albert Bartlett (again, based on the current betting).

- Where are you weak?

Feels like every other race at the moment.

Went in a bit heavy too early in the 'any race' market for some, wish I waited. Also not using Bet365 (with the option of cash out), instead going for bigger prices with bookmakers without cash out (so amateur).

With mates on Day 1, depends how that day goes I guess with a view to the rest of the week. Won't be attending this year though.
            Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 14 January 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Buzzing. Trying to reserve my excitement for after the DRF, but failing spectacularly. Not far away now!

Couple of bad news days or a poor DRF and lots can change, but happy so far. Invested around 90pts. Saved 20-30% of my book through B365 cash out, which has been invaluable (although I doubt it will last long). Happy with the spread of my overall positions. I have 6 market leaders all at fairly big double figure prices, and a number of fairly big double figure prices in the any race market/handicap market that are now in that 8/1 - 14/1 level.

- Where are you strong?

Day 1. Even now I'd be a bit dissapointed if I didn't have a profitable Champion Day.

- Where are you weak?

Biggest weakness. I'd have to say eczema

The two races where I am noticeably weak is the Gold Cup & QMCC. I waited too long on the former and put all my eggs in one basket in another. Time to figure them out but their Championship races where I am weak for sure. Probably too heavily reliant on a small number of novices too.

Avoided doing lots of ante post doubles and trebles. Really ate into my profit last year and so far its gone well.
              Using B365 just for ante post and nothing else. Cash out works really well.

At Cheltenham! Do all 4 days every year and wouldn't miss it for the world, although the rest of my group all now miss Friday and I have to say I think I've come round to the idea of 3 days there and 1 day on the settee! Far too busy on the Friday. (If ever there was an argument for a 5 day meet that's it for me, push the 20,000 or so people that don't give a shit about the racing into the Saturday)

Comment

Already on a daily countdown.... absolutely love this time of the year. DRF approaching and it feels like we've just come round the final bend and starting the home straight towards the Festival, which is undoubtedly my highlight of every year.

Worryingly I feel very satisfied. Don't feel like I've missed many that I wished Id already backed... just need to keep everything crossed for no disastrous injuries now.

- Where are you strong?

Feel particularly happy in all three novice hurdles with all of the favs at decent prices and some nice cover bets. Going to be absolutely gutted if I haven't got the AB by the balls this year. Im hopeful that just because its been a bad race antepost in previous years, it does't follow it will be this year.

- Where are you weak?

Haven't played the handicaps too much yet as waiting until we have more NRNB prices. Tried to stick to this last year and it definitely helped.

Nothing at all so far as had my best Festival yet last year. Although I've done significantly less antepost multiples as my return has been piss poor on them the past few years. Will do more the week of the Festival when everything is clearer.

Will be there Monday - Saturday as I have been for the last 24 years! As much as Im already very excited, I've already got a slight fear for how I always feel when i wake up on Saturday morning after 5 days of debauchery!!

Comment

Can't wait now, 8 weeks today and the roar will have happened. Been quiet at work this week and can't seem to stop thinking about the festival.

Not fantastic, some good some bad.

- Where are you strong?

Good position on Abacadabras in the supreme, Envoi Allen a couple of good multiples that could pay good dividends.

- Where are you weak?

Haven't covered anywhere near as many races as I would like.

Haven't had much of a spare fund to bet with this year as I've brought my first home so that's eaten a lot of my money, therefore I haven't been able to back as many as I would have liked.

Never attended festival so this year will be my first. Gonna be there Tuesday and Wednesday, watch from home from Thursday and then a reunion with a couple of lads from uni on the Friday (same as last year). Happy hour drinks all afternoon and a 15ft screen - heaven.

Comment

So let's discuss:

This is the best question! Definitely driving mates abit mental, can’t concentrate at work been doing daily checks of here, markets and racing post. Already on the daily countdown excited as ever for it finally coming round.

Good current position, some decent early prices and hopefully make a decent profit. Feel touch wood a lot of my ante post bets have stood up so far... not speaking too soon obviously.

- Where are you strong?
                    Good position on the champion chase, supreme novices, mates hurdle, triumph and ballymore.

- Where are you weak?
                    Probably weakest on the gold cup as I haven’t got much of an interest at the moment.

Definitely a lot more selective ante post this year and trying not to get suckered in non runner no bet as slybet have killed the value.
                    Will be there all 4 days absolutely cannot wait! Travelling down Monday afternoon!

Comment

Good i think. I got into racing around the start of Faugheen/Vautor's origins and for years I felt it was easy - just stack the right Mullins hotpots early enough and off we go. 2017 therefore was a big wake up call to me to consider value, horses being overpriced and not just rigidly believing my own thoughts etc. So I always have a bit of trepidation but I do think I have a broader base to look at.

