Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The latest from billy obviously states it’s up in the air but personally i’d be shocked if they keep Champ over hurdles for any longer and he’s not competing in a novice chase in the next couple of months.

He’s already had the extra year over hurdles. He’s been bought as a Gold Cup horse long term. Though that doesn’t always come to fruition, a third season over hurdles would mean he’d be novice chasing at 9 years old. I just can’t really see it. They’ll be plenty of slotting the JP horses around each other but if he continues the form he shows last season and takes to fences, for me there’s no way he gets moved around for the sake of another (as we’ve seen with some of JP’s in the past i.e Yanworth to Stayers) and some may brush it off but I do think the McCoy name will give him some form of slight preference (again if he performs)

I also wouldn’t get too hung up with trying to allocate different horses for different races. Not all the JP horses will fulfil the promise or potential currently held but if they are were to do so, they’ll be no choice but too run several in the same races. And there’s been no problem doing so before...

Buveur D’Air vs Yanworth
    Jezki vs My Tent or Yours
    Buveur D’Air vs My Tent or Yours
    Yanworth vs Unowhatimeanharry

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
      The latest from billy obviously states it’s up in the air but personally i’d be shocked if they keep Champ over hurdles for any longer and he’s not competing in a novice chase in the next couple of months.

He’s already had the extra year over hurdles. He’s been bought as a Gold Cup horse long term. Though that doesn’t always come to fruition, a third season over hurdles would mean he’d be novice chasing at 9 years old. I just can’t really see it. They’ll be plenty of slotting the JP horses around each other but if he continues the form he shows last season and takes to fences, for me there’s no way he gets moved around for the sake of another (as we’ve seen with some of JP’s in the past i.e Yanworth to Stayers) and some may brush it off but I do think the McCoy name will give him some form of slight preference (again if he performs)

I also wouldn’t get too hung up with trying to allocate different horses for different races. Not all the JP horses will fulfil the promise or potential currently held but if they are were to do so, they’ll be no choice but too run several in the same races. And there’s been no problem doing so before...

Buveur D’Air vs Yanworth
      Great post. Despite what he's achieved and his enormous potential Champ is just one of those horses that does nothing for me. That being said I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he turned out to be a superstar, nor would I be surprised if he achieved very little compared with his big reputation

Comment

I'd imagine we all have horses like that Charlie.
        I'm the same with a few myself.
        Like Battleoverdoyen for example - does nothing for me.
        But unlike you, I'll not sit on the fence, I'm happy to state that I think he's 'probably' bang average.

'probably' is like a little a fence though isn't it.

Comment

Buveur D’Air vs Yanworth
          just want to be clear, Nicky said that Champ is probably going chasing but they havent ruled out going down the stayers route, that was a comment at the start of August.
          Also he was pretty adament that Birchdale didn't stay 3 miles and he should of run him in the Ballymore, I felt that his comments were that strong that ive backed him max bet for he the JLT

Comment

Also asked him about Champ Platinum and kind of rolled his eyes, not really in a disrespectful way but more a look of frustration after that I personallywouldnt go near him as an antepost selction.

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
              Also asked him about Champ Platinum and kind of rolled his eyes, not really in a disrespectful way but more a look of frustration after that I personallywouldnt go near him as an antepost selction.
              Just to clear as well billy...Not brushing off what you've passed on or suggesting it's not true at all. Very grateful for the snippets you pass on in here. That's just my view of the horse.

Champagne Platinum is a funny one. Thought he showed a fair level of promise early last season without much substance. At Nickys Lambourne Open day in April he made a point about him for Novice chasing and to not forget about him. But his run at Punchestown that followed and this view certainly has me lukewarm on him again!

My shortlist for the race so far is:

Minella Indo (backed)
              Battleoverdoyen (backed)
              Bright Forecast
              Next Destination
              Dickie Diver

Strong case for Reserve Tank made here recently too.
              Basically just a race that I like plenty in! Could easily have 6 or 7 backed before any of them jump a fence

One other to add at a big price that should take very well to chasing (based on looks) is Beakstown (50/1)
              Trainer would put me off in the big grade 1 races still and as above there's loads of horses I like here who have achieved more but I think he'll step up another notch chasing

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
                I’m 99% sure I remember reading recently that Champagne Platinum is out for the season.

Comment

Just to clear as well billy...Not brushing off what you've passed on or suggesting it's not true at all. Very grateful for the snippets you pass on in here. That's just my view of the horse.

Champagne Platinum is a funny one. Thought he showed a fair level of promise early last season without much substance. At Nickys Lambourne Open day in April he made a point about him for Novice chasing and to not forget about him. But his run at Punchestown that followed and this view certainly has me lukewarm on him again!

