Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ryanair 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryanair 2020

Been down the list on oddschecker (probably plenty not listed)

Of the genuine likely runners. best current prices.

Defi du seuil 8-1 - Solid favourite and price about right, but IMO could easily run in either of the other 2 big chases, depending on the competition and how his season pans out.

Min 12-1 - Festival regular but hasn't won one yet, but this price looks decent, just wonder if they'll target this race and not go 2 miles again (you'd think not)

Frodon 14-1 - Even as a reigning champion this doesn't look that good a price for some reason. Will only be 8 though and was transformed last season after the Wind Op. (worth noting early season form for nichols horses who've had out of season wind op's, I know magic saint has)

Duc des geneivres 14-1 - surely a poor arkle winner, but the trainer can keep improving these types so you never know, but the price looks bad to my eye.

A Plus Tard 20-1 - One race wonder ??, very hard to weigh up, 20-1 is about right.

Footpad 20-1 - Could just be another fading star so this price is not attractive just yet, surely most will want to see improved performances this year.

Road to respect 20-1 - similar to Footpad really.

Kalashnikov 20-1 - In and Out last year, but ended season with a nice win and now rated 155, 20-1 don't look attractive to me.

Janika 25-1 - Was one I was interested in for sure and has a great course record and toughs it out, but 25-1 don't quite tempt me.

Monalee 25-1 - Probably not a bad price considering this is likely destination and given everything dropping right could easily run well, but will be 9 and looks exposed enough now.

Aso 33-1 - will be 10 yrs old and surely this price will be available on the day.

Mengli Khan 33-1 - Not a good price and will most likely be campaigned for a handicap IMO. Already ran twice in the Summer with his trunks and sunglasses on.

Douvan 33-1 - If he comes back and runs anything like his best then this price will look ok. He will be 10 by then though and backing now is massive risk as he's less than those odds to retire I reckon. Would piss off Min fans if he does turn up though.

Siruh du Lac 40-1 - was getting more than a stone off Janika in brown advisory so needs to improve a fair bit

Glen Forsa 40-1 - Could improve further this year and looks likely to be in the early season 2m 5f cheltenham handicaps at the october and november meetings, off 150 will be interesting.

Might Bite 50-1 - This price was the most eyecatching to me as he may come back this season a better one than last, although he's 11 in March and this puts me off big time. Could easily be tried at this trip though this year, with front running tactics re-introduced.

My initial though was to back Might Bite at 50's until I realised he was 11. In fact I started this post with that intention, but he's 11.

Can't bring myself to back Min, but 12-1 looks decent as he may well be close to favourite come the day, if Mullins places him carefully aiming at this race.

Janika is the one I'm close to backing and if B365 were 25-1 I probably would, but I'm going to hang fire for now.

If there's already a ryanair 2020 thread, apologies, as never checked.

I have Frodon 16/1 and think there’s decent value about the reigning ‘champ’, I’m convinced he’ll be heading back for this.

Monalee had everything in his favour last year and was tanking down the hill until found little, no reason why he should improve the 8-10lb he’d need to to win this.

A Plus Tard is an interesting one, could well be a one race wonder but limit of his ability is unknown so could well turn out to be a live contender here.

Defi a worthy fav but I’m happy staying faithful to Frodon at double the price...

Comment

Yep, It might be just his style of victories that leaves him a bit underestimated, and 14-1 is probably fair on reflection.
      And I backed him at 20-1 to win this last year when they were considering the Gold cup instead.
      So I ought to like him a bit more but I don't !

Obviously I left out CPS and Cyrname out, and one or two others (cadmium) as they look unlikely at this stage, but if they did rack up here they'd be serious contenders.

Comment

With CPS and probably Altior in the CC, I’d be campaigning Defi at this if I were Hobbs.

Worthy favourite.

Comment

Frodon probably is a fair price there isn't he.

Target certain? I'd assume so but then again at 8, nothing to lose in the big one?

Comment

They have Top of the Game and Clan des Obeaux for the Gold Cup so I wouldn’t expect them to be earmarking that race for Frodon, though an injury or two might change that.
            Cyrname is the curve ball....

Comment

Did Clan Des Obeaux stay?

He could end up here. I'd probably really fancy him if he did.

The other Nicholls horses probably won't affect him, he's got a retained jockey after all.

I think he'll try and defend his crown, its just a niggle that would stop me backing him at the current price but I may sway. I do think it's borderline between a good bet and the right price.

Backing previous winners as a blind rule does pay

Comment

I prefer Min @ 12/1 than Defi Du Seuil @ 8/1. I think Min has been waiting for this step up in trip (at the festival) for some time now.

