Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ballymore Novice Hurdle 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballymore Novice Hurdle 2020

I had a few minutes spare, and noticed there was no Ballymore thread, so thought I'd start one up.

I do realise many won't touch the novice races so early on, but I'm usually a keen player, with either cash out as an option, or using free bets.

As per usual the head of the betting is made up of a bumper runner, and eventual winner from last season in Envoi Allen. He's not much of a price though, coming in at a high of 10/1 and a low of 8/1, is hardly something to get the juices flowing! His target is still up in the air also, and for all that Envoi Allen has done to date I feel the individual race price is a bit insulting, with the 'any race' price available at 7's with an additional boost also, something I prefer, and backed accordingly.

Dlauro, another potential Irish raider, seems well thought of at home, was impressive enough on rules debut, and another from the PTP sphere. One race doesn't give much to go on, and he is only 25/1 and much shorter elsewhere (somehow), the shorter prices are just embarrassing for the bookmakers, at this stage, on what has been seen! I took some of the 25/1, but missed out the 33's that were available, I think they will make into a fair price, if he stays fit and well. My issue, and the reason I didn't back Champ last season, is that Dlauro will be 7 come the festival, but having watched the Ballymore last season, and Champs solid run, I have ditched that stat for this horse!

McFabulous is next in the betting, along with a host of others around the 20-25/1 mark, he didn't do an awful lot wrong in his bumper starts, and although he'll likely make into a nice novice hurdler, and pick up prize money on the way, I do think he'll mostly be seen to best effect over fences. Questioning whether he will be a good enough novice hurdler at this current moment in time, and one I'd like to see before parting with my money.

A handful including Malone Road, Blue Sari and Get In The Queue who I think will likely be Supreme bound make up the next batch of runners, but obviously if you feel different please do comment and let me know!

Andy Dufresne could be an interesting runner, and like Envoi Allen hails from the Gordon Elliott yard also. Another one with a PTP background, fairly big reputation and with only one rules start, which could make you question the price, though I somehow found myself drawn in anyway. Gordon has a fair job splitting his best novices up, though under different ownership we could well see them taking each other on.

Longhouse Poet, for winning connections of this years winner, City Island, is another I was keen to get onside. Trainers and owners alike, tend to target races they've had success in previously, and I think no different of Longhouse Poet. At 33/1 he was at a price I found fair to find out, though I only used free bets on this one. PTP winner, and winner of a bumper on rules debut, beating a fairly highly thought of Mullins/Ricci inmate in Monkfish(also in the Ballymore betting), it could be the start of a long and successful season for Longhouse Poet.

A few others of interest for myself as the season gets under way include Energumene (does he exist? ), Chantry House, Thyme Hill and Interconnected.

One other I'd like to note, and on the verge of backing, is King Roland, currently available in a couple of places at 33/1. King Roland would represent the same connections as the ill-fated Neon Wolf, who went down by just a head to Willoughby Court (RIP also) in the 2017 running of the Ballymore (Neptune at the time). The son of Stowaway, sire of the likes of Hidden Cyclone, Outlander and Champagne Classic, King Roland made a fairly emphatic start to life under rules, winning his debut bumper by some 22 lengths at Uttoxeter, the same place Neon Wolf started his rules career. He then went on under a penalty to beat a big field at Ffos Las, when held right up at the rear, in what looked a fairly educational ride.

My bets so far in the race are currently Dlauro and Andy Dufresne, backed with cash but potential cash out, and Interconnected and Longhouse Poet using free bets on offer.

I have backed Nicky Henderson’s SHISHKIN at 25/1 Any Festival Race. He is 33/1 for the Ballymore and for the Supreme, and I would have him on my shortlist for this race.
    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Good shout and one I forgot about, somehow, as I had backed him for the Supreme, until I delved into his background.

I have him 'any race' too.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
        I’ve managed to find some time to start compiling my 2019/2020 shortlist and decided to start with my less obvious candidates. Below are six from left field:

King Roland - Harry Fry - Albert Bartlett - 33/1

Arrived with Harry Fry after winning an English PTP for the Lacey’s. Won on Bumper debut in a performance that screamed ‘notebook’ despite an average field. Went on to win again in more workmanlike fashion and avoided the major spring festivals. Based on his two performances he seems like a relentless galloper and given his size and background, I can see him ending up over staying trips this season. The Albert Bartlett is always a tricky race to predict before the season starts but I’d want him onside before he makes his hurdles debut. The 33/1 with 365 is good enough for me.

Longhouse Poet - Martin Brassil - Ballymore - 33/1

Whilst I don’t blindly follow the same connections to repeat festival successes, I think Martin Brassil could have a chance to do so in the Ballymore. Longhouse Poet won a Punchestown festival Bumper over 2m 2f beating an expensive Mullins/Ricci hot pot in the process. He looks to have the right blend of speed and stamina and I’m a big fan of his sire, Yeats. He won his PTP comfortably at odds on and although the form has not been tested much, the third has come out and won a PTP since.

Master Debonair - Colin Tizzard - Supreme or Ballymore - 50/1 for both

After running well in two early season Cheltenham Bumpers in quick times, I championed his cause for Festival success. He was disappointing on the day and didn’t show his true running as he was far too keen throughout. He went to Aintree and ran fifth in their Bumper but was not really involved in the finish. I’m going to stand by his early season form and also throw in that he was schooled over hurdles last year as it was being considered then. He’s wonderfully bred and, ignoring the festival run, relished the Cheltenham hill in his previous visits. He beat the Cheltenham Champion Bumper third (Thyme Hill) when winning his listed Bumper so the form from earlier in the season stacks up. Based on breeding I’m unsure of his trip as my instincts say Ballymore but Tizzard mentioned the Supreme in an interview. His price of 50/1 reflects his end of season form so I’m happy with the added value.

All prices with Bet365 for cash out purposes.
        Saves me retyping my post from August.
        In terms of actual bets placed per my ante post diary, I've only covered Chantry House, Longhouse Poet and Shishkin with cash.

Comment

Knew someone had mentioned Longhouse Poet somewhere, must have been you JM.

Hoping King Roland goes Ballymore myself. I think he looks rather useful. I see you have him for the AB.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
            Knew someone had mentioned Longhouse Poet somewhere, must have been you JM.

Hoping King Roland goes Ballymore myself. I think he looks rather useful. I see you have him for the AB.
            King Roland seems a real galloper to me and I’m not sure he’d have the turn of pace for the Ballymore. As with most of my ramblings, I’m wrong more than I’m right!

Comment

Lacey stated on his website the following day “King Roland’s performance was as good as I have seen in 10 years of having pointers. He looks exceptional! He is a big horse and hasn’t even got near to leveling off, he still has a huge amount of furnishing up to do. He looks every bit a star in the making. A few of our horses have taken some pulling up this season but I haven’t seen one still running away behind the bushes at Larkhill, some 3 furlongs beyond the finishing post”.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                Lacey stated on his website the following day “King Roland’s performance was as good as I have seen in 10 years of having pointers. He looks exceptional! He is a big horse and hasn’t even got near to leveling off, he still has a huge amount of furnishing up to do. He looks every bit a star in the making. A few of our horses have taken some pulling up this season but I haven’t seen one still running away behind the bushes at Larkhill, some 3 furlongs beyond the finishing post”.
                ...27-1 any race (price boost with Hills) could be the way to go with King Roland given the debate over its target.

Comment

Agreed on above will Hills price boost.

'While he may start off over two miles , he will be suited by two and a half miles on slow ground' was the quote from Fry re King Roland

Comment

Keith Donoghue

I don't say this lightly, but Envoi Allen is a very, very special horse.

I didn't get to ride him last year, but I have this year and I've fallen in love with him. He's schooling very well, and whatever he does over hurdles will only be a bonus. The sky is the limit for him.

Gordon is very strong with 2 mile novice hurdlers, so this lad might end up going up to 2 miles and 4 furlongs this season, but he's more than quick enough for 2 miles as well if needs be. He has that much class he could run over any trip.

In his bumpers last year people kept saying he was a slow horse, but I'm riding him this year and I can tell you he's not at all slow!

If I had the choice of the novice hurdlers in the yard at the moment, I'd take him as I love him, but really I'd be delighted if I got to ride any of them at the track! He will probably make his reappearance sometime in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty973 View Post
                      Keith Donoghue

I don't say this lightly, but Envoi Allen is a very, very special horse.

I didn't get to ride him last year, but I have this year and I've fallen in love with him. He's schooling very well, and whatever he does over hurdles will only be a bonus. The sky is the limit for him.

Gordon is very strong with 2 mile novice hurdlers, so this lad might end up going up to 2 miles and 4 furlongs this season, but he's more than quick enough for 2 miles as well if needs be. He has that much class he could run over any trip.

In his bumpers last year people kept saying he was a slow horse, but I'm riding him this year and I can tell you he's not at all slow!

If I had the choice of the novice hurdlers in the yard at the moment, I'd take him as I love him, but really I'd be delighted if I got to ride any of them at the track! He will probably make his reappearance sometime in November.
                      Great to hear Marty, thanks for posting. The way that everyone connected to this beast speaks of him, makes you think he is going to be special. This together with him unbeaten aura means he’ll shorten up considerably for this once he shows it on the track.

Comment

Probably guilty of stating the bleedin obvious here but when Cheveley Park made the decision to invest in NH racing they were always going to be buying big and looking for near immediate success, they're not in the business for mediocrity and the £400K they laid out for Envoi Allen was a statement of intent.
                        I don't know the breeding operation but it would make sense for them to breed from their staying stallions, Ulysses is out of Gallileo so stamina a plenty in that line and if they are in this for the long haul they surely have to be breeding their own NH horses.

With Giggs winding down I wouldn't be at all shocked if Cheveley Park became the leading owners at the festival within the next 2/3 years....

Comment

Phillip Hobb's Thyme hill has 4 possible entries for thurs 10th and fri 11th oct.
                          Possibly running in the Persian war novice hurdle at chepstow.

Comment

And Paul nicholls Trevelyn's corn has an entry for the Persian war at chepstow on friday too.

Comment

Sorry to sound like a broken record but surely Trevelyns Corn cost connections £400,000 and hasn’t achieved much yet at the age of 6. This must be a make or break year for him and giving Nichols trainer achievements and reputation then at 33/1 for any race I think I’m going to have a point on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X