Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Shergar Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shergar Cup

I’m off to Ascot tomorrow to watch the Shergar Cup Races. Any one else showing an interest and having a bet?

I’ll definitely be having a bet.
    Had a look through card yesterday and picked out the Gallagher horse who’s reserve in the sprint and the channon horse in the 2 miler
    Then I started getting nervous about jockeys and weather and backed off a bit
    I’ll be looking again this afternoon.
    Thought romanised at 11/4 in deauville was big enough for Sunday’s group one also

Comment

Green power & billy Ray

Comment

I think that the meeting is a plastic abomination but it's interesting to see the varying styles of overseas jockeys.

From a betting point of view, it's worth bearing in mind that last year just one joint favourite won and one joint favourite placed. In 2017, one joint won and one placed (same race) and two outright favourites placed. 2016, one winning favourite and two placed. Small stakes only I'd have thought. Have a good day.

Comment

Just googled plastic abomination and it came up with
          The scarlet witch figurine and some stuff for dungeons and dragons and that.
          But I get what you mean Archie.
          I was going to go with the angle that tudhope is the best jockey by a few pounds but I’m not sure as I can’t weigh up some of the others

Comment

When we booked tickets for tomorrow’s racing at Ascot we didn’t realise it was Shergar Cup format. I’m not a fan but hoping to be won over tomorrow. My concern is that the horses may not have been targeted at these races and the jockeys may get very limited time to ride on them beforehand. That said I know the prize money has been increased this year which should hopefully improve the competition and there will hopefully be 10 horses per race as they have 2 reserves so we may as punters have decent value and places available. The cynic in me makes we worry that some of the races may be a PR stunt and the women will do well with the big drive for female equality and opportunity in top level racing but I’m sure that’s me just be cynical.

I appreciate the stats from about the Fav’s performances Archie, it’s duly noted. From memory Andrew Baldings horses performed well last year along with Hayley Turner and Gerald Mossee. Balding is well represented again this year. At this stage I fancy most of Baldings horses especially Stone of Destiny and Hero Hero. Other horses I will be backing are Via Serendipity, Pass The Vino and Time To Study.

Comment

When we booked tickets for tomorrow’s racing at Ascot we didn’t realise it was Shergar Cup format. I’m not a fan but hoping to be won over tomorrow. My concern is that the horses may not have been targeted at these races and the jockeys may get very limited time to ride on them beforehand. That said I know the prize money has been increased this year which should hopefully improve the competition and there will hopefully be 10 horses per race as they have 2 reserves so we may as punters have decent value and places available. The cynic in me makes we worry that some of the races may be a PR stunt and the women will do well with the big drive for female equality and opportunity in top level racing but I’m sure that’s me just be cynical.

I appreciate the stats from about the Fav’s performances Archie, it’s duly noted. From memory Andrew Baldings horses performed well last year along with Hayley Turner and Gerald Mossee. Balding is well represented again this year. At this stage I fancy most of Baldings horses especially Stone of Destiny and Hero Hero. Other horses I will be backing are Via Serendipity, Pass The Vino and Time To Study.

Comment

I'd imagine the lack of favourite successes is largely down to the races all being handicaps, and the Jockey factor must play it's part.

I'd like to think there's no dodginess involved myself, although you may have an interesting angle with the trainer's targeting.

I'm sure some of the trainers will support this event and enjoy it more than others.

Comment

Horrific meeting from a punting perspective, I get why they want to do it but I'm surprised so many owners support the event, imagine some idiot foreigner who fancies the idea of winning by half the length of the straight, johnny owner gets saddled with a weight rise that'll stop the horse for a year.
                  Some decent betting heats at Newmarket and Haydock to focus on...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    Horrific meeting from a punting perspective, I get why they want to do it but I'm surprised so many owners support the event, imagine some idiot foreigner who fancies the idea of winning by half the length of the straight, johnny owner gets saddled with a weight rise that'll stop the horse for a year.
                    Some decent betting heats at Newmarket and Haydock to focus on...
                    Bit racist

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                      Bit racist
                      Absolutely not.
                      I’m trying to reference someone who hasn’t raced in this country and gets carried away by the venue/occasion, as amateurs often do at Cheltenham.
                      The fact you (or anyone) believe there are any racist connotations in my post is disappointing

Comment

Would that happen to a horses weight or would the handicapper take into consideration the unique circumstances of the meeting?

Credit to Skybet, they are offering 4 places at 1/5 on every race which is pretty good value considering every race has 10 runners.

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                          Would that happen to a horses weight or would the handicapper take into consideration the unique circumstances of the meeting?
                          You’d like to think so but as a handicap, run under the rules of UK racing, handicapping/ratings will be consistent with all other races

Comment

With the winner getting 30k for each race tomorrow I can’t imagine many owners or trainers worrying too much about the winning distance as they are all Class 2 and 3 races so decent prize money on offer.

Comment

Most of the better horses are rated around the 100 mark which gets them in every big handicap where prize money is £100k+.
                              I agree the winners purse tomorrow isn’t insignificant but most handicap wins mean a new rating that stops the horse for a few runs, any 8-10lb rise will hurt...

Comment

Working...
                              X