Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gigginstown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigginstown

Scaling back operations over the next few years. Not going to be buying anymore young p2p horse, store horses etc etc. Will be huge ramifications for Irish racing and NH racing in general

Very bad news for Irish racing given the investment they put in. Hopefully they won't completely wind up though it's hard to tell from their statement.

Comment

IMO
      It’s good news
      Most of the time they’ve been nob Ed’s
      And the horses will continue to be bred
      And the better ones will get bought by other owners.
      Possibly cheaper too.
      Just not be as easy a sale for the breeding community

Comment

I am probably more on Quevega's side of this - the big handicap chases were just getting dominated by them. Diminishing marginal returns must have kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
          IMO
          It’s good news
          Most of the time they’ve been nob Ed’s
          And the horses will continue to be bred
          And the better ones will get bought by other owners.
          Possibly cheaper too.
          Just not be as easy a sale for the breeding community
          The horses will still be bred but may not stay over in Ireland ... I think it's very hard to say it's anything but negative for Irish racing.

Ultimately I like GB and Irish racing and consider them the same thing so I'm not bothered as long as they don't all end up in France.

The colours don't bother me, but again, it's not awful for racing ... it's just not great for Irish racing.

Comment

I thought for all their fire power they were disappointing this season, it was quantity over quality and some races were over subscribed with Gigginstown Horses and very hard to judge. I think it will be a temporary loss for racing but new owners will fill the void. I just hope Willie Mullins doesn’t completely run riot and take over, variety and genuine competition is essential

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              The horses will still be bred but may not stay over in Ireland ... I think it's very hard to say it's anything but negative for Irish racing.

Ultimately I like GB and Irish racing and consider them the same thing so I'm not bothered as long as they don't all end up in France.

The colours don't bother me, but again, it's not awful for racing ... it's just not great for Irish racing.
              Chances are more will end up in England yes. However, quite a few owners will also consider the stables left open at Elliot's yard and use him. Irish racing has better prize money. There are already a lot of English owners there, but as WPM has proven since the Giggy fallout, there's plenty of owners willing to pay the bills even if Giggy aren't.

It's worth noting Giggy haven't won an open G1 with Gordon Elliot with any horse bar those moved on from Mullins. Yes they have superb firepower, but it hasn't quite translated to G1 (open) results recently.

Comment

I'm not sure about more coming to England - tbh I'm very negative about the prospects of jumps racing carrying on in the UK inside of the next decade tbh

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
                  I'm not sure about more coming to England - tbh I'm very negative about the prospects of jumps racing carrying on in the UK inside of the next decade tbh
                  Type of thing a Jehovah’s Witness would say.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                    Type of thing a Jehovah’s Witness would say.

Comment

Working...
                    X