Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is little Percy doing, Scooby?

Comment

• Originally posted by TimRiggins View Post
      How is little Percy doing, Scooby?

Haha. Very well, apart from him just waking me up crying,
      he must have just watched the albert Bartlett and martin pipe.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Watched this back - Real Steel ran a cracker from way off the pace, came round the bottom bend looking like the winner then faded up the hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by chunker86 View Post
          Watched this back - Real Steel ran a cracker from way off the pace, came round the bottom bend looking like the winner then faded up the hill.
          ...Mark Howard highlighted Real Steel’s performance in his Sporting Life column and suggested it for the King George. 33-1 available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post
            ...Mark Howard highlighted Real Steel’s performance in his Sporting Life column and suggested it for the King George. 33-1 available.
            Nah, that's Kemboy's.

Comment

• Originally posted by archie View Post
              Nah, that's Kemboy's.
              ...now, that would be interesting. The track will suit. Wondered about next years Grand National for Kemboy.
              Last edited by Eggs; 17 March 2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• First time I’ve watched the whole race back, it’s incredible that 3 out every horse was still in with a shout (bar Elegant Escape)

As they go round the turn Al Boum Photo and Santini who had never been far apart had moved through to the lead and Lostintranslation had a superb ride from Robbie Power to that point. As they swing the corner though Real Steel looks like he’s going to win a Gold Cup. It’s so strange to watch! He goes out like a light after 2 out though and none of ‘the closers’ that looked like they’d get there, got there: including Presenting Percy who fell, Delta Work, Clan Des Obeaux and Kemboy. I’d struggle to see me backing any of them at Cheltenham again now. Maybe Percy over hurdles actually just to annoy people.

Monalee has run a belting race actually, beaten less than 2L. He stayed on loads better than I thought he had. He got a poor ride (bit unfair perhaps) but he makes a little mistake then loses his position around the bend to Santini and Al Boum Photo…. If he held that position on the rail, who knows where he could have been… certainly not beaten far enough to dismiss him completely! I did read a few times he’ll “surely come back in trip” but no way I would after that. I’d run him and Minella Indo and just see how it goes! If he wasn’t 10 next year I’d have chanced 50/1 but realistically his chance has probably gone at the big one!

I can’t decide whether Santini was unlucky, got a bad ride, or has lost the race by getting out paced at a key stage. I have little doubt he’s ‘stayed on’ best, but really he shouldn’t get getting outpaced 3 miles in… Real Steel gets level with him at one stage and ABP has moved past him, only to be gaining again at the line. Would softer ground have made a difference? Who know’s and essentially he’s gone down to a dual Gold Cup winner so it’s a very, very good run anyway. The bookies have priced them at 6/1 and 7/1 so no real advantage to fancying on over the other at this point. I hope we get to see a re-match.

ABP going for a third, Santini out for redemption. New kids on the block from the RSA, Champ and Minella Indo, a potential returning star in Topofthegame. Maybe even Samcro gets in the mix and ends up where we ALL thought he would be a few years ago before they tried to win a 2 mile stick race.

Gold Cup always looks amazing this far out though doesn’t it!

Comment

• I can’t fully rule Delta Work out, will still only be 8 next year and he never jumped m, losing ground at every fence.

Maroon tinted glass admittedly

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                    I can’t fully rule Delta Work out, will still only be 8 next year and he never jumped m, losing ground at every fence.

Yeah I'd definately take Delta Work out of this. Made so many errors he did well to finish where he did. A bit of improvement and a better round of jumping he could go close. Best price at the moment for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                      I can’t fully rule Delta Work out, will still only be 8 next year and he never jumped m, losing ground at every fence.

Originally posted by SamuelP View Post
                      Yeah I'd definately take Delta Work out of this. Made so many errors he did well to finish where he did. A bit of improvement and a better round of jumping he could go close. Best price at the moment for me.
                      Interesting chaps. At 25/1 I suppose to say I can't see myself backing him again at Cheltenham might be a step too far, I can 'see it' if I was making a book.

Not that many horses win it on their second attempt do they (I think Native River broke that very long standing trend though).

Making a lot of jumping errors isn't ideal. Not the first time he's put in a poor round of jumping, has to be a concern. Losing ground at every fence, has to be a fear of him doing that again? Perhaps Jack Kennedy back on board would do the trick.

I don't think Delta Work will be winning a Gold Cup, but I wouldn't lay you 20/1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Interesting chaps. At 25/1 I suppose to say I can't see myself backing him again at Cheltenham might be a step too far, I can 'see it' if I was making a book.

Not that many horses win it on their second attempt do they (I think Native River broke that very long standing trend though).

Making a lot of jumping errors isn't ideal. Not the first time he's put in a poor round of jumping, has to be a concern. Losing ground at every fence, has to be a fear of him doing that again? Perhaps Jack Kennedy back on board would do the trick.

I don't think Delta Work will be winning a Gold Cup, but I wouldn't lay you 20/1.
                        Yeah it's one of them, I don't overly prefer the horse's chances over others but I prefer the price. I do like 2 out of the RSA in Champ and Minella Indo, and am interested to see Topofthegame back. Al Boum will be a tough nut to crack though. Don't think Santini has the tactical pace for it, but not saying he cant win it, just prefer others especially considering price.
                        Have enjoyed reading these reviews, thanks.

Comment

• Like you Kev, I have watched all of the races again (a few times now!). I personally came to the conclusion thst the quality of the performances and winners (possibly with the exception of the QMCC) was overall better than we have seen for a few years. On this basis I reckon we will see more winners and placed horses than average from 2020 back in the winners enclosure again in 2021.

As for the Gold Cup, my immediate post festival thoughts were that Santini really should have won this race but as you have mentioned it was an untypical race insofar as so many of the runners were still in with a chance at 2 out. Usually a group of 3 or 4 have gone well clear by this stage and the front runners stretch the pace a bit more next year then I doubt Santini will stay with it.

For me the most likely winners of the well fancied group are Champ, Minella Indo and Samcro. Of the outsiders Melon appeals most, along with Vinndication based on Kim Bailey's bullish comments. If I was forced to pick the winner now, then I would have to go with Champ on the conviction that Henrietta Knight will improve his jumping and that the story was meant to be, it was always supposed to lead to the Gold Cup for JP and AP.

Comment

• A couple of well know race "experts" have covered the pace element of the race, but until you watch the Foxhunters side by side you probably don't appreciate how steadily they go. The first circuit really was modest and not until the 17th(2nd open ditch) on the 2nd circuit does the pace start to finally enter race territory and prob explains why you can throw a blanket over the field at before 3 out. Shows Al Boums versatility in a very good light winning two gold cups with two totally different set ups the first off a very strong pace and this quickening well off a modest pace. Ifs and buts but if Native River had been in this field i doubt Real Steel and a few would of been in the positions they were 3 out but that is another story.

Comment

Working...
                            X