Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Festival Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festival Changes

A series of changes to the National Hunt Chase at the Cheltenham Festival have been made, including reducing the distance of the race by two furlongs and number of fences from 25 to 23

Other changes announced by the BHA, a new mares chase will be added to the Cheltenham Festival schedule in 2021

The Cheltenham Festival will continue to consist of 28 races over four days and the new mares' chase will replace an existing race, which is yet to be decided

Booooooooooooo

Comment

Be interesting to see what race goes, personally would be quite happy to see the back of the Fred Winter

Comment

Bloody women and animal rights activists

In all seriousness though that NH Chase was a hard watch this year, especially in them conditions, the reduction of distance is not so much of an issue for me, although ultimately no horse lost its life because of the distance, and the changes would not of saved Ballyward!

As for the Mares Chase, I'd happily replace it with the Bumper or FW, but that's about it for me.

Comment

The Fred winter drains the poor horses away from a max field triumph so maybe the pipe race will go or the novice hcap chase to encourage more runners in the arkle/jlt. Personally hope it’s the Fred winter or pipe though

Comment

Another Mares race for Willie Mullins to mop up in

Comment

Has to be close brothers novice handicap chase surely ? Or brown advisory ?
              The races that tend to have the smallest fields are the grade 1 chases so a mares Chase would only make this worse potentially. So you’d expect one of the other chases would go.

Comment

Brown advisory open to 5yrs old plus so I’d go odds on the novice handicap

Comment

Just backed it 5/4 paddy’s
                  Wasn’t expecting to make that bet today

Comment

Glad to see the 4 miler for novices reduced, I’ve always found it stupid that horses can enter that race never having raced 4 mile before with amateur jockeys on board.

I’ve been hoping for a novice mates chase for years now. I’m glad it’s now happening, it’s long over due. Instead of cutting races I’d like to see the Cheltenham Festival either extended to 5 days or have an extra race added to each day and start at midday. There are a few races I’m not keen on at the Festival but don’t want to see them cut.

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                      Glad to see the 4 miler for novices reduced, I’ve always found it stupid that horses can enter that race never having raced 4 mile before with amateur jockeys on board.
                      There were similar issues with the National until a few years ago, stricter qualifying criteria can only be a good thing.

The NH Chase is the oldest and most historic race of the festival, considered way more important than the Gold Cup probably until Golden Miller's era, so ending the race was never a reasonable request but last years race was not a good look so doing nothing wasn't an option and the changes, for me, are positive.

I have been convinced for many years that the long term intention would be to extend the festival to five days, Tuesday to Saturday with six races per day (a mirror image of Royal Ascot), but the announcement that the new mares chase will replace an existing race suggests this won't happen which preserves what we currently have and will also come as a huge relief to Uttoxeter racecourse.

If they're introducing a chase it makes sense to lose a chase and the Close Bros has to be the one to go.
                      I saw the Browns Advisory Plate was well touted to go but this race, like the NH Chase, has significant history.
                      Previously known as the Mildmay of Flete, which I think was restricted to second season chasers, this restriction was removed and it became an open 2m 4f handicap.

With the 2m 4f JLT (which regularly attracts single figure fields) and the Browns Advisory it was surprising the Close Bros race was ever created....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                        There were similar issues with the National until a few years ago, stricter qualifying criteria can only be a good thing.

The NH Chase is the oldest and most historic race of the festival, considered way more important than the Gold Cup probably until Golden Miller's era, so ending the race was never a reasonable request but last years race was not a good look so doing nothing wasn't an option and the changes, for me, are positive.

I have been convinced for many years that the long term intention would be to extend the festival to five days, Tuesday to Saturday with six races per day (a mirror image of Royal Ascot), but the announcement that the new mares chase will replace an existing race suggests this won't happen which preserves what we currently have and will also come as a huge relief to Uttoxeter racecourse.

If they're introducing a chase it makes sense to lose a chase and the Close Bros has to be the one to go.
                        I saw the Browns Advisory Plate was well touted to go but this race, like the NH Chase, has significant history.
                        Previously known as the Mildmay of Flete, which I think was restricted to second season chasers, this restriction was removed and it became an open 2m 4f handicap.

With the 2m 4f JLT (which regularly attracts single figure fields) and the Browns Advisory it was surprising the Close Bros race was ever created....
                        The 5/4 PP are offering is way overpriced based on your longer summary.
                        Not restricting my bet either, which is unusual for them.

Comment

Is the new race a mares novice chase or graded mares chase?

Could mean laurina heads over fences this season if so

Comment

I'd personally do away with the Fred Winter myself but agree with Ista - Close Brothers would make the most sense. With it being such a compressed handicap of 5lbs, there's enough of an alternative between the JLT and Plate. You'd also assume they'd be looking at replacing like for like as much as possible I.e a Chase and at the same distance.

Happy to see the changes brought into place for the NHC. Can't see them doing away with that race now they have brought plenty of changes in place and the criteria seems fair (could see some single figure field sizes based on the criteria at first glance which likely wouldn't be a negative to many)

Not fussed with a Mares Chase but very glad to see it's still sticking to the 4 days. Still think it's a matter of time but the longer it stays that way the better

Comment

Originally posted by Kautostar View Post
                              Is the new race a mares novice chase or graded mares chase?

Could mean laurina heads over fences this season if so
                              Grade 2 - 2021.
                              Looks likely a novice season on the cards for Laurina.

Comment

Working...
                              X