Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queen Mother Champion Chase 2020

With the decision re Altior going up in trip not too far away, I thought it was worth starting the QMCC thread now as I am keen to take a position before the news breaks on what the plan is.

Yesterdays interview with Nicky - https://www.racingtv.com/news/nichol...sh-for-cyrname

He said "We all know how good Altior is at two miles and I suppose you could say if we are the best at one thing, why change it? But I personally think he’s looking for another half a mile in which case we have to start thinking about is the King George where we want to go?"

I am interpreting his language and overall ‘have a go attitude’ as they will aim to step up in trip and see how things go. Once that news is announced the complexion of the CC market will move, perhaps considerably. I expect Altior will be pushed out in price from 4/1, whilst others will shorten. Time will tell what price the bookies push Altior out to if I am right. I don’t expect anything too daft but he’s 4/1 now and with news he goes up in trip, 6/1 or even 8/1 would definitely have me parting with cash. Chacun Pour Soi has already shortened this week and I would expect that to continue if Altior goes up in trip.

My first move, assuming I am right re the King George route, will be taking the larger price on Altior because as much as he may look like he wants 2m5f, 3m might stretch him. We can’t say for sure because he hasn’t tried it yet but what we can say with a relative amount of certainty is he will tread a far more competitive path to Cheltenham over 2m5f/3m than he would do schooling round at 1/8 in the Clarence House mopping up easy grade 1 money. Ultimately, I don’t think it will quite work out for him and Nicky and PP will go back to thinking that if they can win the Champion Chase then that’s the race they should go for. If I can get Altior in singles, and then doubles and trebles with Tiger Roll and Paisley Park at 6 or 8/1 then I will be more than happy with that!

The second move is getting a few onside at decent EW prices that you would expect to shorten. The two I have come down on are both 20/1 - Le Richebourg & Cilaos Emery. I was gutted Cilaos Emery didn’t make Cheltenham (as were plenty on here) but having accounted easily for the eventual Arkle winner, I have to have him on side for this because it would just be too typical for me not to back him next year having missed out this year!

I do like Le Richebourg though and the more I look at the market and potential JP candidates for this the more I like him. I wasn’t his biggest fan this year and he was desperately unlucky not to make Cheltenham. In hindsight I think it’s fair to say he would have won what was a weak Arkle. Had that been the case what price would he be now? It would certainly be half the price and if Altior were to go elsewhere, it would be even shorter, so I feel there’s a bit of value there, particularly when you turn your attention to top the market – there are 4 ahead of him at the moment. UDS isn’t getting any younger and I expect Min will go up in trip to the Ryanair. Chacun Pour Soi is super interesting in all but price and I’m kicking myself for not taking double figures when I had the chance, which then leaves Altior who I will have accounted for if my predictions above are right. Obviously you have plenty in behind who fit the could be anything bracket and emerge from nowhere which could make lots of what i'm saying above obsolete, but based on what we know now, I am happy to make this play because I’ve struggled to get on the right side of the race in recent years with Altior being so short and in many cases, scaring away each way ante post plays i've made that have gone in the bin.

Would be keen to hear the FJF thoughts, positions you've taken, thoughts re Altior.

Le Richbourg definitely the forgotten horse, I’ve had some 20/1 in case he comes back and improves but for me, and I risk the wrath if many in here, Altior will run here and will probably be very short.
    There are only 2 races for him in March, this and the Gold Cup and if anyone thought he’d ever get 26.5f they would have stepped him up before.
    Someone said 5/1 was available a while back, that would be tempting enough for me to hit the re-mortgage button and I’ve had a fair number of doubles with Paisley Park (at 5/2 and 3/1) and a few trixies with Buveur D’Air which, in September, look decent, but we’ve all been here before...
    Last edited by Istabraq; 3 September 2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Nice one Charlie.

I've taken positions on both Altior & Chacun Pour Soi (not at the price I should have taken mind).

I'm happy to have them 2 as my plays currently. With regards to the others I'm happy to have Cilaos Emery over Le Richebourg, just through form lines alone, not to mention CE being a Grade 1 winning hurdler, obviously Le Richebourg has improved for a fence, but as mentioned before, them form lines still put him behind CE and CPS for me!

I'm absolutely praying they don't send Min here yet again, I'm sure they won't make the same mistakes though!

I can't see much else in the way of serious contenders currently. I'm sure horses like Sceau Royal will give their running but I just don't think he's quite good enough.

Comment

Just seen this from Johnny Ward on Twitter regarding Le Richebourg - "Joseph O'Brien not overly positive about Le Richebourg this morning. "Hopefully he will run this year. If not we'll have him for next year."

I'd be careful about him.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
          Just seen this from Johnny Ward on Twitter regarding Le Richebourg - "Joseph O'Brien not overly positive about Le Richebourg this morning. "Hopefully he will run this year. If not we'll have him for next year."

I'd be careful about him.
          Thanks COD. If ever there was evidence to the benefits of opening things up to the forum before taking a position, then this is it!

