Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Galway Festival 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galway Festival 2019

Weights released for the Plate

and the Hurdle

Saw the entries last week for both races and studied them over the weekend. The weights announcement didn’t change any Irish ratings, it confirmed or slightly amended the UK entries, usually down by 1 to 3 lbs based on their UK rating.

The shortlist I got to was

Galway Plate
    Poker Party - improving in good class Handicap chases over mid-distances and the trainer has won the race twice in the last 3 years. The horse likes to track the pace near the head of big fields which should be useful in this big field Handicap.

Ravenhill - another improver, this time a lightly raced horse that has only recently switched to Chases and struck up a sequence of good results, again close up to the front and with Davy Russell in the saddle. May have to put up a bit of overweight if Davy is to stay in the saddle off only 10st 2lbs. Gordon Elliott is the other recent winning trainer in the race two out of the last four winners.

Others I like are:
    Borice - recent recruit from french racing, move by Souede/Munir, Elliott’s had him romping to 30 length Novice Hurdle wins to freshen him up

Azzuri - Dan Skeltons horse ran an amazing race bolting up at Ayr on his first run after a wind op. 12lbs higher here, but I don’t think that would stop a good run, but maybe the trip is on the long side for him. I like him but prefer his Galway Hurdle Entry over the 2M trip better.

Galway Hurdle
    Fiesole. - For me the first one that stood out, and today the Irish handicapper has reduced his rating for this race by 2lb from UK rating. Ex-Irish horse with bits of good form. Went to UK to Olly Murphy and really took off at the end of the season with a smooth success by 9lengths in a a Handicap Hurdle followed by a closing fast 2&1/4 length 4th to Le Patriote in the Swinton Hurdle. The hold-up tactics adopted in the latter race were exaggerated too much and hampered his chance of victory. He could be a big improver and interesting that his new trainer has aimed him here.

Band Of Outlaws - Joseph OBriens brilliant placement to win the big field Fred Winter was a joy to watch, bumped approaching the last hurdle but still staying on up the hill really well. He looks to me to be capable at Graded level already though he disappointed through his Grade 1 Aintree run post-Chelters.
    His prep run for this was perfect, no rating increase from 145 and giving 6lb or 7lb weight for age to Thomas Hobson in a small field and finishing 2nd to him on a bob Of heads.
    Big field will help, if this race works out for him it could be the launchpad for a Champion Hurdle campaign.

Azzuri - his romp to victory in a Listed 2M Handicap Chase by 9 lengths after a wind-op was frighteningly good. Raised from 132 to 144 over fences seems a minimum on that win.
    Not sure 2m6&1/2 of the Plate suits him as much as 2M, so my preference would be this race over 2 miles off an Irish Hurdle rating of 137(139 in UK). If he finds the big improvement he did over fences after the wind-op on his 2nd start then he could be a real blot on the handicap. I will back him if he runs here, and most probably I would back him if he ran in the Plate, trusting the trainer to get the target right.

Be interested in the forums thoughts on the entries for these races.
    Last edited by Saxon Warrior; 22 July 2019, 03:18 PM.
    "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Hurdle

Happy with Shanning's mark although she also has an entry in the big Saturday handicap. Looks like Quick Grabim and Sole Pretender are the ones for early money.

Comment

Sky still have Band if Outlaws at 12s in their Nat. Hunt specials market for anyone looking to get on at a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by Morley Street View Post
          Sky still have Band if Outlaws at 12s in their Nat. Hunt specials market for anyone looking to get on at a decent price.
          Great spot, cheers!

Comment

Only one 4yo won in the last 30 years but I suspect that not many tried.

Comment

He'll entries in almost everything probably but i think Exchange Rate could have a decent shout in the hurdle. I'd say he'll be primed for it if taking his chance given the owners, has some very decent flat form recently and has course form, albeit a fall as well. I'd forgive him the 3rd as the ground may have not helped over the trip.

Comment

A good point made in the RP today is that it's a good idea to keep an eye on the weather which can vary considerably over the course of the Festival and going changes are as likely as not.
                This is the latest forecast

The latest ground report says good to yielding so who knows where it will be in a week's time.

Comment

Shanning runs on Thursday with Paul T riding.

Comment

I cannot wait for Yorkhill to bolt up.

Gets weight from some of these no hopers!

All in.

Comment

I have gone for Ravenhill and Poker party in the Galway plate this evening.
                      after reading an article on the Racing post website last sunday.

Comment

Got my Galway/Goodwood binge week into healthy profit with BORICE winning the Galway Plate. He was constantly hounded by loose horses and ironically following the jockeys gamble to come to the near side rail into the finishing straight then the remaining loose horse caused problems up the run-in to the other placed horses.

Took 14/1 and made home my main selection for the race and put him into a couple Galway Plate/Hurdle doubles with Banks Of Outlaws (6/1) and Chosen Mate (12/1). So the dream Double lives until tomorrow afternoon.

Fingers will be well and truly crossed at racetime.
                        "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Shanning is in fine form and has a good profile for the race but, to mix a couple of metaphors, it's a lottery and you just hope the pack is dealt in your favour.

Robin De Carlow has never won at a distance below 2m4f but she's probably earned a shot at the novice chase. Hopefully, David will let her go round at her own pace and see what unfolds up the hill.

I won't be there but will be cheering them on from (behind) the sofa. Safe home to both and anything else is a bonus.

Comment

Trends

The Galway Hurdle is an even stronger trends race that the Plate, highlighted by the fact that ALL of the last 15 winners passed ALL of these race trends...

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                              Shanning is in fine form and has a good profile for the race but, to mix a couple of metaphors, it's a lottery and you just hope the pack is dealt in your favour.

Robin De Carlow has never won at a distance below 2m4f but she's probably earned a shot at the novice chase. Hopefully, David will let her go round at her own pace and see what unfolds up the hill.

I won't be there but will be cheering them on from (behind) the sofa. Safe home to both and anything else is a bonus.
                              I'm on the Shanning today... so with that in mind, I wish you the best of luck

Comment

Working...
                              X