Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Mares Hurdle 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mares Hurdle 2020

roksana, honeysuckle, stormy Ireland, laurina, benie des dieux, apples jade. Eglantine du Seuil. Could all arguably go here.

However, One I like, and think could improve for this season especially at the intermediate trip, is elfile. I though lt she ran a race full of promise at fairyhouse against honeysuckle and had been crying out for a step up beforehand. Honeysuckle came in to the race fresh and had the run of the race imo, where as Elfile on the back of a hard race at chelt had to come through the pack and finished her race very well. She won a nothing race at punchestown afterwards and was never stronger than at the line, 33s is very fair, however With mullins holding a huge hand at his disposal here, and elfile seemingly looking the 2nd string in her own colours, nevermind the yard. The bet right now wouldn't make sense, however she may be value in turning over one of her higher profile stablemates in a minor graded race on the way to chelt.

After race at*Punchestown Thu, 2nd May, 2019 (1st)**"she (Elfile) looks smart. I think she wants another half mile but she’s such a slick jumper that she’s able to counteract that. I think once she goes up in trip she’ll be better and Paul thought the ground was quick enough for her too. She wants a good dig in the ground. She’s one to look forward to next year and I’d say she will stay hurdling"
    **W P Mullins
    https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
    Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Can't see past Honeysuckle for this now that Broomhead had confirmed she will stay hurdling. Was the outstanding novice mare last season and looks absolutely made for this race. With doubts over Benies participation and Laurina potentially going over the bigger obstacles she is my biggest AP bet so far. Ton on at 7's with Paddy Power. That's me done!

Comment

I looked at Elfile a few weeks ago and ended up backing Eglantine as it was available with B365.
      Their form is very close together and I was unsure at the time what they'd do with Honeysuckle.
      I expect BDD to run here first time up.
      But one of Willie's novices from last year could easily improve a fair bit. And those two looked the most likely.
      Liked how Elfile was one of the best finishers in the mares novice that was near the pace.
      But also liked Eglantine's staying up the hill at the finish after being ridden like a horse not expected to win. It could have been the way the race shaped but she (Eglantine) looked like a Cheltenham lover.
      It could easily be a hot enough race though at this stage.
      Max bet when they go NRNB for Benie for me, hoping apples has had another outstanding autumn and winter and honeysuckle has picked up some grade ones too. Might get a price then.
      Last edited by Quevega; 10 October 2019, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobos View Post
        With doubts over Benies participation and Laurina potentially going over the bigger obstacles
        Laurina staying over hurdles this year was the latest from Sullivan - they confirmed a likely step up in trip over hurdles for the year. Think BDD will be back and take all the beating, the 7s on Honeysuckle though is a mighty price agreed.

Comment

Can't see past Honeysuckle for this now that Broomhead had confirmed she will stay hurdling. Was the outstanding novice mare last season and looks absolutely made for this race. With doubts over Benies participation and Laurina potentially going over the bigger obstacles she is my biggest AP bet so far. Ton on at 7's with Paddy Power. That's me done!
          Good luck, little doubt imo that BDD will go here. I wouldnt be wanting to take her on with a win only bet personally
          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
            Good luck, little doubt imo that BDD will go here. I wouldnt be wanting to take her on with a win only bet personally
            I have a nagging doubt re Benie turning up here. She's won it already and had a hard luck story last year. Think she will switch between hurdles and chases this season before ending up in the Stayers or even Ryanair. Mullins has at least 5 that can be very competitive in the Mares' without calling on her.

Comment

I have a nagging doubt re Benie turning up here. She's won it already and had a hard luck story last year. Think she will switch between hurdles and chases this season before ending up in the Stayers or even Ryanair. Mullins has at least 5 that can be very competitive in the Mares' without calling on her.
              Will be really surprised if BDD doesn’t come here but stranger things have happened
              ATM she is a 4 figure return ( second leg of first leg winners in doubles)
              Will follow you in on Honeysuckle as a saver

Comment

It won’t happen of course but if we got Honeysuckle v Laurina v BDD here it would look a better race than the Champion Hurdle

Comment

Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
                  It won’t happen of course but if we got Honeysuckle v Laurina v BDD here it would look a better race than the Champion Hurdle
                  Those three rated rated 157, 159, 150, would have to be a terrible Champion Hurdle to look worse than that.

Comment

Walsh says he personally thinks Benie will not go chasing this season and that she'll end up in the Mares. Ladbroke Trophy then Stayers it is then !! Lol !!

Comment

Ruby Walsh on the Facebook Q&A thing says Benie Des Dieux is Willie's most likely Cheltenham winner, and that "she'll take some stopping...in the Mares at Cheltenham"

She's going to go off Even or shorter int she (if she gets there)...

I'm trying to think of a creative way to justify the 5/2 being a good bet now

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Ruby Walsh on the Facebook Q&A thing says Benie Des Dieux is Willie's most likely Cheltenham winner, and that "she'll take some stopping...in the Mares at Cheltenham"

She's going to go off Even or shorter int she (if she gets there)...

I'm trying to think of a creative way to justify the 5/2 being a good bet now
                        Bear in mind the Any race price with Hills is the same 5/2 plus boost. I’m personally not quite ready for a top up just yet

Comment

I was all over Benie in this last year like a rash. This year I just have a hunch she will meet her match in Honeysuckle. She was mightily impressive in all her races last season and swept the Cheltenham novice Mares form to one side at Punchestown with any amount in hand.

Comment

How the hell did us so called punters let his Listen Dear win the valuable Mares race at at 14/1 at Limerick today ??? !!!! Upped to this distance for the first time, won in a canter. One that got away !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
                              Bear in mind the Any race price with Hills is the same 5/2 plus boost. I’m personally not quite ready for a top up just yet
                              Well if I was having a single that's what I'd do... but I'm just not that way inclined as a punter. I'd rather back evens on the day than 5/2 now.

I'm just toying with things like Paisley Park, Tiger Roll and Benie Des Dieux - ultimately I want them all onside but realistically, they're poor value now (or the right price) or whatever it is.

I think I just got over excited because we "know" the target...

Comment

Working...
                              X