Will wait for more bookmakers to price up Voix Du Reve for the race too, as this is his trip. He didn't get the chance to prove it fully at the festival last season as he unseated Ruby (after making a bit of headway), but he sure as hell made up for it at Fairyhouse when hammering Real Steel (who he likely would have finished ahead of in the JLT anyway), Winter Escape (who many fancied on here for the JLT), and Mengli Khan (who only finished 9 1/4 lengths behind Defi @ Cheltenham).

I'm not sure why he was mostly campaigned at 2m last season (I did make this point last season), and although managing to win a Grade 2 it was never going to be ideal for him in the long term.

Of the others I agree with a couple of you, who have already stated Janika. Looks a fair bet that one.
                Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 12 September 2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Certainly agree with Janika, he hasn't got too much to find in terms of ratings to be up there, and with him only being 6YO there is some scope for that improvement, and you would imagine this will be his target with him now being 162, one I'll be keeping a close eye on for sure!

Comment

Interesting to look at the official ratings:

162 Defi Du Seuil
                    171 Min
                    169 Frodon
                    162 Duc Des Genievres
                    160 A Plus Tard
                    165 Footpad
                    166 Road To Respect
                    155 Kalashnikov
                    162 Janika
                    164 Monalee
                    168 Aso
                    154 Mengli Khan
                    167? Douvan
                    150 Siruh Du Lac
                    150 Glen Forsa
                    167 Might Bite

Everyone will have their own opinion on what progression/regression any individual horse might show. Others that you might consider are:
                    168 Ballyoisin
                    165 Balko Des Flos
                    160 Le Richebourg
                    158 Voix Du Reve
                    155 Darasso
                    and, of course,
                    162 Cadmium

Tinkering with Cadmium's diet and exercise regime seemed to bring about improvement at Aintree so he too doesn't have to find much to be a contender. I'd certainly be hopeful that he could again take care of Janika and his form in the Drinmore has worked out nicely. He'll be tried on the graded route and I've already mentioned to those in charge that he and Kemboy have raced at the same meeting 3 times with a 100% win record in the 6 races. 25/1 any race looks fair.

Comment

Tinkering with his diet sounds fishy to me
                      But on a serious note
                      I’m sure you’ve answered this previously but remind me why cadmium hasn’t been to Cheltenham before

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                        I prefer Min @ 12/1 than Defi Du Seuil @ 8/1. I think Min has been waiting for this step up in trip (at the festival) for some time now.

Will wait for more bookmakers to price up Voix Du Reve for the race too, as this is his trip. He didn't get the chance to prove it fully at the festival last season as he unseated Ruby (after making a bit of headway), but he sure as hell made up for it at Fairyhouse when hammering Real Steel (who he likely would have finished ahead of in the JLT anyway), Winter Escape (who many fancied on here for the JLT), and Mengli Khan (who only finished 9 1/4 lengths behind Defi @ Cheltenham).

I'm not sure why he was mostly campaigned at 2m last season (I did make this point last season), and although managing to win a Grade 2 it was never going to be ideal for him in the long term.

Of the others
                        Still in the voix du reve fanclub I see cod
                        Was about to come back with a clever reply then checked his age and he’s only 7 ??
                        Surely this must be checked
                        He seems to have been around for ages.
                        Good on his day though int he ?

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          Tinkering with his diet sounds fishy to me
                          But on a serious note
                          I’m sure you’ve answered this previously but remind me why cadmium hasn’t been to Cheltenham before
                          His novice season started late (which is why he was eligible for the Drinmore last season) and he just wasn't ready in March. Last season he was set for the Grand Annual but they felt that he had too much weight in the softening ground.

Comment

Thanks archie.

Eight of those in that list will be second season chasers, so would assume they are most likely to improve more than the more experienced horses, some of whom may have already peaked and had their day!

Interesting that DDS & DDG are rated the same, yet there was some 16 lengths between them at Punchestown, and many alluded to the fact that the Arkle wasn't exactly a spectacle in terms of competition.

Tough race at the moment, I'm sure one or two of the second season horses will improve a fair bit, and then to weigh up against the best of the current crop, in this case Min.
                            Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 12 September 2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                              Still in the voix du reve fanclub I see cod
                              Was about to come back with a clever reply then checked his age and he’s only 7 ??
                              Surely this must be checked
                              He seems to have been around for ages.
                              Good on his day though int he ?
                              I was massively gutted when he unseated at the festival, genuinely believe he would have got competitive. He proved his well being by beating the field at Fairyhouse next time out, and so he should have if I believed he was going to be there or thereabouts at Cheltenham the race before.

As I said before, I'm not sure what the 2m races were about in his campaign last season, though I'm not sure on the number of races around the 2m 4f mark that he could have contested in Ireland, so maybe this is the reason why.

I don't think he's a superstar, but I think he can be a player, more so last season when he was a novice, just got to wait and see if he can improve enough for his second season as a chaser now, a bit like with them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X