Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Bumper 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by archie View Post
    That was a nice surprise. Willie said he would be happy with first four but there didn't seem to any excuses in a truly run race.

A small ray of light in difficult times.
    The winner one of yours archie ?
    If so well done, could be a decent horse.

What can you tell us about the pilot, I know nothing/little of her but it looked an assured ride to my eye....

Comment

• Yes, I bought him after Aintree last year and we've been waiting for him to tell Willie that he was ready to roll. He beat Frontal Assault by further than Ferny Hollow and a first time RPR of 127 is quite decent. He's a fine big horse that might be better suited to a galloping track so to do that at Clonmel was very encouraging.

After a little to-ing and fro-ing, I'm now down to just 4 in training:
      Kemboy
      Cadmium
      Robin De Carlow
      Captain Kangaroo

Jody is Paul's sister. Well worth her 7lb.

Comment

• Any further thoughts on the Bumper?

Only RPRs but the first 3 home had the following stats:
        RPR for first race/RPR for Cheltenham

128/141 Ferny Hollow
        129/138 Appreciate It
        123/127 Queens Brook

Last year, it was
        131/135 Envoi Allen
        126/126 Blue Sari
        111/132 Thyme Hill
        113/129 Abacadabras

Has the scale been warped or were the first two very good?

As already said, in probably the last bumper of the season, Captain Kangaroo was given 127 for his debut win.

Comment

Any further thoughts on the Bumper?

Only RPRs but the first 3 home had the following stats:
          RPR for first race/RPR for Cheltenham

128/141 Ferny Hollow
          129/138 Appreciate It
          123/127 Queens Brook

Last year, it was
          131/135 Envoi Allen
          126/126 Blue Sari
          111/132 Thyme Hill
          113/129 Abacadabras

Has the scale been warped or were the first two very good?

As already said, in probably the last bumper of the season, Captain Kangaroo was given 127 for his debut win.
          I would see it as slippage in RPR. They underestimated last year and over corrected this year. At least they have a basis for rating Captain Kangaroo, but how they arrived at a rating of 135 for Bob Olinger (who I like) based on 1 run against other ex PTP runners beggars belief

Comment

• That does seem odd archie.
            Had the bumper been a new race I could have understood an overreaction but they’ve had the best part of 30 years to assess performances in the race.
            Seems all the more staggering given Envoi Allen’s achievements this year...

Comment

Jody is Paul's sister. Well worth her 7lb.
              A little more about Jody in No 2.

The usual suspects prevailed as the Irish National Hunt season prematurely drew to a close, but Mark Boylan highlights ten alternative takeaways from... Read More

Comment

• Caveat before I start... I don't really value bumpers in general. I think it's great if a horse shows the ability to win them, and clearly they have talent... but in National Hunt racing it's about getting over obstacles so I always treat any bumper form with a pinch of salt. Some years 'the bumper' works out well, some years it doesn't. More often than not horses don't maintain their level with the odd exception (like Envoi Allen) who is an exception rather than the rule in my opinion.

Ferny Hollow pulled hard again, and still won. He won well. He wasn't last off the bridle my any means either. The speed he seems to come from the bend to the finish line seems vastly superior to everything else. He's clearly interesting next season. I'd like to see him settle much better over hurdles.

I think he's just a faster horse than Appreciate It. Without Ferny Hollow going past him, Appreciate It has put in a really impressive performance to my eye. He is defintiely not a quick horse though, looks to have a long galloping stride and I'll be interested in him next season for sure. I see he's 20/1 fav for the Albert Bartlett which does make sense. They're both shorter for the Supreme, which makes sense for Ferny Hollow. Perhaps I'm being a little dismissive of the speed that Appreciate It has, as it's only one horse who looked faster than him... Feasibly he could end up anywhere though so not a bet at this stage at all.

Ferny Hollow wouldn't be a bet for me either yet, but both clearly interesting.

Gordon had the 3th and 5th, with Willie having 1st and 2nd. Queens Brook and Eskylane will both be on my shortlists. Queens Brook in particular for the Mares Novice Hurdle, although already 12/1 so not missed at all in that market.

Third Time Lucki did well for Skelton, staying on well towards the finish. I reckon I'll end up backing Third Time Lucky for a festival handicap hurdle two years from now... he'll be beaten next year in one of the novice hurdles then come back and make it Third Time Lucki - County Hurdle 2022 winner. Boom.

Comment

• The thing I like about Ferny the most is that he won nicely, yet still didn't settle in his race.

He has a tonne of ability and if he can learn to race efficiently he'll be some racehorse.

Comment

• I mentioned a couple of times some reservations about Ferny’s jumping from his P2P. I’ve managed to find the link again:

Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

To be fair it’s not as bad as I recalled. Only shows him jumping 4 fences and I would say 2 of them were taken slowly. Couple of years with Willie should compensate

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      The thing I like about Ferny the most is that he won nicely, yet still didn't settle in his race.

He has a tonne of ability and if he can learn to race efficiently he'll be some racehorse.
                      Willie said recently he thinks hurdles will help Ferny settle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                        The thing I like about Ferny the most is that he won nicely, yet still didn't settle in his race.

Yeah, that's good up to a point until he doesn't learn

Originally posted by Priceiskey View Post
                        Willie said recently he thinks hurdles will help Ferny settle.
                        so lets hope that's true...

Comment

• I've got big doubts about this years Bumper being a breeding ground for 2021 Festival Hurdles winners, with the likes of Ballyadam, Uhtred, Bob Olinger, Flinter Sacre to name just a few, of many, that could make up into decent opposition next season.
                          Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 9 May 2020, 05:50 PM.
                          "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

• Originally posted by Saxon Warrior View Post
                            I've got big doubts about this years Bumper being a breeding ground for 2021 Festival Hurdles winners, with the likes of Ballyadam, Uhtred, Bob Olinger, Flinter Sacre to name just a few, of many, that could make up into decent opposition next season.
                            Yeah, I'd be inclined to lean that way myself.

I think because we didn't get to see some of the Spring bumpers after Cheltenham too, even more focus will be put on what we did see... and that'll lead to some over bet and over hyped horses.

Time will tell though, it's certainly not a negative to have performed well at Cheltenham.

Comment

• HdB has had only 7 Bumper winners from 134 runners in the last 5 Irish seasons, so Patrick Mullins win on Bob Olinger delivering a 135 RPR on debut is both interesting and impressive.

On ratings probably the best bumper debut of the season, and already on the tail of Appreciate It and Ferny Hollow's Festival Bumper performances.
                              "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Working...
                              X