Race wise however it looks a lacklustre year. Lot of championship divisions look weak af

ok - i've tried to do fewer multiples this year which means my exposure is lower (last two years antepost multis have mostly maimed my bottom line ) but I don't have much of the woohoo of being sat on a life changer

- Where are you strong?

Like everyone here I've got the good prices on Envoi and Abra. Fond of my RSA bets. Have used the any race market well so far

- Where are you weak?

Novice hurdles but then it's a rough year so far for those and I'm mostly sticking to my guns and picking a wild one on the day for Potato race.

My arkle bets....yeesh...a real mess in there

Massively reduced my exposure on multis, and used free bets for these as much as possible. Currently means that any two horses I currently have back would leave my whole outlay in profit which is a nice feeling, though obvs not as exciting

Hoping to get taken day one on some hospitality which I've been putting the ground work in for for a while (I got taken to the Roux Restaurant last year, very agreeable). Friday I'm getting an early train to Paris for the rugby over the weekend. Hoping this is a positive as Friday is rarely my strongest day and hoping having to have money day night before will keep me disciplined - doubt my wife would care for us sitting in some fancy 11e natural wine bar while I watch on my phone!

Comment

Can’t wait 56 days to go. Week off work sorted as well.

Being my first proper antepost betting year (last few years mainly silly multiples or no antepost betting and next to no singles), I think I’m doing not too bad. Some have been my own judgement, some obvious targets to us all (mainly championship races) and also many discussions with people on here that I’ve followed in on.

- Where are you strong?

RSA
                        Ballymore
                        Mares Novice (mainly thanks to Scooby)

- Where are you weak?

Champion Chase (couple I liked and should have backed at decent prices but didn’t)

mainly betting singles with just some multis usually with free sky bets. Much better way to bet and enjoying the game of getting into good positions and even some bad positions as it’s all a learning curve for next year

On the tv first 2 days, heading down Thursday got tickets for gold cup day but hopefully with a good first 2 days might go the Thursday as well.

Comment

How are you feeling about the Festival;

- Like a kid waiting for Christmas, I love the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals.

How do you feel your current positions are stacking up;

- Like most, I have big prices on a number that are much shorter. The last few years have been kind, but it’s Cheltenham and I’d never be too confident.

It’s tough, but I put a few daft doubles on at nice prices. A few years ago I managed to get Mohaayed @ 33-1 (hence my Avatar thanks to Kevloaf) with Rathvinden @ 20-1. Fingers crossed for March.

Where are you strong;

- Probably the CH with fancy prices on Saldier and Sharjah. NH Chase also looking particularly good.

Where are you weak;

- Not invested much in the handicaps but that’s the fun to look forward to in coming few months.

Anything you’ve done differently and how’s it working?

- I’ve certainly backed more in the ‘any race’ market. It’s hard to know how it’ll pan out until targets are certain, but at the moment I’m looking a little top heavy in some races. I should keep an eye on the bigger picture.

How will you be watching;

- In the pub every day. For as long as I can remember, I’ve met with a gang of friends for Guinness, Placepots and Exactas aplenty.
                          Last edited by Eggs; 14 January 2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Can't wait (as always).
                            As soon as it ticks over to the New Year, I'm on Countdown

How do you feel your current positions are stacking up?
                            Mixed bag, but by utilising Free Bets throughout the year, I'm confident of a healthy profit - regardless of race outcomes

Where are you strong?
                            Judging by the markets, I have many of the main protagonists covered at good prices in: Champion Hurdle, National Hunt Chase, Ballymore, RSA, QMCC, Stayers and Gold Cup (there are obvious gaps - that can be covered on the day if necessary)

Where are you weak?
                            I've had a nightmare in the Arkle (bar Notebook), nothing covered in the Mares, never confident in the Bumper, Triumph, Foxhunter or Handicaps (despite having some nice prices)

Anything you've done differently? How's it working?
                            I've definitely made a conscious effort to do fewer multiples. It means that I won't have any/many "life-changers", but I'm more likely to come away with a decent profit.
                            I also promised myself that I wouldn't place any "cash" bets until 2020 (or NRNB)... I got as far as September!

How will you be watching?
                            Every year, I go on the Thursday and Friday - but I will also go on the Tuesday if Pentland Hills turns up in the Champion Hurdle.
                            Whilst his victory in the Triumph was over-shadowed by Sir Erec (RIP), it was a great feeling being a (tiny, tiny) owner of a Festival Winner.

Comment

@Eggs re: loving Aintree - I always really struggle with it. Tried everything from reducing stakes etc. Considering not betting on Aintree at all this year tbh

Comment

Working...
                              X