Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

MOM's racing preview - Aintree Festival 2019 - Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOM's racing preview - Aintree Festival 2019 - Day 1

After the highs and lows of Cheltenham, we barely have time to catch our breath before soaring into the Grand National meeting for 2019. The famous steeplechase on Saturday is accompanied by three days of top class racing – starting with Thursday’s top class card.

1:45 - Devenish Manifesto Novices' Chase (Grade 1)
    The meeting kicks off in style with a grade 1 over 2m 4f for novice chasers. Glen Rocco unseated at Cheltenham when fancied for a below-par Arkle. He was progressive before that and had beaten Kalashnikov easily with that rival reopposing today. The Supreme Novices Hurdle winner will relish this step up in trip and should go well. Mengli Khan ran his consistent race as usual at Cheltenham over this distance in the JLT but this is tougher. The star name in the field is undoubtedly LA BAGUE AU ROI (7/4 - NAP) who beat a super field in the Kauto Star Novice Chase on Boxing Day with RSA Chase winner and runner-up Topofthegame and Santini finishing behind her that day. She’s unbeaten over fences and is fresh for this after skipping Cheltenham. I make her the best bet of the day – if not the week.

2:20 - Doom Bar Anniversary 4-Y-O Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 1)
    Pentland Hills won a marred renewal of the Triumph Hurdle and is two from two in this discipline since his switch from the flat. He stayed strongly up the hill at Cheltenham to win that day but this likely quicker surface may not suit. BAND OF OUTLAWS (15/8) ran in the handicap for juveniles at Cheltenham and showed a super turn of foot to win in the style of a very good horse. He picked up extremely well that day and had been hampered turning in too. He represents a strong hand here for Joseph O’Brien who also runs Fakir D’Oudaries who was fifth in the Supreme Novices Hurdle on testing ground. He had previously won well at Cheltenham and should go well. Fanfan De Seuill and Adjali are best of the rest in a good renewal of this contest.

2:50 - Betway Bowl Chase (Grade 1)
    The ground perhaps went against King George hero CLAN DES OBEUAX (5/2) in the Gold Cup with his trainer stating afterwards he knew his charge wouldn’t stay 3m 2f with a stiff finish. This three mile contest on a flat track should suit much more and he is taken to win here. Kemboy fell at the first in the Gold Cup after looking like an improver when winning previously and is still relatively fresh. Bristol De Mai finished ahead of the selection in this last year but seems best fresh and the quick turnaround might not be quite to his liking. Road To Respect ran a solid race in the Ryanair but is yet to win this season and may be best watched. Elegant Escape will surely lack the pace for this and Balko Des Flos is struggling to find the same form that saw him win the 2018 renewals of the Galway Plate and Ryanair chase.

3:25 - Betway Aintree Hurdle (Grade 1)
    BUVEUR D’AIR (10/11) fell when attempting his third Champion Hurdle but had looked seriously impressive at times this season. His win over Samcro wasn’t franked but was excellent to the eye before he was undercooked when beaten on Boxing Day. He bounced back to win before that aforementioned fall at Cheltenham. Up in trip here, I expect him to win. Faugheen travelled well in the Stayers before perhaps tiring late to finish third whilst Melon ran his best race this season to finish second in the Champion Hurdle for the second year running. Supasundae was disappointing last time whilst Summerville Boy is clearly talented but has questions to answer. He may need the run here after an injury. Verdana Blue rates the main danger as she gets her ground and was the mare to beat the favourite on Boxing Day. Whilst she beat him then, he will be fitter for this according to the trainer and can reverse that form.

4:05 - Randox Health Foxhunters' Open Hunters' Chase (National Course)
    ROAD TO ROME (7/2) travelled like a monster through the first three miles in the Foxhunters at Cheltenham before struggling up the hill. He went hard off the front that day and gave the strong impression that a step back in trip will suit. The money for him today (Wednesday) suggests he’s well fancied and I just can’t ignore him. Krushlinin, Ucello Conti, Wonderful Charm and Road to Riches are all past their best but capable whilst Mr Mix is consistent but quirky. My second selection is BURNING AMBITION (11/2) who I was all over for Cheltenham’s Foxhunters in 2018 but he patently failed to stay up the hill. This race looks sure to suit and I’m confident my two darts at this will go close.