Comment

The more I think about it the more 4/1 about Altior really tempts me. I took that price last year for him to go unbeaten and was chuffed to bits! 4/1!

Comment

Douvan at 25-1 surely comes into the equation. Sure, his fitness is a massive gamble but Willie Mullins confirmed he kept him at Closutton over the summer to keep him ticking over.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheltenham Novice Chase View Post
                Douvan at 25-1 surely comes into the equation. Sure, his fitness is a massive gamble but Willie Mullins confirmed he kept him at Closutton over the summer to keep him ticking over.
                Was absolutely tanking in 2018 but too hard to say what would have happened and he's been MIA for too long to be on my mind. I think it's one of those bets that looks a lot more tempting that it actually is. He'll be 10 next year and I think its fair now to question not just whether he could get back to his best to win a QMCC, but whether or not his best would have been good enough when he went there with stronger claims.

Comment

Think you're on the right lines with that post Charlie.
                  Any small setback in the season whatsoever and he will go to the CC if fit on the day. IMO.

Although I'm not so sure they'll push to 6's or 8's on an announcement alone. It seems fairly common knowledge that they're likely to have a go over further. Maybe one or two bookies could push it out a little.

An announcement that they've decided not to bother going for King George would be another matter altogether, and I'm pretty sure he'd tighten up a fair bit in the CC market.

Maybe an impressive win over the 2 and half mile trip on season debut could cause a drift though. And winning the King George would certainly do so.
                  Then the price could get interesting if they leave the door open for either Gold cup or CC.
                  And we may have one or two offering NRNB at this point.

Either way/any which way, I'd be wanting more on him at anything above 5's, having took the 5.4 William Hills were offering the other week.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                    The more I think about it the more 4/1 about Altior really tempts me. I took that price last year for him to go unbeaten and was chuffed to bits! 4/1!
                    I hadn't really looked at this market much until yesterday when I saw Altior was 4/1 and I was pretty taken by the price. When do we think the decision will be announced?

Comment

I'd be surprised if they lengthen Altiors price for the CC myself. If anything I actually thought it may be the opposite from that Hendersen interview. For me it came across slightly apprehensive. It's been public knowledge that Altior will likely have a go at the King George since April. I dont think any decisions or even declarations / races between now and then will change his price now. Certainly not considerably

Comment

Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
                        I hadn't really looked at this market much until yesterday when I saw Altior was 4/1 and I was pretty taken by the price. When do we think the decision will be announced?
                        "Altior is back at Seven Barrows and cantering away nicely so everything is going well and as soon as we have made a decision about where he’ll start his season, I’ll let you know."

Comment

Just the fact that they are seriously considering stepping Altior up and not training him with an unprecedented third QM in mind, for me means that they clearly feel he now needs it. I’m a big fan of the horse but thought he was vulnerable in last year’s race against some pretty ordinary 2 milers. I agree with the notion that there are only 2 races at he festival for him but surely if he wins the King George then the Gold Cup will be on the agenda. If he gets beat and drops back down to 2 miles, would you really want to go in heavy for the QM with a less than ideal prep and the gloss taken off his invincibility? In this scenario I would see him being even more vulnerable to a younger, more classy 2 miler who has had a conventional prep. Personally I am all over Chacun in this. The way connections speak of him suggests that they think he is something special and to do shat he did at Punchestown on his second chase start certainly backs that up.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
                            I doubt Hendo will publicly make a commitment until his Festival media day, we’ve seen in the past how much criticism is levied at trainers for putting punters away, deliberately or otherwise...

Comment

Originally posted by Morley Street View Post
                              Just the fact that they are seriously considering stepping Altior up and not training him with an unprecedented third QM in mind, for me means that they clearly feel he now needs it. I’m a big fan of the horse but thought he was vulnerable in last year’s race against some pretty ordinary 2 milers. I agree with the notion that there are only 2 races at he festival for him but surely if he wins the King George then the Gold Cup will be on the agenda. If he gets beat and drops back down to 2 miles, would you really want to go in heavy for the QM with a less than ideal prep and the gloss taken off his invincibility? In this scenario I would see him being even more vulnerable to a younger, more classy 2 miler who has had a conventional prep. Personally I am all over Chacun in this. The way connections speak of him suggests that they think he is something special and to do shat he did at Punchestown on his second chase start certainly backs that up.
                              He got a pretty poor ride in the Queen mother IMO.
                              He ended up leading 3 or 4 out but Nico seemed pretty determined to go steady enough and it just gave the speedier finishers a better chance. If he'd made any sort of serious mistake at the last 2 then he'd have been beat. And I personally think he should have gone for him way sooner and also set a stronger pace.
                              Eight of them were within a couple of lengths of each other and going well jumping the second last and that was never going to suit the FAV.
                              He clearly has the ability to go harder and sooner and let his stamina really hurt the others up the hill.
                              I'd mark him up after that race rather than the opposite. Not the Jockey though.

Comment

Working...
                              X