Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham 2020 - Forum Yankee - March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    It would be a crazy decision to run Altior in a gold cup at this stage of his career. It ain't happening. No chance.
    No chance?

None?

You can't think of any way it happens?

See post #30

There is 'no chance' he runs in the Ryanair.... that I'd agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Silly thing to say was in reference to you saying you'd give the game up... we know that isn't true

Two facts - You've backed him to win another QMCC, he's being aimed at the King George.

Opinion - If you hadn't backed him already, you wouldn't be defending it so stubbornly that there is a CHANCE he runs in the Gold Cup.

You were equally sure Laurina would run in the Mares race this year?

I see Unibet have clipped Altior in to 16s for the Gold Cup today too (from 20s).

Also, "brutal test"? Do you want to do away with the Gold Cup? Has Altior not looked like a strong stayer? If he wins the King George like a stayer, you're bananas to dismiss the possibility of him going for a Gold Cup.
      Where did the suggestion come to do away with the Gold Cup ?
      That’s confused me.

Personally, I think there’s a world of difference between a flat right handed 3m King George and a Gold Cup, top class stayers do well in both because they’re top class stayers, Alrior has done nothing to suggest he is capable of that double and if he did have that ability I would have expected Nicky Henderson to have considered this at some point earlier in his career.

I can’t see the Laurina analogy, different animals at different stages of their careers.

As for Unibet, they don’t offer a lay option so anyone pressung buttons/picking up the phone is a backer, it’s not in their interests nor is
      it necessary for them to offer huge value, bookmakers rarely do...

Comment

It was the shoe-horning of the word Brutal into describing the Gold Cup. If anything, at 'that stage' of Altior's career, it matters less than ever what it takes out of him?

If Altior won the King George, he's a dual QMCC winner, a King George winner, and could have a shot at immortality winning a Gold Cup. He'd be discussed alongside Kauto Star, and rightly so.

If he wins a 3rd QMCC, he's still going to be seen as a lesser horse than other two mile chaers before him.

The Laurina analogy was just me pointing out that you can be wrong about a target that you are sticking to all the way through

I am not saying I think Altior will run in the Gold Cup... I'm just saying you have dismissed it and at 3/1, you shouldn't have.

Regarding Unibet, if they are 'standout' price... as the bookies representitive, I think it'd be naive to assume it had no relevance... but generally you're right, and at this stage nobody would be in the know anyway.
        Last edited by Kevloaf; 19 March 2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone can say 3/1 is value 360 days out. 3/1 doesn't even cover injury risk, never mind target risk.

He might not stay the GC trip, but you may as well take the KG stepping stone and see how he takes in that. If he's mighty impressive, then you have to try the GC. Don't buy that he would have been targeted at it earlier, that champion chase double was an obvious target.

Comment

Morning, what's everyone ones best yankee/L15 for Cheveley Park, for a bit of fun. Mines a trixie..

Supreme - MALONE ROAD
            Ballymore - ENVOI ALLEN
            Ryanair - A PLUS TARD

I find in really interesting how well they've done so quickly.

Comment

Minella Indo @ 17.00 RSA
              Defi Du Seuil @ 11.00 Ryanair
              Al Boum Photo @ 9.00 GC
              Envoi Allen @ 11.00 Ballymore

Comment

Champ for the JLT would also be of interest.

Comment

Minella Indo for the RSA at 20/1?

Confident going chasing, a better horse than Monalee? Monalee didn't do bad for the same connections...?

1 better in the Albert Bartlett.... can he go 1 better in the RSA chase?

Final Furlong (Blake) very sweet on him and Nick Luck too...

Not a wild price, but 20/1 for the AB winner for the Novice Chase 3m race isn't unfair.... you know for damn sure if he was with Elliott or Mullins he'd be half the price! (I see he's 12s with BFSB and PP so they're ducking him)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    Minella Indo for the RSA at 20/1?

Confident going chasing, a better horse than Monalee? Monalee didn't do bad for the same connections...?

1 better in the Albert Bartlett.... can he go 1 better in the RSA chase?

Final Furlong (Blake) very sweet on him and Nick Luck too...

Not a wild price, but 20/1 for the AB winner for the Novice Chase 3m race isn't unfair.... you know for damn sure if he was with Elliott or Mullins he'd be half the price! (I see he's 12s with BFSB and PP so they're ducking him)
                    I think I’d rather Commander of Fleet to overturn the form. He’s always looked a staying chaser. RSA looks perfectly for the horse

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                      I think I’d rather Commander of Fleet to overturn the form. He’s always looked a staying chaser. RSA looks perfectly for the horse
                      Tbh Next Destination or Carefully Selected appeal far more at the prices to me than COF. Minella Indo did impress massively doing everything he could to give the race away but still winning with plenty in hand, he’ll be a 7yr old next year which is a plus! The extra maturity MI & the Mullins horses have does give them an edge in my eyes.

Topofthegame & Santini were 7yr olds. As was Presenting Percy last year...
                      Last edited by SeanRock; 21 March 2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                        I'd say these comments reflect what you've been told more than what you've seen?

If both were gigginstown would you expect the form to be over turned?

I know you'll dispute that but take a real hard think about it?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
                          Tbh Next Destination or Carefully Selected appeal far more at the prices to me than COF. Minella Indo did impress massively doing everything he could to give the race away but still winning with plenty in hand, he’ll be a 7yr old next year which is a plus! The extra maturity MI & the Mullins horses have does give them an edge in my eyes.

Topofthegame & Santini were 7yr olds. As was Presenting Percy last year...
                          Between them they've had 1 run in over 12 months.

This must be the Mullins factor at work?

Next Destination's form? What bit of that is as good as the winner of an Albert Bartlett.

If we pick a horse for the March yankee with no run in 12 months I'll be leaving the forum.

I like Carefully Selected as you know but that's a poor call this far out
                          Last edited by Kevloaf; 21 March 2019, 11:10 PM.

Comment

You can’t discount Carefully Selected because Willie hasn’t been able to run him all winter (which in itself is a clue to how highly he’s rated). His price will be gone after Punchestown!

I think you’ll change your mind on CS after Punchestown Kev. A lack of runs over hurdles isn’t a negative with a view to the RSA based on recent past! Age, maturity & scope for fences is what I look for first & foremost!
                            Last edited by SeanRock; 21 March 2019, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Blackbow shouldn’t be discounted for equal measure. Willie will have plenty of secret weapons over hurdles next term!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
                                You can’t discount Carefully Selected because Willie hasn’t been able to run him all winter (which in itself is a clue to how highly he’s rated). His price will be gone after Punchestown!

I think you’ll change your mind on CS after Punchestown Kev. A lack of runs over hurdles isn’t a negative with a view to the RSA based on recent past! Age, maturity & scope for fences is what I look for first & foremost!
                                I like carefully selected ... but if he's one of the 4 best bets we can come up with for Cheltenham in 12 months time I'm wasting my time on here.

You know I like him, you know I do, but really think about what you're saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X