Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) robith's Avatar
    I forgot to mention one thing I've got in the discipline this year is doing more ew betting. I usually end up with a large number of places, but recently I'd tried to take my stake size up and going win only. Just hasn't worked for me. Feel much better doing 1pt each way for stuff over 16/1 as I feel while it might take the top off my winnings, I think overall yield will be better with my historic record

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) TheEagleHasLanded's Avatar
    How are you feeling about the festival?

From October, there isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t think about it… I just adore it, I almost love this stage of the year as much as the actual racing because of the research, the forums, preview nights, opinions etc in fact I get sadder the closer it gets because it means it’ll be over soon

How do you feel your current positions are stacking up?

Im going to echo what Kev said, im on a couple at nice prices considering what their price is now, but it means nothing until they’ve crossed the line (preferably 1st)

Where are you strong? Where are you weak?

Id like to think ive backed the winner of all the races tbh otherwise what’s the point ��

Anything you've done differently? How's it working?

Nope, im stupid as I love doing small ante post multiples (lucky 15’s etc) and I arrange them on a colour coded spreadsheet (will be printed & laminated to protect against spillage) so I know the bet type, which bookie, what race and the price. I say stupid because (for example) I’ll probably have backed 9 in the supreme (and no doubt only 8 will run lol) I know that’s not smart but im trigger happy and I get carried away.

I save an amount each month and I know that’s ‘dead money’ and so when October/November comes out ill back what I fancy.

How will you be watching?

Get to spend it with good friends (shout out DH and the Murphy Bros), we’ll have joint multis going and the pub Friday is always great.

Champion Fat Jockey (Moderator) Kevloaf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robith View Post
    I forgot to mention one thing I've got in the discipline this year is doing more ew betting. I usually end up with a large number of places, but recently I'd tried to take my stake size up and going win only. Just hasn't worked for me. Feel much better doing 1pt each way for stuff over 16/1 as I feel while it might take the top off my winnings, I think overall yield will be better with my historic record
    I'm still more of an e/w than a win only kind of punter.

Not getting paid out when you are 'good' enough to get one in the first 3 would get on my nerves.

IF you can find horses to hit the frame, you're more likely to find winners too surely... nobody wants a whole string of seconds and nothing to show for it.... and I don't believe it affects my bottom line.

I could probably work that out over the last 9 years actually. I'm not going too, but I could

Fat Jockey (ridden out claim) TigerRolllllll's Avatar
    - How are you feeling about the festival?

Most exciting sporting event of the year and walking in through turnstiles on day 1 still feels very special.....and i have been going for well over 20 years and am now a member who goes a fair bit......but The Festival is special....and day 1 is special!

Its also a big social thing as stay in a 5-bed house backing on to course (crazy lucky or what) with close friends. Even when i lived in the US, i still always came back for this.

- How do you feel your current positions are stacking up?

Last year was my first ante-post and was awesome, thanks to the contributions on here! Have usually done ok as i think over time you learn the festival form and types who win more at Festival.......but ante-post is much more exciting and a great way to get into the form all season

Overall, feel pretty confident will be up again......how much depends on how many of the bigger positions come off....but its about the sport to me that matters more.....sharing in the magic of days like Thurs last year and seeing my fav horse scoot away with most impressive win of the week

- Where are you strong?

Tues prob looks strongest book with most races well covered and including.... Abacadabras at avg 30s, Notebook at 50s, Epatante at 33s, Honetsuckle at 15-2 and good prices on 4-miler too

Albert Bartlett (believe it or not!)....my spuds book is awesome....Thyme Hills 25s, Latest Exhibition 66s, Fury Road 40s and others

I have plenty of doubles involving the Mighty One on Weds of course !!!

- Where are you weak?

The Marsh (or JLT)......the race seems all over the place, apart from Faugheen, which thankfully i have a decent price on. I have so many probably dead bets and this is a race that i will have to re-think next year maybe

The Bumper.....my nightmare.....last year was only my third ever winner.....and it is not for the want of trying....i usually back loads of horses trailing in nowhere

Gold Cup - don't have Kemboy or Clan Des Obeaux in book....apart from in long-priced doubles with others to try and get them cheaply....though am not convinced either are really festival horses i would normally back

Handicaps......prefer to start my book NRNB....a learning from last year and area did less well in

- Anything you've done differently? How's it working?

