Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Are you up or down?
    Up around 20% overall, mainly due to a pre race profit on the Gold Cup through a series of ‘back to lays’ via B Exchange, particularly from CDO, Kemboy, Frodon and Anibale Fly.* My main focus has always been the Friday as this is the only day I’m on course.

2) What was your highlight racing wise?
    The RSA seeing the raw potential of Topofthegame shine through. Also Paisley Park and the joy his win gave to connections.

3) What was your lowlight racing wise?
    The NH Chase this year was not the sort or race you want to see at the Festival. More ammunition for the anti jumps campaigners, as if they didn't already have enough with the casualties during the week including 2 high profile instances on Gold Cup day. Very sad and having watched back the Friday coverage on ITV, from the moment that Sir Erec received his life ending injury I could sense the trepidation in the presenters* voices and body language. I know it's part and parcel of this sport which we love but if you talk to family and friends who are not into NH Racing, there seems to be more loathing towards it now. It will be interesting to see what feedback ITV receives and also the incresased anxiousness there will surely be about further casualties in the Grand National.

4) What was your highlight betting wise? Best race?
    Gold Cup as healthy profit before tapes went up. Would have doubled this had Anibale Fly won so the race itself got the pulse rate up until near the end. Also I had backed Hazel Hill at 25s prior to prep run, providing decent net profit on the Foxhunters as well.

5) What was your lowlight betting wise?
    The Triumph Hurdle (again), as sucked into backing a ton of potentially good things for many of them to fizzle out on their first or second starts, others such as Fusil Raffles to get injured when backed at long odds and showing promise. As in previous years I eventually had the whole field covered by backing the remaining 5 outsiders* on the day (including Pentland Hills at 20s) to ensure a return. By that stage I had Sir Erec, Adjali, Quel Destin, Pic D'orhy and Gardens of Babylon in a raft of doubles with GC horses.

6) Anything you wish you'd done differently?
    Not to get involved in the Triumph Hurdle until after the Spring Juvenile and avoid speculative antepost doubles involving the Triumph. As mentioned before, the Triumph Hurdle in 2018 apparently had the 6th highest betting turnover of all UK horse races (jumps and flat). Suggests to me this is a bookies benefit with so many runners never making it to the track and the majority of winners not advertising their true form credentials until the month before. If you can cash out and trade effectively then all well and good but I have never found enough liquidity in the B Exchange for this race. I did trade Fusil Raffles to good effect immediately after the Adonis (before his leg injury was seen on TV) but that was a one off.

I'm going to stop backing Henderson horses now in the Grand Annual as overbet due to the* expectation that he has one primed to win his dad's race. He has in the past and a few placed but too many have failed at poor value prices. I should think that any Skelton horse in the County hurdle will be similarly overbet next year. Could lightening really strike 3 years in a row. If so then search it out now as it will be a long term plan already in the making.

Finally, make a note of positive comments re horses as they come up in the FJ race threads because otherwise it's a mammoth exercise to read back through the comments just prior to the Festival.

Comment

1) Are you up or down?
      Up by 59pts
      188pts return off 128pts staked
      46% ROI

The RSA was incredible. The 3 horses we all expected and wanted to see fight out the finish did. Played out exactly how I would have wanted in my head. 3 horses with immense potential going forward. A race for the ages. Even so I can't quite get the image of Tiger Roll bounding clear out on his own in front with nothing around him. Was a special moment being there and I actually felt like he received as good if not a better reception than Altior coming back to the winners enclosure which is unbelievable really.

Sir Erec the clear low of the entire festival. I didn't have him backed at all (bar a few multiples that had gone) but that was just a horrible horrible thing to watch. The fact that it happened with the stone bruise a week prior, the shoe before the race makes it all the more sickening as obviously it had no bearing AT ALL but many outside racing will be using that against the sport right now.

In a similar vein though i'd also like to mention the tough week that Graham Wylie has had. To lose Ballyward at the start of the week, then Invitation Only on the final day must have been awful. Add that to losing Nichols Canyon 18 months ago, and to a lesser extent Yorkhill's form just falling by the wayside it's been a tough time for him.

In terms of races that failed to spark. Day One had a few. The Arkle on paper looked a horror show and poor. Well the race ended up being a poor running of a poor Arkle. All the main protagonists were taken out of the race. Just one to absolutely move on and forget about in every way. The NHC was another with only 4 finishers. Don't agree with any negativity of the race itself - take it as a freak year imo but not a great spectacle at all. Ahead of them all though was the Champion Hurdle for me. The 2 mares were slightly found out / didn't run there race / act at the track etc but Buveur D'Air falling was a big blow to see for me. All the credit the winner but I have no doubt BvD would have served it up to him there and likely got his 3 in a row. But that said you need to jump and he didn't so no excuses just feel he finally would have got the credit (for all many would have crabbed this renewal as well). He has let mistakes creep into his game this year though, at Newcastle, Kempton and here so you could say the signs were starting to creep in...

