Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly up.

Paisley Park was a highlight because of the story attached.

Sir Eric was awful, given the fact that he had a foot problem before the fez, then pulled a shoe off the same foot at the start, followed by the focus on him being re-shod and the comments about how relaxed he was. Then to go and break the same leg in the race seems like they had a couple of warning shots to not run him, very sad.

Klassical Dream getting the fez off to a dream start, then backing the next 2 winners as well.

Gold cup was a great race I thought.

Try to find one or two horses to focus on and get a couple of really good bets going, always done this in the past but nothing really floated my boat this year, on the plus side it meant I didn't have much of an ante post book to watch fall apart.
    Great week again though, hopefully plenty of banter to come throughout this year ready for the next one.

Comment

1) Are you up or down?

Down but a mild amount and due to ante post staking and not that much in the week meant it was effectively like a return. HAd a couple of hit the post moments where Delta Work, Epantante (despite not fancying her much) MOMD and Tobefair could have gone in and won me a fortune

2) What was your highlight racing wise?

Tiger Roll. The way he went "Nah, let's mince this mob" was just delightful

3) What was your lowlight racing wise?

Sir Erec, the NH chase and Invitation Only (and the way Mullins on TV legit didn't seem to give a flying one) all seriously effected how much I care for the game. For the first time a friend expressed their distaste for my interest in racing and I had no answer that made sense after all that unfurled

4) What was your highlight betting wise? Best race?

Al Boum not only won me a lot of money, he rescued a pretty miserable Friday for me too. Also cashing out 12/1 on Klassical Dream, halving my stake and going back in at 24s on the exchange made me feel dead savvy.

5) What was your lowlight betting wise?

MOMD would have netted me a small fortune on a Codd yankee and a couple of awesome doubles. This year each day I permed Gordon's runners and Davy's following the stats trends, only for them have a mediocre and atrociius festival respectively

6) Anything you wish you'd done differently?

Every year I make money on Tuesday and Thursday, have torrid Fridays and Wednesdays. Each year fail to learn my lesson. Also despite wanting to do more singles I ended up with way too many multiples that just killed my chances of making a profit.

Comment

1) Are you up or down?
        I've been going to Cheltenham for 22 years and never had a year like this, and probably never will again! Don't want to sound like a smart arse, but I'm hugely up. More than I could have ever dreamed of.

Loved seeing Paul Nichols have a couple of winners, and boy did he enjoy them! Thought the RSA was my favourite race of the week and they look 3 very good horses for the future.

Like most others, Sir Erec was very tough to watch and only half watched the rest of the race. Thought Joseph handled the whole situation exceptionally well.

I'm going to sound like a smart arse again, but too many to mention. Early Doors and Band of Outlaws were my two handicap bets of the week and the ones Id given to all the people who come out of the woodwork Cheltenham week to ask for tips, and its always to nice to give a winner out. I always do an ew yankee the week before Chelts of my main fancy each day and luckily enough chose Klassical Dream, Band Of Outlaws, Sire Du Berlais and Early Doors. I didn't half cheer Early Doors home in the last!!

Probably the Triumph. I had a lot staked on the race and didnt recoup a single penny. I also saw that the first note Id made when I got home last year was don't bother with the Triumph antepost. Hope I can learn this year! Also the Foxhunters. Not a race I pay that much attention to, but after the race I looked at Hazel Hill's form and wondered how on earth Id missed him.

Hard to have too many regrets with the way its finished. Probably the Triumph as above.

Just cant wait to do it all again next year now!!

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
          1) Are you up or down?
          I've been going to Cheltenham for 22 years and never had a year like this, and probably never will again! Don't want to sound like a smart arse, but I'm hugely up. More than I could have ever dreamed of.

Loved seeing Paul Nichols have a couple of winners, and boy did he enjoy them! Thought the RSA was my favourite race of the week and they look 3 very good horses for the future.

Like most others, Sir Erec was very tough to watch and only half watched the rest of the race. Thought Joseph handled the whole situation exceptionally well.

I'm going to sound like a smart arse again, but too many to mention. Early Doors and Band of Outlaws were my two handicap bets of the week and the ones Id given to all the people who come out of the woodwork Cheltenham week to ask for tips, and its always to nice to give a winner out. I always do an ew yankee the week before Chelts of my main fancy each day and luckily enough chose Klassical Dream, Band Of Outlaws, Sire Du Berlais and Early Doors. I didn't half cheer Early Doors home in the last!!

Probably the Triumph. I had a lot staked on the race and didnt recoup a single penny. I also saw that the first note Id made when I got home last year was don't bother with the Triumph antepost. Hope I can learn this year! Also the Foxhunters. Not a race I pay that much attention to, but after the race I looked at Hazel Hill's form and wondered how on earth Id missed him.

Hard to have too many regrets with the way its finished. Probably the Triumph as above.

Well done CCM. That was some Yankee!

Comment

1) Are you up or down?
            Up. Due to my approach of using any Free Bet that I get throughout the year on Cheltenham Antepost Markets - it would be difficult for me not to make a profit! In summary, I placed just 58 pts in cash and returned 519 pts

Racing wise, the RSA was my highlight. A superb race with the 3 horses at the head of the market fighting it out at the finish. An excellent spectacle.

Aside from the fatalities, the National Hunt Chase as a whole was tough to watch (and re-watch). Whether this is a one-off, or whether changes need to be made - I'm not sure.

Contrary to most (and as a complete surprise to me!), my biggest financial return was in the Triumph. But purely because of my small interest in Pentland Hills, I had backed it at 33's after it won at Plumpton a couple of weeks back.

The National Hunt Chase was tough. I had pretty much the same Antepost book as the majority of the forum and added Discorama and Atlanta Ablaze on the morning. I was on three of the four horses contesting the lead turning for home, only for the one unbacked horse winning

I should trust my gut! I went in with a decent book of Antepost bets - but still felt the need to "cover" others on the day. Whilst I made a small profit from on-the-day betting across the 4 days, this was only due to a decent single winner on the Friday. A number of "life-changing" multiples that came nowhere - contributed to this.

All-in-all, my most profitable festival yet

Comment

1) Are you up or down?

Fantastic CCM, well done.

Comment

1) Are you up or down?

Brilliant!!,, Well Done C.C.M. !!, I had Klassical Dream , Sire du Berlais and Early doors ,
                But Not together in a Multi , Top Punting.

Comment

I had a terrible Cheltenham, really horrific, but it's only cash and I'll bounce back.

What really had an effect on me was the fatal injury to Sir Erec, can't really say why as I've seen leg breaks before having followed NH racing for nearly 50 years. I hadn't even backed it so it's not my pocket talking, but I was genuinely close to tears watching the race.

Think I might be going through the male menopause

Comment

I had a decent Cheltenham, aided by a few good anteposts. Probably not as good as it could've been with 1 or 2 not winning that i fancied most. Up on the week, and just trying to think on how to improve it for next year- i think my antepost bet stakes is something i need to focus on.

Staking is a complex thing, and i know a lot follow different methods and some follow nothing at all!

I try to stick to level stakes when betting daily, however, with this being my first year of heavily focusing on anteposts, i lowered my level stake for my anteposts to a quarter of a point.

Do many lower their stakes for antepost given the risks attached?

Comment

I need to learn about laying horses and understanding how the exchanges work as a number of favourites I thought were going to lose this year did.

Comment

Working...
                      X