Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Top 5 Sporting Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Sporting Moments

Off topic discussion

What are the top 5 sporting moments you've seen in your lifetime?

In no particular order:

Tiger Wood - Masters (2019)
    Usain Bolt - 3rd 100 metres Gold Medal
    Frankel - 2000 Guineas
    Roger Federer - Wimbledon (2017)
    Tiger Roll - 2nd Grand National (2019)

I have had the 2005 Ashes Series and the Johnny Wilkinson drop goal to win the Rugby World Cup pretty high.
    Also the Zidane headbutt in the 2006 WC final is pretty memorable.

Subject to change

Also in no particular order:

Faugheen's Champion Hurdle
    Tiger Woods Masters win
    England's rugby world cup win
    The miracle in Medinah
    Aguerooooooo

Comment

Sprinters comeback and then winning the QM is one for the mix for me

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        Off topic discussion

What are the top 5 sporting moments you've seen in your lifetime?

In no particular order:

Tiger Wood - Masters (2019)
        Usain Bolt - 3rd 100 metres Gold Medal
        Frankel - 2000 Guineas
        Roger Federer - Wimbledon (2017)
        Tiger Roll - 2nd Grand National (2019)

I have had the 2005 Ashes Series and the Johnny Wilkinson drop goal to win the Rugby World Cup pretty high.
        Also the Zidane headbutt in the 2006 WC final is pretty memorable.

Subject to change
        Bolt is 99.9% a drugcheat, every single one of his jamaican teammates have been caught.
        Why on earth would Jamaica suddenly produce several sprinting champions without state sponsored cheating.

circa - East Germany in 1970's, China in the 80's and 90's and more recently Russia.

If Bolt was caught they would have to close down the lot. So massive cover up is likely involved.

And I'm not normally one of those illuminati/conspiracy types as they're wierdo's.

This just makes more sense than him being clean.

Therefore you should take him off your list.

Comment

In my top 10, I would have to include :

London 2012 Olympics’ ‘Super Saturday’ when in case you had forgotten

British trio Jessica Ennis-Hill, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah all struck gold within just 44 minutes of each other.

For me this was all about, the occasion, the timing and 3 Athletic golds on the world stage at our own Olympics. It doesn't get much better then that.

Comment

I guess it's a weird one because they're so personal as well.

For eg being behind the goal at Wembley when Zamora scored to promote QPR was one of the greatest moments of my life - I reckon it won't wage high on other people's!

Likewise the 2009 Irish Grand Slam, Sexton's 41 phase drop goal vs France, Leinster's Heineken Cup final comeback (22-3 down at half time, won 33-22) or the Munster Miracle Match won't be high on other people's lists.

The Miracle in Medinah was a great one though.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              Also in no particular order:

Faugheen's Champion Hurdle
              Tiger Woods Masters win
              England's rugby world cup win
              The miracle in Medinah
              Aguerooooooo
              Aguero - as a QPR season ticket holder, I had a ticket for that game, but I went out till 3am as it was my birthday. When I woke up I couldn't face going to Manchester with a hangover to watch us get relegated. Got that one wrong!

Comment

A few more that rank highly....

Lions tour win in 1997
                Ashes win in 2005
                Patriots Superbowl win against Atlanta

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                  Bolt is 99.9% a drugcheat, every single one of his jamaican teammates have been caught.
                  Why on earth would Jamaica suddenly produce several sprinting champions without state sponsored cheating.

circa - East Germany in 1970's, China in the 80's and 90's and more recently Russia.

If Bolt was caught they would have to close down the lot. So massive cover up is likely involved.

And I'm not normally one of those illuminati/conspiracy types as they're wierdo's.

This just makes more sense than him being clean.

Therefore you should take him off your list.
                  I would NEVER take Bolt off the list... for the following reasons.

The 100 metres is 'Get from point A to point B from stationary as quickly as you can'.

