Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

RSA Chase 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would like to get next destination in the book but unsure who to back him with. I see he’s 33/1 in places but 20/1 at bet365 with the cash out option. I’m fairly new to AP betting, any thoughts on the best way to go about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Very much one I am looking to add soon too.

I do think I recall them saying Cheltenham isn't his track though.

I'll try and find it....
      Elliott said: "He never handled the track, and after two hurdles you could see him changing his legs.
      "We scoped him after the race, and he was as clean as a whistle".
      "He just didn't handle the track and was never happy. Jack was right to pull him up"

Given what he showed pre-cheltenham and the poorness of the run, I am more inclined to think it was just a bad day at the office and not necessarily Cheltenham isn't his track. I didn't know he lost a shoe but as CNC says, that won't have helped.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
        Elliott said: "He never handled the track, and after two hurdles you could see him changing his legs.
        "He just didn't handle the track and was never happy. Jack was right to pull him up"

Given what he showed pre-cheltenham and the poorness of the run, I am more inclined to think it was just a bad day at the office and not necessarily Cheltenham isn't his track. I didn't know he lost a shoe but as CNC says, that won't have helped.
        40/1 is certainly a tempter of a price. I thought I'd already backed him to be honest but I haven't yet.

It isn't ideal, but I'd expect them to give it another go.

He'll have had his credentials tested either over Christmas or at the DRF and if he's come out of those Grade 1's well, he'll be a much shorter price and people will start to pick away at the course form.

At 40/1 I won't care as much

Comment

He was pulled out lame at punchestown.
          https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
          Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
            He was pulled out lame at punchestown.
            Didn't know that either. Maybe they didn't find what was to account for such a poor run in the Ballymore.

Comment

I am all over Battleoverdoyen and think he’s a massive price @ 40/1 (William Hill). Ante Post prices are generally rubbish compared to the days of old, but prices like this give me faith all is not lost! I’ve used quite a few £5 free bets on him @ 25/1 (Skybet), but have decided to take a bigger position @ 40’s.

Gordon loves him. You don’t have to look too hard to stumble across plenty of quotes praising the ‘big chaser in the making’ that he ‘wouldn’t swap him for anything’.

Gerry Cosgrave, known as a genial County Down point-to-point trainer, had BOD before Gordon. ‘‘He was a lovely, big, strong fella, the sort that takes a bit of time, but he did everything so easy. You can see now, it was total ability he had. I had a feeling I had something nice, that’s for sure‘‘

He won his only pointing start at Loughanmore in April 2017 and five days later was sold for £235,000 at Tattersalls Ireland Cheltenham. Interestingly, Racing TV did an interview with Richard Pugh (14/02/2019) who has probably seen more P2P’s that I’ve had hot dinners, and when asked which horses he saw at P2P’s for the first time that he thought would go on to be a star he mentions three. Best Mate, Imperial Commander and Battleoverdoyen who he described as ‘awesome’.

Gerry Cosgrave said "I’m hoping Battleoverdoyen wins the Gold Cup some day because jumping fences is his proper game."

Even if you’re one of those people that cannot put a line through the Ballymore, when you combine his profile and regard he’s held, P2P win, price tag, horses he is being aligned with, and the fact he's trained by GE, make him no 40/1 shot. He needs time, fences and more than two and half miles, all of which he will get. The market has over reacted to his flop at Cheltenham and Gordon’s post-race comments, and then Champ and Minella Indo have both enhanced their Cheltenham form since in fine style. They have shortened leaving serious value in behind. I hope Gerry is right and he is good enough to progress into a Gold Cup horse. Long way to go, but I expect BOD to win his beginners chase and not look back. Price will tumble and we’ll all be on at 40’s.
              I have to say, that is an absolute belter of a post. An excellent argument made.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                I have to say, that is an absolute belter of a post. An excellent argument made.
                Cheers MOM. 2.26 - 4.19 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gJk1HP_dWNc

Comment

Agree, cracking post Charlie... as a backer of BoD last year I had not considered having it my book this time around but you’re right, 40s is tremendous value based upon the above and worth a punt IMO.

Comment

Great insight and thoughts there charlie, have taken the boosted 44/1 with Hills

Comment

Sire Du Berlais for the NH Chase? Keep DD for this

Comment

I struggle to see a scenario where Champ & Dickie Diver take each other on, so I think one of them has to give, choosing which, is ayones guess right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of them stays hurdling though.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                          I struggle to see a scenario where Champ & Dickie Diver take each other on, so I think one of them has to give, choosing which, is ayones guess right now.

Wouldn't surprise me if one of them stays hurdling though.
                          I agree. I expect they will both be started over fences and as we learn more their paths to Cheltenham will become more clearly defined. I am a big fan of Dickie Diver and have backed him with a few free bets. Coincidentally, the two horses that stood out a mile at Cheltenham just in terms of sheer size (other than TOTG), was Dickie Diver and Battleoverdoyen. They'll fill those frames and come back stronger and as better chasers than they ever were hurdlers imo. Here's hoping.

Comment

I agree. I expect they will both be started over fences and as we learn more their paths to Cheltenham will become more clearly defined. I am a big fan of Dickie Diver and have backed him with a few free bets. Coincidentally, the two horses that stood out a mile at Cheltenham just in terms of sheer size (other than TOTG), was Dickie Diver and Battleoverdoyen. They'll fill those frames and come back stronger and as better chasers than they ever were hurdlers imo. Here's hoping.
                            You're not wrong, just re-watched the Bartlett 3 times in a row, and DD was just a gangly looking frame, but could be an absolute unit of a horse, IF he fills out.

I'm so tempted to have a small punt on DD for the Stayers, after re-watching the Bartlett.

Comment

Agree BOD is made for fences, jumps reasonably well from the limited view from his P2P: https://youtu.be/eSl7I9JizqA

I like Dickie Diver but was going to wait until his plans are a little clearer. 16-1 any race doesn't appeal unless adding in a multiple.

Comment

I think JP's novice chasers are going to be a tricky to predict the correct races for. I said throughout last season that he'll have a hell of a squad for this season and most of them are with Henderson which makes it even more difficult. With Henderson alone he has Birchdale, Champ, Champagne Platinum, Dickie Diver and Rathhill as possible high class chasers. Most of those are very unexposed and open to lots of improvement as they have another year of growth. Some even skipped their bumper season and went straight over hurdles so that's a sign that they want to crack on with chasing as soon as possible.

Although I was championing Birchdale for the RSA, I am now in two minds given his run in the AB and subsequent comments from Henderson. However, I'm not sure even he is that clear cut as he'd have had another summer now and I found this from early last season too:

"Nicky Henderson has no shortage of promising types on his hands and Birchdale looked to be another when earning a 20-1 quote for next year’s Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle with Paddy Power in taking the Actioncoach Invest In The Best Maiden Hurdle.

Assistant trainer Toby Lawes said of the 9-4 victor: “That was very good. He has always looked like a really smart horse that has loads of size and scope.

“Barry (Geraghty) said that trip (two-miles-five-furlongs) is good and that he wants every yard of it. In time he will be the most magnificent three-mile chaser.

“He is a really smart horse for the future and everything he achieves this year is a bonus. He is a really exciting prospect.

“We could possibly come back for the Leamington. We won that with Mr Whipped last year and it’s a nice race. Something like that would be right up his street.”

Comment

Working...
                                X