Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

York Ebor Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Ebor Meeting

The entries for the Group 2 - Great Voltigeur are out. 30 entries with AOB having 17 of them.

22 are entered for the St Leger with the exceptions being: Surfman, Mohawk, Lancaster House, Jalmoud, Kangaroo Valley, Blenheim Palace, Bangkok and Kosciuszko.

Dashing Willoughby has a 3lb Group 2 penalty.

At this point I am looking for my St Leger fancies to go well here if they run at York.

Constantinople - I can see AOB looking at headgear to see if this colt can go more fully through with his finishing efforts. Not sure AOB will run him here, he could find an easier prep run and then take in the St Leger. I am hoping he isn’t a weak finisher, or for him to improve for a trip, which his breeding suggests he could.

Sir Dragonet - I backed him for the St Leger and the Chester Vase after his debut win. Collected at 12/1 on Chester Win, and now hoping he turns up here and rockets in to favourite for the St Leger, which would invigorate my long ago 25/1 St Leger betslip. I saw him more as Doncaster classic runner than an Epsom one, but he ran really well in the Derby, which didn’t dilute my confidence for the Leger.

Logician - I came to add him to my St Leger portfolio more recently at 18/1 & 16/1 after the possible AOB Donny plans became hazy. I thought a collapsing price could occur on this Gosden horse, but he is still available at 10/1 for Donny and seems to be the trainers most realistic chance of a short-priced St Leger runner.
    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 11 August 2019, 08:10 PM.
    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Just backed True Self for the Ebor.
    W Hill 22-1.
    Willie's interview on sporting life is quite positive, the lines and between the lines.
    Obviously a very hot race and draw may play a part, but this filly has definitely been aimed at this race and will start a single figure price IMO.
    When she's really trying to win, she travels like a good un. The cover and pace she will no doubt get in this race suit to suit her perfectly. Watch her videos and get on.

Comment

Also backed Proschema for the Ebor
      Skybet 25-1 ew 5 places NRNB.
      Good run in melrose last year, and has ran well on similar tracks and big fields.
      But has disappointed a few times when well fancied for one of these big handicaps this season.
      Still the type that may pop up and run very well in a race like this. Only 4lb higher than the Melrose run.
      Just think it's value as it's NRNB 5 places and likely shorter on the day.
      Needs a few to come out but may just sneak in at the bottom.

Comment

Looking at the 5-Day decs for the first three days of the Ebor Meeting there are a few that appeal to me at the moment, having run through the videos of past runs and the key competition.

Weds
        Acomb Stakes - VALDEMORO 8/1
        Richard Fahey’s colt has looked green on his first two runs, but travelled well and strode away LTO.

4.15pm 2M Handicap SAROOG
        SIMON Crisford’s gelding won LTO but won’t be handicapped high enough to get into the main target of the Ebor. He looks interesting off 96 in this. No betting yet.

Thurs
        Lowther Stakes WEJDAN
        Came from last to first for William Haggas in a Newbury Maiden, strong-looking type. The fav is good over 5F. If she is to be challenged over 6F then this filly could be one to note. Entered by trainer in the Chevely Park.

Clipper Logistics 8F Handicap KYNREN
        I quickly took the opening 14/1 on this with BF/PP when it was up for a short time on Friday afternoon. Now a 9/1 shot but still interesting at that price. Beaten a neck in a quality field (Sharjah Bridge now 113-rated was 4th) in this race last year off 97, now just 4lb higher despite some excellent big Handicap form in 3 runs this year.

4.50pm 7F Fillies Handicap MUBTASIMAH
        Hatrick Of wins this year for the W Haggas filly, interesting that she is a 3yo filly rated 96 but entered in this fillies Handicap at a favourite venue of the trainer rather than stepping into a black type race. No betting yet.

Friday
        Skybet 1M4F Handicap ALRIGHT SUNSHINE
        Ran nine races in nine months from debut to now with 6 wins (inc 3 NHF races) two 2nds and a third. All six wins between 12F and 15F, always seems to travel strongly through races, stays well rather than any change of pace, so York’s long straight May suit. The 20/1 with B365 seems to big, so took that price (10/1 and 14/1 elsewhere).

4.50pm 1M 3yo Handicap SPIRIT WARNING
        Mill Reef colours carried now by the Balding Stables racing club. The same owner and trainer won this last year with Urban Aspect, and this gelding has been close in all his races this season and last and is a half brother to Side Glance (RPR 119). No betting yet.
        Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 17 August 2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I'll be at York Wednesday.
          Picked out Persuasion at 13/2 for the Acomb - The run at Goodwood was impressive as I think he had more to offer, and had to quicken at least twice, so he may be able to improve a lot if he gets to have one clean run at it, which is likely at York.

