Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Post Cheltenham blues ........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
    The quality of the GN festival has improved so much over the last few years I don't really get post Cheltenham blues. In fact I'd go as far as say I don't feel it at all until the old Whitbread has been run. Though that's partly I guess because I have zero interest in flat racing.

The buzz doesn't really return for me until the build up to the Hennessy.
    I find Aintree an absolute minefield to bet on though which is what puts me off it

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
      First day back after last week and the inevitable post Cheltenham blues have hit me, big time. I am sure lots feel the same way.

I find myself at a loss as to what to do, less so because the week has ended, but more so with my time on a day to day basis, which was predominately spent thinking about and planning Cheltenham. Plenty of people on here who invest more time than me will attest to that!

What I have realized in creating this thread is that I love and miss the build up to Cheltenham, almost as much as the week itself. When you look at it from that perspective, we don't have a year to wait at all! Come September/October the season will be underway, the forum will be busy with pre-Cheltenham chatter and the ante post slips will be starting to fly. 5 months will be gone in no time, and we still have Aintree, Punchestown and Fairyhouse to look forward to in the meantime.

See you then

Thank god i'm not alone, I wish my life away from Christmas onwards and spend a few restless nights when it dawns that I'm in more than I should be, but it sure gets my 70 odd year adrenaline flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
        The quality of the GN festival has improved so much over the last few years I don't really get post Cheltenham blues. In fact I'd go as far as say I don't feel it at all until the old Whitbread has been run. Though that's partly I guess because I have zero interest in flat racing.

The buzz doesn't really return for me until the build up to the Hennessy.
        Totally agree, day 1 of Aintree is comparable with Cheltenham, apart from the mares bumper - which I'm not a fan of.

Comment

I can’t remember much about previous Aintree Festivals but I was surprised and disappointed at how small the fields were at last year’s, it meant there was very little competition and value. Was it a bad year last year after a month of heavy racing conditions or is Aintree normally made up of small field races??

It’s weird to think that a week ago I was walking around mumbling to myself constantly brimming with excitement with a dreaded fear I had completely over spent once again and working out how best to break the news to my wife why our overdraft has been exhausted!! This Monday night is a lot calmer and I can go to the petrol station in confidence I can fill my car up past the quarter mark.
          Last edited by The King Pimm; 18 March 2019, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
            Totally agree, day 1 of Aintree is comparable with Cheltenham, apart from the mares bumper - which I'm not a fan of.
            The 'problem' is, not a lot of horses are aimed at it... you start getting horses that are over the top.

Of course, you can just focus on the ones who skipped Cheltenham which is my experience is the way to go...

Arzal pops into the head first.

La Bague Au Roi this year, although it's way too obvious for the bookies to have missed... I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
              The 'problem' is, not a lot of horses are aimed at it... you start getting horses that are over the top.

Of course, you can just focus on the ones who skipped Cheltenham which is my experience is the way to go...

Arzal pops into the head first.

La Bague Au Roi this year, although it's way too obvious for the bookies to have missed... I reckon.
              It can be tricky, especially when their is such a short gap between the festivals, but plenty of Cheltenham horses run their races at Aintree and I think it's just the 'go to' excuse for trainers if their horse under performs at Aintree.

Comment

Working...
              X