Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2019 Melling Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luisgarciaisgod View Post
    Can someone explain the fascination in sending Altior up in trip?
    It's pretty simple... Seeing a racehorse do different things, setting it apart from other elite racehorses that we've seen, is why people want to see Altior tested in a different way. Ultimately, that is what it was born for.

I have never understood why people are so against it... if he tries and fails, he can go back to dominating the 2m chase divison?
    If he wins, he's discussed alongside Kauto Star.

Neither really matter do they... and no-one really cares... but just on a basic level, you can't tell me you have absolutely no interest in knowing if Altior is also a good 3 mile chaser?

Comment

No i really don't. I'd rather see Altior win two more Champion Chases and write himself into the record books as the best 2 mile chaser of all time.

I always revert back to Azerttyioup when people bring up this suggestion, people did it with Sprinter Sacre and now they're doing it with Altior. I honestly think that Azerttyioup was better than both Sprinter Sacre and Altior but when they stepped him up in trip for that King George it ruined the horse and he never recovered.

I do sometimes think people sometimes forget just how hard a race a Gold Cup is, horses like Imperial Commander, Bobs Worth and Coneygree were never the same after winning their respective Gold Cups, even Denman despite that heroic Hennesey win and being placed twice never recovered after that win in 08.

Going back to Sprinter Sacre, they resisted the temptation to send him further and he went out on top as a superstar. Personally I hope to see Altior go out the same way

Comment

No i really don't. I'd rather see Altior win two more Champion Chases and write himself into the record books as the best 2 mile chaser of all time.

I always revert back to Azerttyioup when people bring up this suggestion, people did it with Sprinter Sacre and now they're doing it with Altior. I honestly think that Azerttyioup was better than both Sprinter Sacre and Altior but when they stepped him up in trip for that King George it ruined the horse and he never recovered.

I do sometimes think people sometimes forget just how hard a race a Gold Cup is, horses like Imperial Commander, Bobs Worth and Coneygree were never the same after winning their respective Gold Cups, even Denman despite that heroic Hennesey win and being placed twice never recovered after that win in 08.

Going back to Sprinter Sacre, they resisted the temptation to send him further and he went out on top as a superstar. Personally I hope to see Altior go out the same way
        Not a fan of the races ruin horses theory myself.
        I’d like to see Altior tested and at 2 miles nothing has really done so.
        Maybe cyrname at sandown

Comment

Sprinter won the Melling in what was the greatest performance I’ve seen in my short time following racing

Comment

I've no problem with Altior going for the Melling chase but the whole buzz about sending Gold Cup bound is what gets me. There's more Champion Chases to be won

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
              Sprinter won the Melling in what was the greatest performance I’ve seen in my short time following racing
              I'd honestly put his return CC win above the Melling peformance, what a horse though. Was watching the Supreme in which SS, Cue Card and Al Ferof fought it out. Also wonder how good a horse Spirit Son would have been.

When im talking about going up in trip I'm talking about the Gold Cup route not SS winning over2m4
              Last edited by luisgarciaisgod; 30 March 2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                Not a fan of the races ruin horses theory myself.
                I’d like to see Altior tested and at 2 miles nothing has really done so.
                Maybe cyrname at sandown
                If Altior was being tested and the 2 mile chase divison was superb, then perhaps I'd be less excited by the prospect...

...but it isn't.... and to be fair Cyrname and Altior in the King George make that (at this incredibly early stage) the race I'm most excited about next season at the moment...

Comment

I'd honestly put his return CC win above the Melling peformance, what a horse though. Was watching the Supreme in which SS, Cue Card and Al Ferof fought it out. Also wonder how good a horse Spirit Son would have been
                  Let me change the question then to move the discussion on...

How do you feel about each of these horses stepping up in trip:

Kauto Star
                  Apple's Jade
                  Buveur D'air
                  Vautour
                  Cue Card
                  Dawn Run

What my reply will be, is that although none of these were exceptional 2 milers like you can argue Altior is, "technically" on the figures, Altior isn't either, he's just in a weak division - and he may be a better horse up in trip like SOME of the above are. Similar to Buveur D'air? The difference with Buveur D'air is, no-one cares if he can stay 3 miles ovr hurdles

Would Vautour or Kauto Star have won the Champion Chases that Altior has? You'd really, really think so (bar falls) wouldn't you?

