Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

National Hunt Challenge Cup Amateur Riders' Novices' Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie View Post
    May have been an over reaction but I cashed out straight afterwards
    Yeah don't blame you, I'd have done the same. Every chance he could improve next time but not one I'd want onside given his debut.

I still think Champagne Classic would have won, but I'd have preferred Davy and Flawless Escape to finish on merit to use as a formline later on in the season. CC won't be the only Novice Chaser to beat Flawless Escape but FE might get a few scalps if plotted right.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
      May have been an over reaction but I cashed out straight afterwards
      I'd say over reaction charlie.
      Long way to go.
      I wouldn't expect any National types to be that quick over fences and but for a mistake would have won, and they went steady enough as well so not sure that a sprint finish would have suited.
      Having said that, he could turn out to be average, and a handicapper.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
        Long way to go.
        I wouldn't expect any National types to be that quick over fences and but for a mistake would have won, and they went steady enough as well so not sure that a sprint finish would have suited.
        Doesn't matter what the distance is, the better horses get from A to B quickly.

He was slow into loads of them... won't be winning average handicaps doing that either

First day at school though so no conclusions.... I'd definitely have cashed out though if I'd backed him... he won't be shorter if he changes his mind and goes in again?

Comment

Yep - cashing out does no harm really.
          Didn't see the slow jump issue myself.
          Apart from last fence, he appeared to jump adequately most of the time.
          I'll watch it all again though, only rewatched last five fences so far.

Comment

It’s early days, they all need to give themselves time to build up their stamina and jumping ability. I still fancy Lisnagar Oscar for this. He never won yesterday but jumped well in general in heavy ground and saw out the race even if he struggled in the last furlong but many positives

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
              Long way to go.
              I cashed out because of his technique over fences, as opposed to the bare result

Comment

Match betting at this stage of season Oscar v CC.

I would bet CC simply because he jumped better , but thats not to say comes March that Oscars deliberate jumping would have improved dramatically.
                Fascinating to see progression into second starts for both , intriguing.

Comment

Had a bit of a study of this field last night and going to have my first bet on Dickie Diver at 25/1 with bet365.

JP and NJH have an embarrassment of riches with staying Novice Chasers this year so you'd think they would try and split them up between the main races where they can. This fella looks to be the one who is crying out for a trip the most. Was never really in a position to challenge in the AB last year but stayed on steadily all the way to the line. Loads of stamina in his breeding and we know JP likes to target the race.

Also Champagne Classic does seem a no brainer at 16/1 with the cashout option, especially when GE has mentioned the race as the plan already. He could easily go off as short priced fav.
                  Last edited by Can't Catch Me; 17 October 2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Minella Warrior caught my eye for this today finished third but was possibly the first off the bridle and stayed on well. Not priced up yet and could easily go handicapping but one I'll be keeping an eye on.

Comment

After watching Mulcahys Hill edge out Wholestone today I think this race is perfect for the horse.
                      I’m sure I’m not alone in doubting Greatrex’s ability to train another festival winner but if he can secure a decent pilot MH could go very close.
                      A dour stayers who went very close in a Challow hurdle a couple of years ago he jumped like a pro today, only 3 have him priced up but if/when others follow I’ll be keen to get him onside...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                        After watching Mulcahys Hill edge out Wholestone today I think this race is perfect for the horse.
                        I’m sure I’m not alone in doubting Greatrex’s ability to train another festival winner but if he can secure a decent pilot MH could go very close.
                        A dour stayers who went very close in a Challow hurdle a couple of years ago he jumped like a pro today, only 3 have him priced up but if/when others follow I’ll be keen to get him onside...
                        He was well beaten when falling last year from my memory Ista!

Comment

Was thinking tonight but faugheen having won over 3 miles over hurdles and with his point to point at the start of his career being over 3 miles would the most likely race for him to win at this stage of his career at chelt be the national hunt chase with patrick on board they might see it as a way of winning 3 times at the chelt festival matching what they did with vautour and almost a last send off?

This was meant for the NHC post apologies
                          Last edited by Thistlecrack; 25 October 2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Makes some sense.

The fact it's 4 miles and a bit of a "grueller" would be in the back of my mind.... however the Patrick angle is interesting.

I actually like the idea, although without looking there is no way you'd get him priced at anything higher than 25/1 and that just wouldn't interest me.

To be honest, until I see him line up and take off at a fence, I'm not sure I'd believe he's actually going chasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                              Makes some sense.

The fact it's 4 miles and a bit of a "grueller" would be in the back of my mind.... however the Patrick angle is interesting.

I actually like the idea, although without looking there is no way you'd get him priced at anything higher than 25/1 and that just wouldn't interest me.

To be honest, until I see him line up and take off at a fence, I'm not sure I'd believe he's actually going chasing.
                              Yeah I get that see hes priced up at 33s with willhill, I was wouldnt be backing until I seen him entered for chases either but just with the word being he will I was trying to think why and I thought this may have been an angle also not that its a massive reduction but 3 mile 6 furlong now frm the previous 4 mile.

Comment

Personally at this stage I dont seem him winning any of the other novices chases and I dont think theyd send him novice chasing unless they had something in mind

Comment

Working...
                                X