My shortlist for the race so far is:

Minella Indo (backed)
                  Battleoverdoyen (backed)
                  Bright Forecast
                  Next Destination
                  Dickie Diver

Strong case for Reserve Tank made here recently too.
                  Basically just a race that I like plenty in! Could easily have 6 or 7 backed before any of them jump a fence

One other to add at a big price that should take very well to chasing (based on looks) is Beakstown (50/1)
                  Trainer would put me off in the big grade 1 races still and as above there's loads of horses I like here who have achieved more but I think he'll step up another notch chasing
                  I agree Jono , could easily have half a dozen backed in this race before october, Another horse maybe not to.
                  pass by - Lisnagar Oscar @ 40-1 -p.powers. Rebecca Curtis trained Ofaolains boy to win this race in 2014.

Comment

I can definitely see myself in this situation

Billy, I would never hold anyone to account for the information they supply on here, it's voluntary and everyone has the option of using it or not. The information you pass on is fantastic and muchly appreciated my end for sure.

Comment

Its all good lads, my message probably didnt come across as it was intended. I was just trying to emphasise that I would hate to put people away, I certainly didnt think people were being funny. Keep up the great work.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                        I can definitely see myself in this situation

Billy, I would never hold anyone to account for the information they supply on here, it's voluntary and everyone has the option of using it or not. The information you pass on is fantastic and muchly appreciated my end for sure.
                        Totally agree , Any info , gratefully accepted . and up to us as individuals to use it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          I'd imagine we all have horses like that Charlie.
                          I'm the same with a few myself.
                          Like Battleoverdoyen for example - does nothing for me.
                          But unlike you, I'll not sit on the fence, I'm happy to state that I think he's 'probably' bang average.

'probably' is like a little a fence though isn't it.
                          Love no fence sitting, good man!

Comment

Struggle to see Battleoverdoyen winning over 3m at the top level.

Breeding doesn't feel me with confidence, nor has his races. I've backed him 'any race', but I wouldn't be too confident if he turned up here tbh.

He's 40/1 to find out which is fair, but the 27.63/1 for 'any race' appealed more.

I do realise he's won his PTP, but this race would be a different level altogether.
                            Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 12 September 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                              Struggle to see Battleoverdoyen winning over 3m at the top level.

Breeding doesn't feel me with confidence, nor has his races. I've backed him 'any race', but I wouldn't be too confident if he turned up here tbh.

He's 40/1 to find out which is fair, but the 27.63/1 for 'any race' appealed more.

I do realise he's won his PTP, but this race would be a different level altogether.
                              It's tough because there's loads of information we don't know yet, but I can't believe he's 40/1 based on what we do know. I am assuming 40/1 is largely down to his Cheltenham flop because if he was priced up on reputation then he would be near the top of the market with Champ and Minella Indo.

Whether impressed or unimpressed with last season, forget what he did over hurdles. Whilst the more recent winners of the RSA have been well known and emerged from either being victorious when last at Cheltenham (or going close), history paints a different picture and I have no problem putting a line through the Ballymore. Blaklion pulled up in the Albert Bartlett before winning RSA. Might Bight couldn’t beat horses rated in the mid 120’s over hurdles at Cheltenham 11 months before winning the RSA. O'Faolains Boy finished 20 lengths behind At Fishers Cross in the AB, before winning RSA. Lord Windermere finished 8th in his last hurdle race losing to rubbish horses before winning RSA.

I try not factor in trainer views because I know how much Gordon thinks of BOD, and plenty of people not closely associated with the horse back up those strong views. Keith Donoghue said if there was a Gold Cup star in Gordon's camp then there is no doubt its Battleoverdoyen. He's being mentioned in the same breath as Best Mate and Imperial Commander off the PTP scene. Whilst people saying things like this don’t fill me with confidence, it at least makes me think that they believe he will be a future star. When you then factor in his cost, trainer and owner profile, it all points towards something that could be a weapon and as you rightly point out COD, 40/1 is a great price to find out. Whether he goes on to achieve great things or bomb out completely, it is a superb example of a value ante post bet IMO.

Comment

I'm always up for forgiving one run, my main issue is not knowing which race he will end up in, as I struggle to believe he will be a 3miler, despite what has been said about him.

I think he's a talent, which is why I played the 'any race' market, and will probably continue to do so, rather than race specific.

I will 100% be congratulating you all if he does turn up and win at 40's, but I also won't be feeling too sore, as 25's (can be boosted) any race is way more than fair IMO.

Problem with Gigginstown is their chasers could end up anywhere, Samcro could end up here and BOD down in the JLT for all we know, and despite playing Samcro for the JLT the majority of my stake on him is 'any race' again.

Comment

Working...
                                X