Trying lots more ante-post doubles.....lots are dead.....but i prefer the over bet approach anyway (more fun!)....but some good-looking ones left, so will be a lesson this year......one thing i have been learning from Kev and others is linking doubles through form

Also had bigger stakes on some of the long-priced ones this year and so a few of above could really make the week look nice

- How will you be watching?

Racing post and binocs in hand in same place stand most years.....then re-watching races that i enjoyed most repeatedly for months to come

And as well as my bets.....hope there are more amazing moments that make us feel so proud of our sport (every friend that ever joins us in the house, always comes back)

Things i would love to see this year for the sport.....
    - no fatal falls (Fri last year was my worst at festival ever i think...was low all day)
    - Rachel to be top jockey....or win one of big 4 races (quite likely and would make for amazing, positive headlines)
    - some of smaller trainers to win races (been to several yards over past few years and know it means so much to them)
    - The mighty one to scoot 20 lengths clear again and scare the life out of bookies for the National

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRolllllll View Post

Trying lots more ante-post doubles.....lots are dead.....but i prefer the over bet approach anyway (more fun!)....but some good-looking ones left, so will be a lesson this year......one thing i have been learning from Kev and others is linking doubles through form

l
    Was reading that whole post thinking, what a cracking set of bets and this guy seems like a top bloke and THEN you complimented me, so you're definitely on the list of people that deserve a profile picture.... I'm guessing Tiger Roll , any in particular that you want? If you could copy and paste a link to a google image that'd be great

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Was reading that whole post thinking, what a cracking set of bets and this guy seems like a top bloke and THEN you complimented me, so you're definitely on the list of people that deserve a profile picture.... I'm guessing Tiger Roll , any in particular that you want? If you could copy and paste a link to a google image that'd be great

Thanks so much....have learned amazing amount following this forum (nighttime read)......def Tiger please!

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRolllllll View Post
    Thanks so much....have learned amazing amount following this forum (nighttime read)......def Tiger please!
    The picture I've chosen is actually the background on my computer

One note by way.....not sure how many people have chance to go to stables

Stumbled across a fab club in Berkshire (called West Berks racing).......have been to several top stables (even got a selfie with Native River once a few days after Gold Cup (though sadly did not back him)... and some fab small ones too....Neil King was so friendly, he even set up special schooling for us with Bryony

Not much more than price of a pint per visit......Think several like this around country for those not aware and they are def worth joining.... and also raise lots money for injured jockeys

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    The picture I've chosen is actually the background on my computer
    Looks like last year Remember him checking himself at last giving us all heart failure

Apprentice Fat Jockey (7lb claim)
    - How are you feeling about the festival?

Long time viewer of this forum and just registered. I first attended in on the Tuesday of 2015 to see Faugheen win me three figures. For someone who doesn't bet to large stakes, I had been backing him each month from 7/1 downwards and this was something special. I went for all 4 days the following 3 years. It's the one week of the year I book off work and it's in the diary as soon as the annual leave allowances are made available. There's nothing quite like the event for the camaraderie, memory-making and stories of gambles landed and fortunes won. Unfortunately the crowds from the last year crowds put me off though I know as soon as I hear the roar on the TV, I will wish I was there.

- How do you feel your current positions are stacking up?
    I have a number bets which, following the suggestions on this forum and some analysis, have shortened significantly - Battleoverdoyen 20/1 (Any race), Epatante 17 (Exchange) and Delta Work 20 (Exchange). A lot are on the usual suspects - BDD, Chacun Pour Soi, Honeysuckle, Envoi Allen. I typically work on the Any Race markets until NRNB is announced. I always expect some wastage from the ante-post bets hence the smaller stakes and some are already down.

- Where are you strong?
    It depends on where the principals run. Betting in the 'any race' market has a tendency to mean I'm not sure until targets are confirmed and after being burned in previous years by last-minute race switches, I am loathed to over commit. I'm pleased to have found a few horses which have shortened significantly.

- Where are you weak?
    Handicaps - this is my weakest area of Festivals generally and I'll be taking a number against the field on a 'spray and oray' basis during the week.
    Champion Hurdle - a number of my guesses in this have already significantly drifted.

I've had a few multiple bets but the bulk of the wagers have been singles. I'll go for more multiples during the week in an effort to find a 'lifechanger' but otherwise I'll taker my usual approach of a few horses per race and have smaller interest bets on the handicaps.

- How will you be watching?
    This year I may be attending on the Tuesday depending on a friend arranging a corporate box, otherwise I will be in a pub/at home in East London.