Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

August Forum Yankee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Forum Yankee

I like the idea of using Billymags visit to Henderson’s yard to make a Nicky Henderson Yankee. With the idea that September is a Gordon Elliott yankee before then being at a month the jumps would’ve started by.

With Henderson horses in mind, Champ and Altior are two obvious starting points.

Birchdale jlt

Comment

I suppose a starter list, in no particular order, might be
      Santini
      Dickie Diver
      Champ
      Fusil Raffles
      Birchdale
      Altior
      Buveur D'Air
      Rathhill
      Angels Breath
      Epatante
      OK Corral
      Pentland Hills
      plus any novices that Billymag might have in his back pocket.

Comment

Altior in the QMCC has to go in then, as 5/1 will be much bigger than SP if he's sound and well...

and if he doesn't run, he'll have won a King George and be going for a Gold Cup to be an all-time great and we won't care...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Altior in the QMCC has to go in then, as 5/1 will be much bigger than SP if he's sound and well...

and if he doesn't run, he'll have won a King George and be going for a Gold Cup to be an all-time great and we won't care...
          Agreed. Obviously if loads of people disagreed, it would require a rethink but I think even at this stage, he’s basically a certainty to be put in the yankee.

I’d be very keen on Champ for the RSA too.

Comment

Dickie Diver @ 25/1 in RSA gets my vote.

Comment

Looking at Billymags info he included a strong word from Alan King for The Glancing Queen among good words for Hendo’s Shishkin, Rathhill and Fusil Raffles.

Of these the easier ones to spot the plans for would be:-

The Glancing Queen - Mares Novice Hurdle 20/1 Unibet
              Fusil Raffles - Champion Hurdle 25/1 generally

Unless targets are known for Shishkin and/or Rathhill.
              "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

I wouldn't vote for anything other than a Mullins horse in the mares novice.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                  I wouldn't vote for anything other than a Mullins horse in the mares novice.
                  Lamarckise

Comment

Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                    Lamarckise
                    Lamarckise is 25/1 for the Mares Novice with 365 and Uni. Once raced, RPR 118 when 3rd in April 18.

Long way to go yet, but for reference the RPRs of the four winners of the Mares Novice have been 148, 146, 154 and last year 138. Mullins won all 4, Elliott had 2 placed and King 2 placed (Dusky Legend both times, beaten 4 to 6 lengths and who gained a best RPR of 147 away from the Festival).

If King thinks that The Glancing Queen is his best mare ever then he rates her better than Dusky Legend (RPR 147), if she is a close to that rating by next March then she would be good enough to be in the shake up for a Mares Novice Hurdle.

With The Glancing Queen a winning Listed Bumper, a Grade 2 Aintree Bumper Win and a staying on 5th (only Mare running) in the Cheltenham Champion Bumper, her credentials are more solid than most.

Whilst also appreciating that Willie always seems to find a group of Mares capable of dominating, whether we know who they are or not at this time, and he could have one or two super Mares to blow the current favs away.

You can only know, what you know.

Be interesting to know what Willie knows, but I don’t think he posts on our forum, unfortunately.
                    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

I'm surprised Lamarckise has an RPR of 118 after just one run, Laurina raced 3 times, once with WPM and only achieved a rating of 121 after her Irish debut, Eglantine Du Seuil only achieved 114 on her first start for WPM, so would assume, on RPR's only that Lamarckise could exceed them, if she does the business on her first start.

Comment

I'll try and ask the questions next week.

Dusky Legend's best RPR over hurdles was 142 and she was rated 134 and 140 for her Cheltenham defeats. The corresponding ORs are 139, 131 and 139. I'm fairly neutral about King's abilities as a trainer and opinions on horses but I'd say that The Glancing Queen would have to be quite a lot better than Dusky Legend to give Willie (or indeed Peter Fahey) sleepless nights.

Gypsy Island was clear best of last season's bumper mares but none of the previous Cheltenham winners had even run in a bumper in Ireland or the UK and bumper form would be some way down my list of requirements for betting propositions.

Comment

Is chante neige still alive?

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                            I'll try and ask the questions next week.

Dusky Legend's best RPR over hurdles was 142 and she was rated 134 and 140 for her Cheltenham defeats. The corresponding ORs are 139, 131 and 139. I'm fairly neutral about King's abilities as a trainer and opinions on horses but I'd say that The Glancing Queen would have to be quite a lot better than Dusky Legend to give Willie (or indeed Peter Fahey) sleepless nights.

Gypsy Island was clear best of last season's bumper mares but none of the previous Cheltenham winners had even run in a bumper in Ireland or the UK and bumper form would be some way down my list of requirements for betting propositions.
                            I have to agree with everything you’ve said about TGQ and the Mares Novice Hurdle on this thread.

I’d like to see her come out and win a decent Mares Hurdle before thinking about her for one of these.

Comment

Nicky Henderson Yankee...
                              1- Fusil Raffles -ch. hdl.
                              2- Champ -r.s.a.
                              3- Birchdale -j.l.t.
                              4- Santini -gold cup.
                              suggestion for the August yankee.

Comment

Working...
                              X