4:40 - Close Brothers Red Rum Handicap Chase (Grade 3)
    Eamon An Cnoic has been backed for this like he’s the proverbial good thing and the confidence suggests a huge run is expected. He will relish this ground and comes here after travelling well for a long way at Cheltenham in the Plate. Theinval is another who will likely get his ground but may find one or two too good as is often the way with him. Brelan D’As and Forest Bihan step up in trip from the Grand Annual and both are likeable sorts who will run their race. The nod instead goes to one of my favourite horses in training – LADY BUTTONS (8/1). Alan Kirby’s charge comes into this after a good run in the Mares Hurdle and the larger obstacles will suit her as she’s a strong jumper. Her mark of 149 is more than fair and she may be slightly too good for these.

5:15 - Goffs UK Nickel Coin Mares' Standard Open NH Flat Race (Grade 2) (NH MOPS Bonus Race)
    I’ve heard good things about DAYLIGHT KATIE (12/1) for this concluding Mares Bumper. She hasn’t shown too much but is said to have improved recently and has been aimed at this after winning last time out with her connections unsure as to how good she actually is. At 12/1, it’s certainly worth a punt to find out! The Glancing Queen ran a good race in the Champion Bumper for fifth and has the form to run well here back against her own sex. My second bet for the race is the Henry De Bromhead mare MINELLA MELODY (7/2) who won with plenty of ease on her debut with big things hoped for next season with her.

Day 1 bets:
    1:45 - LA BAGUE AU ROI @ 7/4
    2:20 – BAND OF OUTLAWS @ 15/8
    2:50 – CLAN DES OBEUAX @ 5/2
    3:25 – BUVEUR D’AIR @ 10/11
    4:05 – ROAD TO ROME @ 7/2 & BURNING AMBITION @ 11/2
    4:40 - LADY BUTTONS @ 8/1 (each way)
    5:15 – DAYLIGHT KATIE @ 12/1 (each way) & MINELLA MELODY @ 7/2

....cheers MoM, even though you haven’t selected any of mine.

After overnight rain and early morning drizzle, it’s been quite damp and cold here in Liverpool today. The ground is always lush at Aintree and I imagine it will be officially on the soft side tomorrow.

Comment

Great effort MoM, reminds me of the previews Bitchy used to put up a few years ago, great work

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
        Great effort MoM, reminds me of the previews Bitchy used to put up a few years ago, great work
        I was thinking the very same. Still miss racecaller.

Cheers MoM.

Comment

Excellent M.o.M, , And youv'e picked 4 of my selections ..Great effort !.

Comment

Unfortunately Daylight Katie is riden by a certain David Dunsdon so has no chance

Comment

Top preview MoM, I’m keen on Daylight Katie too. I don’t know anything know anything about David Dunsdon, what the issue??

Comment

An enjoyable read MoM - keep them coming

Comment

...dry night in Liverpool, had to get the ice off my car this morning before I went to collect my Racing Post from the newsagents.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    Not too much so I hope since he was lifting them from a paid for service

Good professional write up MOM

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post

Haha - I thought that was the case

Comment

Originally posted by The King Pimm View Post
                        Top preview MoM, I’m keen on Daylight Katie too. I don’t know anything know anything about David Dunsdon, what the issue??
                        He’s an owner who likes to take his own horses out for a spin, time after time I watched him go haring off on Redhotphillypeppers at a ridiculous pace and get her beat against horses she should have been smashing.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that since she knocked up a few wins once he stopped riding her, couldn’t back any horse he is on

Comment

Originally posted by Old Vic View Post

Wow, never crossed my mind....

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                            He’s an owner who likes to take his own horses out for a spin, time after time I watched him go haring off on Redhotphillypeppers at a ridiculous pace and get her beat against horses she should have been smashing.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that since she knocked up a few wins once he stopped riding her, couldn’t back any horse he is on
                            Cheers HF. I had Daylight Katie come through as a tip on Wednesday night from a mate who was in Liverpool drinking with the owners of the horse who were convinced DK was a certainty. I wish I had caught up on the thread before committing money....thankfully he got a place!’

Comment

Working...
                            X