Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

MOM's racing preview - Royal Ascot 2019 - Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM's racing preview - Royal Ascot 2019 - Day 1

Here we go again! I am back. Another big meeting, another preview to get stuck into and another chance for plenty of winners. With five days of high quality racing, hopes are high for a great week of punting - starting with a fantastic Tuesday card with three tasty group ones on the menu.

2:30 – Queen Anne Stakes (Group 1)
    The extravaganza kicks off in style with a group one for older horses on the straight mile with the look of a wide-open contest. As is often the case, the Lockinge at Newbury has acted as a decent trial for this with plenty of the field again reappearing here. Mustashry was the winner that day for Sir Michael Stoute and a similar performance would be a tough act to beat. However, a repeat of his clear career-best is not guaranteed here and is surely a favourite worth taking on. BARNEY ROY (6/1) was narrowly beaten on his return to racing after proving infertile at stud but showed a good turn of foot to win at Longchamp last month. If he’s back to the form that made him a St James’ Palace winner two years ago at this meeting, he would undoubtedly be the one to beat. He’s taken to have retained enough class to win this weak-looking renewal and start the week on a high for Godolphin. Le Brivido comes here after being well-supported for this antepost after a promising run in the aforementioned Lockinge and has high-class course form. LAURENS (6/1) finished a good second that day and she will be spot-on for this. She’s worth a bet at a very fair 6/1 and I have taken two to go against the field. Last year’s winner Accidental Agent goes for the double but will need luck in running whilst Lord Glitters ran flat at Newbury. Hazapour is two for two at this trip and is a lively contender to a fascinating start to Royal Ascot 2019.

3:05 – Coventry Stakes (Group 2)
    Monoski looked imperious when winning easily at Pontefract and is a threat to all in this typically competitive renewal of the Coventry Stakes. Arizona heads the market for Aiden O’Brien after routing his rivals at the Curragh on his second start. He cost 260,000 Euros as a yearling and looked like a smart prospect on his latest start. If finding more improvement, he would be hard to beat but a chance is taken on THREAT (3/1) being above average. He’s clearly highly though of with Richard Hannon and if overcoming his inexperience, he surely goes close. Coase is another well thought of in his yard (Hugo Palmer) and his win last time at Carlisle has been franked. Guildsman looked good at Ascot but the ground was soft that day and this is a different kettle of fish. Makyon is one who looks hugely overpriced and has each way claims at 33/1.

3:40 – King’s Stand Stakes (Group 1)
    An absolute belter of a sprint to saviour now as the 1-2-3 from last year go head to head in a rematch to be the fastest sprinter in European racing. Either winning would be a fine result for me antepost but the nod on the day goes to BATTAASH (9/4) who is undoubtedly the best on his day. His temperament can be questioned and he has boiled over here previously. If handling the preliminaries, expect him to shorten dramatically before the race starts. He was second last year but was taken on for the lead early on and if settling better here, can get the revenge a horse of hi nature deserves. He is definitely a horse deserving of winning this huge prize as his talent is unquestionable. He did look at his brilliant best in his warm-up for this at Haydock in the Temple Stakes and is the one to beat. Blue Point bids to defend his crown and has had a productive winter in Dubai with a hat-trick of wins – the latter being a Group 1. If Battaash cannot settle early, Blue Point will look to pounce late and the stiff finish at the track will play to his strength of being able to stay further. Mabs Cross was third last year and the admirable filly never runs a bad race. She’s improved incredibly in the last year and a half but may lack the class of the big two. She could be the bet in the ‘without the big two’ market if that takes your fancy but will flash home late so might need luck in running. Imprimis goes for America and the international expert on At The Races reckons he’s the one for forecasts and tricasts with the big two and is a big fan of his. I have had a small play on this angle (forecasts and tricasts with Battash and Blue Point) as I was impressed in his win last time despite going wide as well as missing the break a fraction. He could certainly outrun his price. The rest are all held on form but Equilateral has often shaped like he has better to come and could run on for a place if Imprimis disappoints and Mabs Cross doesn’t get the clear passage she will need.

