Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Agree with Charlie, the buildup to the festival is great.

    The previews, the analysis of every single race, the handicap weights announcements, the entries, the declarations and then finally that Monday before racing begins. It’s all just brilliant. That last day before Cheltenham is one of my favourite days of the year tbh. Cheltenham Tuesday IS my favourite day of the year.

    Still.. we need to keep this forum active over the summer like last year (the forum monthly yankees helped) to keep the Cheltenham chat alive.

  2. #12
    Top Amateur
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    1,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
    Agree with Charlie, the buildup to the festival is great.

    The previews, the analysis of every single race, the handicap weights announcements, the entries, the declarations and then finally that Monday before racing begins. It’s all just brilliant. That last day before Cheltenham is one of my favourite days of the year tbh. Cheltenham Tuesday IS my favourite day of the year.

    Still.. we need to keep this forum active over the summer like last year (the forum monthly yankees helped) to keep the Cheltenham chat alive.
    Don't worry MOM, we will be on here all summer. We could try a few new threads around owners purchases, french juvenile form, who's bought what etc. I know not much will be happening but there may be significant purchases or things that may bear fruit for later on once the season starts.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Don't worry MOM, we will be on here all summer. We could try a few new threads around owners purchases, french juvenile form, who's bought what etc. I know not much will be happening but there may be significant purchases or things that may bear fruit for later on once the season starts.
    Absolutely agree with that.

    I’ll certainly be around over the summer. The only two festivals on the flat I tend to study hard is Ascot and York (and a little bit for Goodwood). But it’s just not the same as Cheltenham. There’s only one Cheltenham Festival.

  4. #14
    Top Amateur
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    885
    I like those ideas Charlie + MOM. For all i enjoy the flat stuff very much as well.

  5. #15
    The quality of the GN festival has improved so much over the last few years I don't really get post Cheltenham blues. In fact I'd go as far as say I don't feel it at all until the old Whitbread has been run. Though that's partly I guess because I have zero interest in flat racing.

    The buzz doesn't really return for me until the build up to the Hennessy.

  6. #16
    Top Amateur
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
    The quality of the GN festival has improved so much over the last few years I don't really get post Cheltenham blues. In fact I'd go as far as say I don't feel it at all until the old Whitbread has been run. Though that's partly I guess because I have zero interest in flat racing.

    The buzz doesn't really return for me until the build up to the Hennessy.
    I find Aintree an absolute minefield to bet on though which is what puts me off it

  7. #17
    7lb Claimer
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    First day back after last week and the inevitable post Cheltenham blues have hit me, big time. I am sure lots feel the same way.

    I find myself at a loss as to what to do, less so because the week has ended, but more so with my time on a day to day basis, which was predominately spent thinking about and planning Cheltenham. Plenty of people on here who invest more time than me will attest to that!

    What I have realized in creating this thread is that I love and miss the build up to Cheltenham, almost as much as the week itself. When you look at it from that perspective, we don't have a year to wait at all! Come September/October the season will be underway, the forum will be busy with pre-Cheltenham chatter and the ante post slips will be starting to fly. 5 months will be gone in no time, and we still have Aintree, Punchestown and Fairyhouse to look forward to in the meantime.

    See you then

    Thank god i'm not alone, I wish my life away from Christmas onwards and spend a few restless nights when it dawns that I'm in more than I should be, but it sure gets my 70 odd year adrenaline flowing.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrison Savannah View Post
    The quality of the GN festival has improved so much over the last few years I don't really get post Cheltenham blues. In fact I'd go as far as say I don't feel it at all until the old Whitbread has been run. Though that's partly I guess because I have zero interest in flat racing.

    The buzz doesn't really return for me until the build up to the Hennessy.
    Totally agree, day 1 of Aintree is comparable with Cheltenham, apart from the mares bumper - which I'm not a fan of.

  9. #19
    Top Amateur
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    368
    I can’t remember much about previous Aintree Festivals but I was surprised and disappointed at how small the fields were at last year’s, it meant there was very little competition and value. Was it a bad year last year after a month of heavy racing conditions or is Aintree normally made up of small field races??

    It’s weird to think that a week ago I was walking around mumbling to myself constantly brimming with excitement with a dreaded fear I had completely over spent once again and working out how best to break the news to my wife why our overdraft has been exhausted!! This Monday night is a lot calmer and I can go to the petrol station in confidence I can fill my car up past the quarter mark.
    Last edited by The King Pimm; 03-18-2019 at 09:31 PM.

  10. #20
    Champ Kevloaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Nantwich, Cheshire
    Posts
    10,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Totally agree, day 1 of Aintree is comparable with Cheltenham, apart from the mares bumper - which I'm not a fan of.
    The 'problem' is, not a lot of horses are aimed at it... you start getting horses that are over the top.


    Of course, you can just focus on the ones who skipped Cheltenham which is my experience is the way to go...

    Arzal pops into the head first.


    La Bague Au Roi this year, although it's way too obvious for the bookies to have missed... I reckon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •