Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

MOM's racing preview - Royal Ascot 2019 - Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM's racing preview - Royal Ascot 2019 - Day 2

Circus Maximus! Who would have predicted that? It really highlights how utterly brilliant Aiden O’Brien is though to get the colt to win a group 1 on the biggest stage just weeks after running half a mile further in the Derby. Incredible feat from an incredible trainer! Betting wise, Phoenix of Spain was beaten as was hoped for. Always good to see the lays beaten. Drifted out from the 2.68 laid at out to 3.3 at the off. Blue Point was an antepost winner and Battaash got in for the reverse forecast. Magic Wand was a placer but asides from that, no luck on the opening card of the week. Onto Wednesday now and hopefully plenty of winners…

2:30 – Queen Mary Stakes (Group 2)
    The absence of long-term antepost favourites Lady Pauline and Chasing Dream is a blow to this contest which now looks wide open. Anna’s Fast and KIMARI (15/2) represent US raider Wesley Ward who has an excellent record with his juvenile fillies at this meeting. I have her antepost at 10/1 each way but feel she’s still a fair price at the time of writing. Godolphin saddles four with DIVINE SPIRIT (11/1) and FINAL SONG (11/2) likely the best of them. The former won well at Windsor in the style of a useful filly (her Timespeed figure was high for a debutant) whereas the latter won on soft ground over course and distance which bodes well for her chances. Theory Of Time was the pick for James Doyle ahead of the selection but has been drifting markedly since the rain began to fall. Final Song showed a liking for the soft ground on her only start with a fine turn of foot and that form has been franked since. Flippa The Strippa and Shadn may be the best of the rest at bigger prices. It’s undoubtedly a tough race to choose from but my main fancy would have beeen Kimari if the ground was faster. Her run at Keeneland was good on the clock and, like most, is full of potential in an intriguing opener where I’m happy to throw three darts.

3:05 - Queen's Vase (Group 2)
    This is a fascinating renewal of this group 2 which last year served as Kew Gardens’ breakthrough moment before going on to win the St Leger. Aiden O’Brien runs four here and two have similar profiles to last year’s winner – Western Australia and NORWAY (10/3). Western Australia won last time at Naas in a listed race but this is much tougher whereas Norway comes here after two promising runs at Chester and then in the Derby. This steep up in trip looks likely to suit and he is the first of my two plays in this race. The second, JALMOUD (NAP at 7/1), is an each way bet to nothing at four places with Skybet. In fact, on the likely ground, I would be very surprised if there are four horses better than him here so he’s each way thievery. He’s full of potential and looked classy last time when winning at Longchamp in a group 2. That win came on soft ground and he finished strongly so this step up in trip will surely suit. I really fancy him to run a big race here and the extra place with Skybet is the way to go. Nate The Great and Eminent Authority may be suited by this stiff test.

3:40 - Prince Of Wales's Stakes (Group 1)
    Assuming that all of the trainer’s allow theirs to run here today (I’m looking at you here William Haggas), this looks to be the race of the week. Magical vs SEA OF CLASS (4/1) vs Crystal Ocean vs Waldgeist. Enable asides, it doesn’t get much better than that for European older middle-distance racing. Let’s start with Magical… she’s probably the one to beat. She’s race-fit after three wins from three this season; she’s got classy form here at Ascot based on her win in the Fillies’ and Mares’ last season; and she is trained by the master Aiden O’Brien with this a long-term target. There aren’t many things to knock her with other than price. She’s 13/8 for beating Flag Of Honour twice this season – albeit easily. For that reason, I just have to take her on. My selection at the time of writing (12:04pm for anyone wondering) isn’t even confirmed to run but is the William Haggas trained Sea Of Class. She was brilliant last season with her flying finishes and picked up and Irish Oaks among her haul. She was desperately unlucky in the Arc to go down a nose to Enable despite a troublesome passage and that is her main target this year. Assuming Haggas lets her take her chance on the softened ground today, I still think she may have the talent to win. If she doesn’t run, I’d be having a late bet at around 7/2 (I would expect) on Crystal Ocean who has run well here previously and has looked better than ever this season in his two early warm-up races. He’s deserving of a group 1 so goes here rather than the Hardwicke which would’ve been a penalty kick for him on Saturday. Waldgeist has bundles of talent and is a massive danger at his best but seems to run his worst races when asked to travel abroad and that nagging doubt is enough to steer clear of him. Zabeel Prince won a group 1 last time and is in the form of his life whilst the other three need huge improvement to figure in a race to saviour.

