Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Punchestown Booked for Easter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punchestown Booked for Easter

Should be some great racing, we are only going for the final 2 days Fri/Sat but there until Easter Monday....Any Advice !!

Taken me a long time to nip across the Irish Sea, been to Longchamp many times and even Hong Kong but this and Coolmore (Future Visit) are on my list, Steve Mellish told me about the Coolmore set-up and now I must see for myself.

Originally posted by Redbridge View Post
    Should be some great racing, we are only going for the final 2 days Fri/Sat but there until Easter Monday....Any Advice !!

Taken me a long time to nip across the Irish Sea, been to Longchamp many times and even Hong Kong but this and Coolmore (Future Visit) are on my list, Steve Mellish told me about the Coolmore set-up and now I must see for myself.
    Fairyhouse I hope !

Comment

That will be the early May Bank Holiday Monday straight after Punchestown.

Comment

It only dawned on me last night that I have mixed the holidays up, it is the May bank holiday that we go to Punchestown.
        What a silly sausage.........NURSE.

Comment

What sort of advice are you looking for, Redbridge? If it's how to get there and what to do away from racing, that will depend on where you're staying.

Comment

Archie.

We are staying just outside Blessington a place called Ballintober, we aim to do a bit of morning country walking around the lake, I should think we will not be doing much after late start racing on Friday but the rest of the weekend we will be looking to take in a meal after racing nearer where we are staying.
            I will try to get there early on day 1 and find my bearings around the track such as getting from the parade ring as quickly as possible and finding a perch to see the racing.
            My main concern is finding my way from Ballintober to Punchestown because it looks like its all country lanes on the google map and for some reason me and country lanes don't seem to gel, you know, turn right for half a mile and twenty minutes later that half a mile seems more like ten.
            I'll have my iphone GPS but that is another nightmare for me, give me Timeform over AA atlas any day.

Comment

Looks like it's about a 20 minute drive but I'd say people at the place you're staying would be able to advise on directions and places to eat. If you get to Dublin, Ryan's of Parkgate St near Heuston Station is an old pub with good food and a mean pint of Guinness. Temple Bar is over-rated and over-priced.

On course, things seem to change every year but I've always thought that the Reserved Enclosure was worth the extra few euro.

That's just my perspective from the UK. A local might point you in an entirely different direction!

Comment

Yes, we have Reserve enclosure, I always have Prem or Club Cheltenham enclosures, I'm not a drinker as such so maximum course experience is essential to us.
                We all bet off course nowadays and I very rarely bet on the day of racing, so its just a matter of enjoying the racing, but I only just realised its Guineas weekend.

I have been so rapped up in Cheltenham that Aintree does not float my boat because you don't know how animals have come out of the festival so my betting interest now revolves around the York Dante and onwards.

Good Luck and thanks.

Comment

Have a good trip.

Comment

Redbridge

The West wicklow arms is a good pub in Blessington; very friendly and decent food. You should definitely take in the National Stud (Kildare) one morning before racing (and drive by the Curragh on your way). If you're feeling guilty about having a great time and leaving your partner at home then also try the Kildare Village Outlets

Comment

Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
                      Redbridge

The West wicklow arms is a good pub in Blessington; very friendly and decent food. You should definitely take in the National Stud (Kildare) one morning before racing (and drive by the Curragh on your way). If you're feeling guilty about having a great time and leaving your partner at home then also try the Kildare Village Outlets
                      Bayoffreedom.
                      My wife travels everywhere with me (I even took her to the redlight district of Shanghai) she has a bet in every race on the card and loves racing, her parents are both from Dublin and when he found out my two passions he advised his daughter "This is the man for you"
                      We will be looking to visit Coolmore later in the summer combined with the Curragh.
                      Thanks for the heads-up re West Wicklow arms we will give it a whirl.

Comment

Irish Racing Post

Originally posted by archie View Post
                        Have a good trip.

Morning archie.

What is the equivalent of our Racing Post in ireland and is it freely available in Newsagents !!
                        I will not be able to rely on my phone to last throughout the day and so a hard copy will be essential for me.

Been reading back over the past three years Punchestown festival and its a Form Minefield I have noted, I cannot see myself playing unless something really catches my eye.

Redbridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbridge View Post
                          Morning archie.

What is the equivalent of our Racing Post in ireland and is it freely available in Newsagents !!
                          I will not be able to rely on my phone to last throughout the day and so a hard copy will be essential for me.

Been reading back over the past three years Punchestown festival and its a Form Minefield I have noted, I cannot see myself playing unless something really catches my eye.

Redbridge.
                          The Racing Post is published in Ireland and widely available.

I think you can expect Willie and Gordon to dominate (no change there) because they're still full out for the title. They will have horses that missed Cheltenham to be on top form and on a decent mark here. It's well worth going along the bookie lines to find the ones with innovative bets eg without the first two or three favourites in handicaps.

Enjoy.

Comment

archie, thanks for that mate, don't know why it never dawned on me that the RP would be on sale as its on sale in the centre of Paris.

"Handicaps" what are they, never touch them I have enough problems trying to hang onto my money, my wife's the only handicap I have anything to do with now.

Comment

Working...
                            X