Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Top Amateur
    Has to be balanced against the amount of money that Sky have put in the game over the last 15 years with their top quality product. The ECB have used a lot of this in grassroots and youth cricket and this was money that terrestrial channels couldn't/wouldn't cough up.

Before Sky there was virtually no live coverage of overseas tours and cricket tended to take a junior place compared to most other 'senior' sports if they clashed.

Top Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Has to be balanced against the amount of money that Sky have put in the game over the last 15 years with their top quality product. The ECB have used a lot of this in grassroots and youth cricket and this was money that terrestrial channels couldn't/wouldn't cough up.

Before Sky there was virtually no live coverage of overseas tours and cricket tended to take a junior place compared to most other 'senior' sports if they clashed.
    But with all that money participation levels have fallen in all but 2 years since 2005. I play for a community team in it's 10th year and even at 8 a side it gets ever harder to get a team out every week

We are struggling to put teams out every week but I think the problem is across all amateur sport. Kids football/cricket/rugby is well supported but most players have drifted away from sport by the age of 17.

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post

Agree, but the ECB do not spend in a balanced way.
    My ex club were the beneficiaries of one grant just after the 2005 Ashes but the funds were literally thrown at us and we were told to spend before year end with no follow up audit process ensuring the money was spent on facilities applied for.
    Things have changed since but if there's a huge cash windfall after this world cup win it wouldn't surprise me if processes returned to how it used to be.

Cricket, as a sport, requires far more preparation, time resource than any other sport I know, top level (amateur) county league clubs struggle to meet costs of such preparation and with local authorities potless, schools broke and every square inch of green in built up areas being developed on there is no-one new to takes the game up, grass roots investment isn't actually grass roots, it's being given to established clubs.

Show live sport that can be accessed by the majority and your role models are visible for aspiring youngsters, but of course the money helps and will always ensure top level coaching, equipment, facilities, science, psychology etc continue to progress.
    There is no easy answer...

Top Amateur
    I think that the sell off of school playing fields has a lot to do with it. In my youth there was very little sport on live TV - there were only two channels back then - but most boys' schools had a cricket team and there was always a game going in the local park in school holidays. With football there was the occasional international match and the Cup Final shown live but the kids' options were the same as cricket.

Fact is that cricket is more expensive to play than football, taking more time and space, and the professional rewards are much less. Little Jimmy has no incentive to get off the X-Box.

I think we're all agreed on the problem. I'm just opining that terrestrial TV isn't necessarily the solution.