Eddystone Rock in the stayer race - no prices yet, and similar to Saroog, having won last time but not high enough for the main race ebor. This horse has been crying out for 2 miles for the last three years and won impressively at ascot the last day. Cost me a fair bit when given one of the worst rides ever in the November handicap at Donny a few years back. But can chuck in a bad run every now and then.
          Just got a soft spot for it and hope this new distance can help.

Backed King of Comedy at 12's for the Juddmonte (cashed out when it was heavily backed and favourite fr the Marois last weekend) annoyed.
          So backed Elarqam instead at 12's as the beating of Addeyb looks impressive and may mean he's finally running to his best. However, Crystal Ocean ought to win this race easily.

Comment

So far I have Withhold at 25/1 and Royal Line at 16/1 in the Ebor. Not sure I'll be having many bets next week at all.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
              Also backed Proschema for the Ebor
              Skybet 25-1 ew 5 places NRNB.
              Good run in melrose last year, and has ran well on similar tracks and big fields.
              But has disappointed a few times when well fancied for one of these big handicaps this season.
              Still the type that may pop up and run very well in a race like this. Only 4lb higher than the Melrose run.
              Just think it's value as it's NRNB 5 places and likely shorter on the day.
              Needs a few to come out but may just sneak in at the bottom.
              Didnt I read the Skeltons have bought him?

Interesting buy anyway, they’ll likely do well with him

Comment

I think Downdraft would run a great race if he takes up his entry. He’s got a really nice weight and the form of his latest run would have him about 10lbs in hand if all runners had ran to form. From a long term perspective too, I think Joseph O’Brien will go on to steal lots of our big Handicap pots in the future, on the flat and national hunt too. He’s really going places

Comment

Not found myself excited at all for this meeting ... which is odd as on paper it's very good.

Can't put my finger on it, but I don't care if Enable or Stradivarius carry on their winning streaks, or whether Ten Sovereigns is actually a superstar.

I hope I'm not losing my enthusiasm for 'the great game' ...

Help me?

Comment

If we rewind the clock back to the 6th of July Regal Reality was considered a horse on steep upward curve- having finished 2 3/4Ls behind Enable and 2 behind Magical. A personal best + considering he's a hothead, it was probably acceptable to presume he'd either build on that or sustain that form. His last run was on soft at York, having been hammered when Sangarius seemed to be swerving the race + he was to run. The heavens opened and he drifted, the ground probably wasn't good form him, for all he won a debut on soft.
                    He ran poor, and now is 33/1 and 40+ on the exchanges.

Elarqam is around 11s and posted a personal best in the York race RR blew out in. The fav Addeybb didn't have a perfect race that day + i'd argue Elarqam was flattered, how is RR 3 times the price or more ? Unless he's a NR of course haha.

Of the 3yos, Circus seems solid, but not spectacular, Japan could be ok over the trip, but probably wants further and King Of Comedy could be anything (tricky customer but bags of talent).

Crystal Ocean by miles the one to beat, but on good ground + 1m2 (even extended 1m2) i think he's not facing his ideal conditions tomorrow. The horse IMO, wants 1m4 on good ground, and can cope well over 1m2, but probably would like it softer over the trip.

Regal Reality is a stonking bet IMO, i put him up and agreed with others on another forum at 25s, i've cashed and went in at the bigger prices.

Comment

No singles but very small stakes each way trebles and upwards on the following:

Justanotherbottle 11/1
                      Persuasion 4/1
                      Norway 14/1 (cliff horse)
                      Japan 5/1
                      Sleeping Lion 9/1
                      Haggas horse in last 5/1

Comment

Very small plays on Gunmetal and Eddystone Rock today.
                        Good luck all

Comment

Cheeky one on Gunmetal

Haggas has a crazy strike rate here so I'm going with his bigger priced Ethic today at 10/1

Comment

Bless Him tomorrow.

I. Can't. Resist!

Comment

Cracking first day today, had all three Group race winners, for the first time I can remember, and I have been going to International Day at York for thirty years.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Logician and Constantinople go for the St Leger now and Japan for the Arc, as I have good positions on each of them.

Thursday could be a different matter, but keeping my glass half-full attitude rolling into day two I have

WEJDAN Lowther at 6/1
                              MUMS TIPPLE Yearling Sales Race 7/1
                              KYNREN Clipper Logistics, managed to get 14/1 first show as soon as prices went up.
                              SALAYEL 7F Fillies Handicap at 5/1

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Good luck to all forum followers.
                              Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 21 August 2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X