4:20 – St James’ Palace Stakes (Group 1)
    Operation get the favourite (Phoenix of Spain) beaten! I have laid him at 2.6 and anything beating him would be a good result. I think that was far too short and I’m not surprised to see him drift slightly in the recent days. He was flattered by a good draw and a clear run at the Curragh when winning the Irish 2000 Guineas and must back up that clear personal best. I’m happy to take him on. King Of Comedy has trod the path of last year’s winner of this Without Parole with a minor win followed up in the Heron Stakes at Sandown. He will need to improve on those runs but has plenty of scope to do so and could be a danger. Shaman was a good second to Persian King in the French 2000 Guineas and looks classy but connections would’ve wanted rain for him. The vote instead goes for last year’s champion two year old TOO DARN HOT (9/4). John Gosden believes he should never have run in the Dante at York when second. He then came out quickly after and followed up that effort just 9 days later in the Irish 2000 Guineas. He was slightly unfortunate in running that day but wouldn’t have beat Phoenix of Spain anyway as the winner had gone. However, Too Darn Hot is expected to be back to his brilliant best here and if so, would win. He proved himself better than Phoenix of Spain last year and as long as he hasn’t plateaued, can reverse that form from The Curragh.

5:00 – Ascot Stakes (Handicap)
    A change in tempo now as we go from the fast and the furious to a staying handicap. Willie Mullins has a great record in this race and relies solely on Buildmeupbuttercup who won two bumpers and a maiden hurdle so has some ability. However, she’s only that price as it’s a Ryan Moore ridden Willie Mullins horse. I’m happy to take her on at the head of the market. Fun Mac was second in this four years ago and warmed up for the race in a mud bath renewal of the Chester Cup in diabolical conditions when fifth. Coeur De Lion was ahead of him that day but he’s one who relishes the softer ground and connections will be disappointed the ground has dried out. Ulster is unexposed whilst Kerosin is an admirable sort but the nod goes to MENGLI KHAN (7/1). Gigginstown have few runners at Royal Ascot so this entry was more than suprising. He was an excellent novice hurdler in 2018 and set a good standard as a novice chaser this year too. He looked useful on the flat before his move to Ireland for jumping purposes and could be a huge price. If settling into a rhythm, he could really shorten in running and may be classy enough to win for Gordon Elliott. Batts Rock deserves a mention as a lively each way contender.

5:35 – Wolferton Stakes (Listed)
    MAGIC WAND (NAP at 5/1) ran her best race last season at this meeting and seemed to relish the faster surface that day. Things didn’t go to plan after but back at Ascot on good ground, I think she is a cracking bet at 5/1 to win this. It may be a listed contest but only in name as this is a good renewal with 2018 Irish Derby hero Latrobe in the field. Addeybb would have gone very well but prefers softer ground whilst Elaqam still has questions to answer on consistency. Riven Light is talented and deserves a crack at this whilst First Nation often shapes well. Mountain Angel done me a nice turn at Epsom last month but seems to run his bets races at that track and this is a tough ask up in class.

Day 1 bets:
    2:30 – Barney Roy (6/1) and Laurens (6/1)
    3:05 – Threat (3/1)
    3:40 – Battaash (antepost) and Blue Point (antepost) and forecasts and tricasts with Imprimis
    4:20 – LAY – Phoenix of Spain (2.6) and win bet Too Darn Hot (9/4)
    5:00 – Mengli Khan (6/1 each way 6 places)
    5:35 – Magic Wand (NAP at 5/1)

An addition to this, i tweeted it from the account @georgiemaydell and any retweets would be appreciated.

I’m attempting to get a little bit of exposure for them. 4 years of writing them and still no job at At The Races

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
      An addition to this, i tweeted it from the account @georgiemaydell and any retweets would be appreciated.

I’m attempting to get a little bit of exposure for them. 4 years of writing them and still no job at At The Races
      Good write up MoM. I'll give you a retweet.

Best of luck this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post

Sorry M.o.M , I can't retweet , But as always . A great write up.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          Good write up MoM. I'll give you a retweet.

Best of luck this week.
          Thanks Faugheen - appreciate that. Followed you

Comment

Working...
          X