They could have been "great 2 milers".... but isn't it better that we know they are great horses rather than stuck in one box?
                  Last edited by Kevloaf; 30 March 2019, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    Let me change the question then to move the discussion on...

How do you feel about each of these horses stepping up in trip:

Kauto Star
                    Apple's Jade
                    Buveur D'air
                    Vautour
                    Cue Card
                    Dawn Run

What my reply will be, is that although none of these were exceptional 2 milers like you can argue Altior is, "technically" on the figures, Altior isn't either, he's just in a weak division - and he may be a better horse up in trip like SOME of the above are. Similar to Buveur D'air? The difference with Buveur D'air is, no-one cares if he can stay 3 miles ovr hurdles

Would Vautour or Kauto Star have won the Champion Chases that Altior has? You'd really, really think so (bar falls) wouldn't you?

They could have been "great 2 milers".... but isn't it better that we know they are great horses rather than stuck in one box?
                    Kauto Star was stepped up because he wasn't an outstanding 2m chaser, he went off favourite for the CC more on his reputation and he fell. Sure what's the harm in stepping him up, he hasn't won anything. Would he have won the CC's that Altior won? I don't know but he didn't win the one he partticipated in, which was weaker then the two Altior won

I thought it was madness Apples Jade going the CH route, always felt that she wanted further then to go back in trip. Would haved liked her to run in the Stayers. Nevertheless she lost in the Mares last year so what's the harm in finding a new trip for her. It's not like she had won a championship race

What's the point in Buvair D'air going up? There's none. Still more Champion Hurdles to be won. There's also no clamouring for him to go up either, unlike Altior

Vatour never won a 2m champion chase at Cheltenham, he won a Supreme, JLT and won a Ryaner after Cue Card done him at Kempton. If he couldn't get the KG distance he was never going to win a GC. Correct decision running him in that Ryanair. Didn't win a Championship Race at the festival. Would Vatour have won the CC's that Altior won? Maybe but considering they sent UDS to go in against SS maybe shows how they felt about Vatour over 2m. Remember they also sidestepped it the year Dodging Bullets to go novice chasing. Are Dodging Bullets and Un De Sceaux much better then than Min or Politilogue are now?

Cue Card won a bumper but had finished 4th in a supreme and 2nd in an arkle. Couldn't win at 2m so run him further, won a very good Ryanair but that wasn't a Championship race so went futher and he failed, twice. Never won a Championship race at the festival.

Dawn Run I can't answer for, I've never seen her Champion Hurdle win or anything other then the closing stages of her Gold Cup win. I wasn't alive then so i don't know the circumstances in her going up.

So only Buvair D'air is the one I'd say leave her be. I've never heard any clamouring for her to go The Stayers and there's no need because he's probably the best 2m hurdler still around. Altior is the chasing equivilant, whats the point?

No problem with horses going up and down in trip especially when they don't look like they completely get the trip or the opposition is better and there'd be better chances elsewhere. Desert Orchid was tried at everything short of a 6f sprint at Dundalk on a Friday night before he went 3m chasing, he stayed there. One Man finally won a Championship Race at 2m after being sent over 3m for so long. John Hales said he regretted not dropping him back in trip from day 1 and be aimed at 2m Chases from thereone in, obviously he couldn't forsee what happened at Aintree

If a horse has his optimium trip and is incredibly successful, why change?
                    Last edited by luisgarciaisgod; 30 March 2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

"If a horse has his optimium trip and is incredibly successful, why change?"

How do you know 2 miles is Altior's optimum trip?

I'll reply to the others a bit later
                      Last edited by Kevloaf; 30 March 2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I'd honestly put his return CC win above the Melling peformance, what a horse though. Was watching the Supreme in which SS, Cue Card and Al Ferof fought it out. Also wonder how good a horse Spirit Son would have been.

When im talking about going up in trip I'm talking about the Gold Cup route not SS winning over2m4
                        Spirit Son is one of the great unknowns

FWIW I think Sprinter at Newbury setting track record has to be in best evers.

If it’s a top 3 two of the other best performances I have ever seen were Mastermindeds champion chase and Moscow’s last Melling. Another great unknown is Moscow not stepping up in his final year.

Comment

They’ll be rating Min higher than Altior now

Comment

Originally posted by Stormez View Post
                            They’ll be rating Min higher than Altior now
                            Gutted he didn't run in the Ryanair to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                            X