4:20 - Duke Of Cambridge Stakes (Group 2)
    This fillies’ group 2 really doesn’t look like a betting proposition but the one I have fallen on is PRETTY BABY (11/1) who looked very game when holding on last time. The step up in mile will be fine and she may hold them all off the front. She’s susceptible to something classier getting up late such as likely favourite I Can Fly but is a good each way bet with four places on offer. It’s not a race that hugely excites me but I think the smartest gable in the race is to go with the rock solid each way bet rather than the unreliable but classy favourite and so Pretty Baby gets the tentative nod. Agretera won a handicap at this meeting last year whereas Rawdaa comes here after giving Lah Ti Dar a fright at York.

5:00 – Royal Hunt Cup (Heritage Handicap)
    The first of the antepost bigger bets is upon us. Cards on the table… I’m worried by the rain for NEW GRADUATE (7/1) who was into 4/1 earlier this week. I’m on each way at 10s as I do feel he’s a group horse in a handicap. However, will he cope with soft ground? His latest run at Ripon is very smart form with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th all winning decent races after and he beat them eased down by five lengths. He’s up 15lbs for that but that may not stop him if he’s as good as I think he is. The ground is the only worry. My other antepst bet on the race (albeit smaller) was RAISING SANDS (7/1) at 14/1 which looks nice now in hindsight. The straight mile at Ascot suits and the rain is perfect for him. He ought to go very close. Chief Ironside was an eyecatcher at Epsom when third in a group 3 on Derby Day. Mordin gets his ground but may lack the class to win outright but should give a good account of himself whilst Robin of Navan is a previous group 1 winner which is remarkable for a horse back in a handicap.

5:35 – Windsor Castle Stakes (Listed)
    A nightmare final race for punters closes the show on day two with Temple of Heaven one of many who are unbeaten and could be anything. Things didn’t go swimmingly last time for him with a troubled run as well as the horse losing a shoe so it was a gutsy effort to win. Platinum Star was beaten by subsequent Woodcote winner Pinatubo before winning well at Leicester and may be above average. Summer Sands ran well in a race at York earlier this season that many believe was the best race of the season for two year olds so far. Karak and Foolish Humor shouldn’t be ignored for American raider Wesley Ward but the rain dents their hopes somewhat. On the likely soft ground, the surprise vote goes for IFFRAAZ (14/1) who won well on heavy ground at Carlisle and Frankie Dettori takes the mount. If they go too fast early on, as is likely with the two American horses in the field, it will take a horse who is strong in the conditions to last home and Iffraaz could be the one.

Day 2 bets:
    2:30 – Kimari (10/1 each way antepost), Final Song (11/2) & Divine Spirit (10/1 each way)
    3:05 – Jalmoud (NAP at 13/2 each way 4-places Skybet) & Norway (10/3)
    3:40 – Sea Of Class (antepost at 4.6)
    4:20 – Pretty Baby (11/1 each way 4-places)
    5:00 – New Graduate (10/1 each way antepost) & Raising Sands (14/1 each way antepost)
    5:35 – Iffraaz (14/1 each way)

Very enjoyable read again MoM, best of luck as I’ve got a few of your selections

Comment

Yes , great preview again M.o.M , I did Jalmoud, pretty baby and Iffraz + 1 in a L.15 .
      , so you can blame me for those !.

Comment

Working...
      X