Every human has therefore got a chance. Over the thousands of years we've been a species, Usain Bolt has done it THE fastest.

Whether he's had performance enhancing drugs and to what extent doesn't concern me. If you argue someone else COULD with that, so be it, beating Bolts record will be a monumental achievement and would then maybe enter my top 5.

The fact he spanned 8 years and stayed health adds to the story and overall achievement.

All that and you're the one who has to prove it, not me. 99.9% is a silly guess... but a guess nonetheless.

Bolt is a legend. The 100m is the absolute pinnacle of human athletisism. Why don't you take some drugs and see if you can beat him?... if you do, you'll make it into the top 5
                  Last edited by Kevloaf; 15 April 2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nortons who View Post
                    In my top 10, I would have to include :

London 2012 Olympics’ ‘Super Saturday’ when in case you had forgotten

British trio Jessica Ennis-Hill, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah all struck gold within just 44 minutes of each other.

For me this was all about, the occasion, the timing and 3 Athletic golds on the world stage at our own Olympics. It doesn't get much better then that.
                    Yeah I can see that... certainly only really means anything if you're British but that's the same as things like the Ashes and Miracle in Medina

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      I would NEVER take Bolt off the list... for the following reasons.

The 100 metres is 'Get from point A to point B from stationary as quickly as you can'.

Every human has therefore got a chance. Over the thousands of years we've been a species, Usain Bolt has done it THE fastest.

Whether he's had performance enhancing drugs and to what extent doesn't concern me. If you argue someone else COULD with that, so be it, beating Bolts record will be a monumental achievement and would then maybe enter my top 5.

The fact he spanned 8 years and stayed health adds to the story and overall achievement.

All that and you're the one who has to prove it, not me. 99.9% is a silly guess... but a guess nonetheless.

Bolt is a legend. The 100m is the absolute pinnacle of human athletisism. Why don't you take some drugs and see if you can beat him?... if you do, you'll make it into the top 5
                      I can eat a family size bag of opal fruits in less than two minutes.

Does that count ?

I've tried running fast after eating them but can't run in a straight line or without talking.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                        I can eat a family size bag of opal fruits in less than two minutes.

Does that count ?

I've tried running fast after eating them but can't run in a straight line or without talking.
                        It definitely counts but is just pipped to the top 5.

I once ate 10 mcdonalds cheeseburgers within 30 minutes which is (probably) harder than it sounds

Comment

In no order

Ben Johnson's 100m

Ali Foreman

1951 AIF

Last edited by mayo; 15 April 2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Sprinter Sacres comeback season - particularly the champion chase. Can’t watch that race without welling up. What a horse. What a moment.

Miracle in Medinah - Ryder Cup. Incredible turnaround in an away Ryder cup.

Monty Panesar and Jimmy Anderson blocking out for an hour in Cardiff in the ashes to get the draw.

Comment

In terms of gambling odds
                              The biggest achievements I can recall in sport "against the odds" are as follows

Leicester City - Premier League 2015/16 - 5000-1 - And I personally think the greatest sporting achievement in my lifetime.

John Daly - USPGA 1991 - 1000-1 - was ninth reserve and had never seen the course, and was a fat kid.

England vs Australia 1981 ashes - Botham's ashes, 500-1 and following on 221 runs behind, we all know the rest.

Ivanisovic Wimbledon winner 2001 - 150-1. first wildcard entry to ever win wimbledon and the lowest ranked. His only major title, after 3 previous defeats in finals. won 5 setter in semi final against Henman and then five sets in final against pat rafter.

And finally on a horse racing forum.
                              Dettori 25095-1 7 timer at ascot.

And the greatest comeback ever. Tiger's is no where near.

Nikki Lauda - Almost burnt alive, was read his last rites and was back in the car 6 weeks later (mad bastard) Lost the title by 1 point that season but won it twice after that. Can't even blink I reckon.
                              Don't even like motor racing but his story is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X