Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Top 5 Sporting Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quevega View Post
    Forgot Michael Owen goal vs Argentina 1998, nearly went through window. 3rd floor,
    I'm reading this post before I've read the one above ..... but absoluuuutely love this one. That moment is definitely a contender. God I remember that so vividly.

Comment

comebacks
      moments
      achievements
      against the odds

i'd class near as top ten or maybe top 5 , that applies to all the above.

Tiger's win wouldn't be in my top ten of any of those categories.

aside from horseracing moments.

My top 5 would all be football based.

Platt's goal in 1990 World Cup.
      Gazza'a goal in 1996 Euro's.
      Pearce's penalty against Spain in 1996 Euro's.
      Liverpool come back vs Milan 2005 (proper long moment that)
      England 5 Germany 1 (another long moment)
      And Colombia penalty win last year.

I'll give you another five that are not as personal but got my attention.

Redgrave's fifth Gold medal.
      Murray winning wimbledon for first time.
      Brathwaite 4 consecutive sixes in final over of 20/20 world cup vs England.
      Mcgregor 13 second knockout of Jose Aldo
      Wilkinson's drop goal.

PS,
      resorting to punctuation as a comeback is surely the last resort.
      I held back every time I was chatting with Scooby, even though his spelling of dosent and deffinately - did my head in.
      Haha, absolutely a last resort.

On to the meat of it.

I've gone so lukewarm on football that I block plenty of it out... but at the time I remember thinking England 5 - 1 Germany was the best day of my life (I was 12 or 13 then)
      Gazza lobbing it over Hendry's flowing locks was funny, that's just about the only thing I remember from Euro 96 (and the penalty miss obviously).

Murray winning Wimbledon was fantastic. One of my favourite sports people becuase he doesn't pander to crap questions. He just wants to play tennis, he doesn't want to talk to Sue Barker about what he had for breakfast. No nonsense, and aware of his own short comings but shouldn't be ridiculed for not wanting to be an attention seeking twat like I would be if I was a famous sports person.

The Undertaker's Wretlemania entrance? (Properly exposing age group)

Comment

I can't have all these footy ones pass without any mention of Michael Thomas' goal in the last minute at Anfield to win Arsenal the league on goals scored (goal difference was also the same as Liverpool) in 1989. Far bigger an achievement than Aguerooooooo, although I am an Arsenal fan.

In terms of overall achievement agree with Q, odds speak for themselves Leicetser winning the Premier League

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
          I can't have all these footy ones pass without any mention of Michael Thomas' goal in the last minute at Anfield to win Arsenal the league on goals scored (goal difference was also the same as Liverpool) in 1989. Far bigger an achievement than Aguerooooooo, although I am an Arsenal fan.

In terms of overall achievement agree with Q, odds speak for themselves Leicetser winning the Premier League
          The Arsenal one hurt me a lot as a boyhood Liverpool fan, but I think you're right as a football moment it should rank above Aguero for sure.
          Probably coming just weeks after Hillsborough hasn't helped the moment last as much as it deserves for anyone outside North London.

Comment

Dessie's Gold Cup Cheltenham 1989
            Sam Torrence's Putt The Belfry 1985
            Nacho Novo's Penalty Florence 2008
            Scott McDonald's Goal Motherwell 2005
            Soba's Stewards Cup Goodwood 1982

Most won't mean a thing to the vast majority but these 5 resulted in the 5 worst hangovers of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post

i was in a Glasgow pub for the Liverpool v Arsenal game. With it being a Friday night the pub was packed and most folk didn't really have a horse in the race. By the end the atmosphere in the pub was tremendous, what a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                It definitely counts but is just pipped to the top 5.

I once ate 10 mcdonalds cheeseburgers within 30 minutes which is (probably) harder than it sounds
                I won an Onion Bhaji eating competition , The 2nd place ate 18 , I ate 39 , Size of a small dinner plate they were !!.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                  I won an Onion Bhaji eating competition , The 2nd place ate 18 , I ate 39 , Size of a small dinner plate they were !!.
                  were you allowed to dip in mint yoghurt sauce ?

Love a bhaji me.

expect I'd have been second though. 39 is serious business.

Comment

were you allowed to dip in mint yoghurt sauce ?

Love a bhaji me.

expect I'd have been second though. 39 is serious business.
                    Yes !! , Definitely with Minty Yoghurt !, That was in my Heyday , Reckon i could still put away a dozen now,
                    But they don't make them as big any more .,

Comment

O.K .. so - In No particular order ,.
                      London Olympics super saturday. - 2012.
                      England Rugby world cup win - 2003.
                      Botham's Ashes - 1981.
                      Kauto Star's last king George win - 2011.
                      Michael Owen Hatrick and England beating Germany 5-1 - 2001.

Comment

Does Gazza not feature for any of my English friends

the tears
                        goal v Scotland ?

Comment

Working...
                        X