Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ryanair 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archie View Post
    Jacob played down G1 chances just now but a nice prospect.

I'd always be cautious about first runs of the season against a field in much the same boat and I think that the handicapper will probably take the same view. RTV were talking high 160s but I'd stick at 165 for now.

What kind of tool does that make Cadmium?
    I'd say at the minute.
    The type of tool a lot of women keep in a locked cupboard

Comment

I'd agree with mid 160's archie, but that already puts him bang there for the Ryanair. He's run over a trip short of his best today and presumably has plenty of improvement to come.

Nice form boost for your fella, as you say, but I did feel at the time that the race came a bit quickly for Janika after a hard race at the Festival.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
        I'd agree with mid 160's archie, but that already puts him bang there for the Ryanair. He's run over a trip short of his best today and presumably has plenty of improvement to come.

Nice form boost for your fella, as you say, but I did feel at the time that the race came a bit quickly for Janika after a hard race at the Festival.
        Ah, but it was Cadmium's tenth run of the season and he'd run in a G2 after Cheltenham.

I don't know if you saw the Jacob interview but he was implying that today's trip on a stiff track or 2m4f on a flat track would be the ideal for Janika so the Ryanair might be a stretch for him.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
          Ah, but it was Cadmium's tenth run of the season and he'd run in a G2 after Cheltenham.

I don't know if you saw the Jacob interview but he was implying that today's trip on a stiff track or 2m4f on a flat track would be the ideal for Janika so the Ryanair might be a stretch for him.
          I had a feeling you might say that!! Im not taking anything away from Cadmium at all. Just in the context of backing Janika.

I did indeed thanks... and I actually thought today's trip suited him well as he travels so well in his races. But the joy of cash out means I can watch and wait

Comment

Janika surprised me today with pace over the shorter trip , definately improved .

in a open year when Altior might be going elsewhere think Nicky might be tempted and try and make a QM horse out of him.

Nice performance from Janika and Destier wold be another who would improve for jumping opposite way round so bodes well for Cheltenham handicaps.

Comment

May be a touch of M & S bingo with Janika and Footpad.

It's interesting when you look back through the form in that Darasso beat him a couple of times in 4yo hurdles when they were both in the same ownership yet Darasso was the one who was sold.

Comment

Think Daryl's warbling a bit really.
                Talk about being precise about the ideal trip.
                Ask Willie and he'll tell you that whilst their are optimum conditions, there ain't much difference running an extra furlong or four either way. It's more about economic running and race pace and obvious stuff like fitness and ability.

And breeding/genetics.
                Janika looks bred to stay, and I'm sure they mentioned nationals at some point last season.
                Although the 2 mile division in england looks open for taking some prize money (Like hobbs appears to be doing with DDS). I think 2 miles for this horse would be a mistake.

I like this horse though as he's tough and will battle and try his best, and being mid 160's has the talent and age on his side to improve further.

Comment

Don't forget that Janika is a third season chaser and it was his ninth chase.

Darasso is also technically a third season chaser but has only had three (unbeaten) chase runs.

Comment

Janika fits this race, for me, he went well at Cheltenham twice just beaten by Siruh Du Lac, giving him lumps of weight. SDL could well win the Bet Victor off 150 next week an Frank the Janika form.

I see him as the same age as Frodon was last year, lots less miles on the clock, and already set to be rated 165 at least.

This years Ryanair first five were rated going into the Festival at 169-162-169-163-168. Janika is already rated good enough to be involved in the Ryanair finish, and likes the track, it depends if the opposition is better next March.

I’ve backed him again for the Ryanair at 25/1 post race, to add to the 40’s I had a month ago.

I’ve got Defi Du Seuil and A Plus Tard too, and I hope that by next March that those three could produce better ratings than last years race
                    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

See Darasso being mentioned a few times, like him a lot, can't wait to see him back out this year. Does have to overcome the fact he was placed quite well last year. Level weights with Forge Meadow and getting 5 off cadmium. The way he won them though i don't think it mattered (obvious for the victory over Forge Meadow lol).

Comment

I personally though that was an excellent run by Janika over a shorter than optimal trip. Most of his career has been at 2m4f or 2m5f, and I can’t see the logic in stepping him back in trip permanently.

What he should today was he does have pace. 17 seconds off standard in soft carrying 11st 10lbs is not bad going, especially for a first run back. What stood out was his jumping. It was lovely.

I think you can dismiss his Aintree run; it followed two battles up the Cheltenham hill in handicaps where he was top weight.

What he did show was he clearly likes Cheltenham.

He’s only 6, now rated 165ish, with form at the festival (albeit he clearly wants it on the softer side). I can’t see him going in the Champion Chase unless it was a bog and he wins at 2m before then too. All that means he has to be right there for the Ryanair.
                        Last edited by TCH29; 6 November 2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I feel a bit sick at the love for Janicka.

Not winning handicaps last year, despite giving away weight, doesn't strike me as the right profile for winning any "Championship" festival race.

I definitely need to go back and have a look, as the Frodon comparision probably debunks my thought there.

...and at this stage it is just a thought, my instinct tells me Janicka isn't good enough to be a player in this race.

I need to look into why

Comment

You are allowed to be wrong now and again, Kev, and change your mind!

I won’t hold the handicap races lost to SdL. That was giving away a truck load of weight against a progressive animal...and you could argue poor race placement that no other trainer apart from Hendo would have ever entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                              I feel a bit sick at the love for Janicka.

Not winning handicaps last year, despite giving away weight, doesn't strike me as the right profile for winning any "Championship" festival race.

I definitely need to go back and have a look, as the Frodon comparision probably debunks my thought there.

...and at this stage it is just a thought, my instinct tells me Janicka isn't good enough to be a player in this race.

I need to look into why
                              One of most impressive champion hurdle winners had a full season (make that 2) and a half handicapping before winning on the bridle.

R Booster
                              Last edited by Quevega; 6 November 2019, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Little before my time was old rooster booster. Bit of a lost path now?

Probably why I'll end up against A Plus Tard despite liking him

Comment

Working...
                                X