And lastly - not so much a racing lowlight but the love in of Bryony Frost on ITV. I wasn't aware being there at the track during the week but watching back the interviews now it's mad that the focus of attention was SO focused on her. The issue isn't of course with Bryony - she 100% is brilliant for the game. She's a very good jockey and racing absolutely should tap into her as a figure as the aftermath of her win on Frodon was amazing, her emotion, interviews after, explanation of how the race was one was superb. ITV will build up a story and focus of course but it surely went overboard when 2 races after Frodon, Lizzie Kelly wins. You'd think they'd continue the 'female jockey angle' (which actually I find annoying) but instead of concentrating on Kelly's achievement, asked her about Bryony. Even when Rachael Blackmore won her first grade 1 on the Friday, again when you think they ramp up her achievement it comes back to Bryony. Surprising and poor. Aiden Coleman won his first ever grade 1 at the festival on Paisley Park - I don't recall his name getting asked about or mentioned to any other jockeys etc. Again, no issue with Bryony Frost - is what the game needs but the media hype is in overdrive and that only then means one thing, one and it already looks to start being the case where some people are starting to get slightly negative on her (just for the praise) and secondly it's just building her up for a fall

Hard to look past the Supreme for me. I know most on here had the same horses backed so It wasn't out of the blue but to have the 1-2-3 and Aramon in 6th (thanks WH) meant 4/5 of the backed horses came in. Meant the ideal start to the week.

BdD falling was a sickener when the race was at her mercy but for me Presenting Percy being found lame and not running his race at all (Yala Enki finished in front of him for goodness sake!) Whether he would have won or not, you just want to be able to see your fancy run it's race and if it's beaten on merit fair enough. The same was the case with Cause of Causes last year.

I hadn't been able to get as involved in this this season missing some chunks of the season so always felt I was slightly playing catch up. My stake had increased year on year doing antepost but actually was only half of last years this time. Hopefully that won't be the case next season and I actually hope i'll be pushing on and potentially increasing my stake / total staked now going forward.

I also still need to make sure I don't get too hung up on short priced handicap favourites. Last year I was against Glenloe for his price. This year the same for Sire du Berlais. I'm still conditioned to want to take on these short priced favourites in big field handicaps. It worked on some this year (Janika and Magic Saint) but when it is a race like the Pertemps and the plan so clear cut by a man like Gordon Elliott, the fact I missed the big prices shouldn't mean I don't back the winner. A 4/1 Fav in a handicap for me still feels short and one I want to take on yet just a race earlier you had Defi du Seuil a 3/1 Fav yet that felt like a great price and one I latched onto. Obviously 2 very different races but i'd have snapped off 4/1 on DdS 40 minutes earlier, I had the same price on a horse who I thought would likely win but swerved it instead looking for bigger prices. To repeat the mistake of Glenloe (for all he lost) a year before is very poor on my part

I also made a point at the start of the season to do more trixies / yankees over straight trebles / four-folds etc. Though I did that I actually concentrated more on doubles (64% of my multiples were doubles) and with Benie des Dieux and Penhill taking up a large majority of them it meant I had very few running by the end of race 4 on day one. I need a proper look but scanning through them if I had actually of combined some in trixies and yankees I would have had returns in there

Comment

1.- UP , Definitely my best festival.
        2.- Got to be the R.S.A chase , Cracking race.
        3.- Go's without saying - Sir erec.
        4.- R.s.a chs , 1st ,2nd,3rd at Big prices, but also goldcup 1st,2nd at Big prices.
        5.- Definitely Buveur d'air falling , In a stack of Multi bets.
        6.- Same as last year , cut down the volume of L.15/31's before October.

Comment

1) Are you up or down?
          Up again, just about my most successful festival for the 5th year in a row, thanks to you guys mostly.

The RSA was a fantastic race, despite me only being on Santini.

Similar to everyone else, Sir Erec was a lowpoint, I was watching in a Sports bar and the gasp from everyone watching was a goosebump moment

Defi easily my biggest winner. Also Band of Outlaws won me a bit and having tipped him to everyone in the office, that was a sweet moment

A few of them tbf, the Supreme was a nightmare and I still haven't won the opener since Douvan.
          BDD falling kicked out a lot of multiples, a few which went on to win.
          The 4 miler was a shame as well, I had a very nice double with Ok Corral & Tiger Roll at good prices, huge shame that went down.

Basically just the whole of Tuesday.

Booked the week off work, and backed more winners

Again a huge thanks to everyone here and a huge congrats to Scooby, well deserved mate.

Here's to next year

Comment

And lastly - not so much a racing lowlight but the love in of Bryony Frost on ITV. I wasn't aware being there at the track during the week but watching back the interviews now it's mad that the focus of attention was SO focused on her. The issue isn't of course with Bryony - she 100% is brilliant for the game. She's a very good jockey and racing absolutely should tap into her as a figure as the aftermath of her win on Frodon was amazing, her emotion, interviews after, explanation of how the race was one was superb. ITV will build up a story and focus of course but it surely went overboard when 2 races after Frodon, Lizzie Kelly wins. You'd think they'd continue the 'female jockey angle' (which actually I find annoying) but instead of concentrating on Kelly's achievement, asked her about Bryony. Even when Rachael Blackmore won her first grade 1 on the Friday, again when you think they ramp up her achievement it comes back to Bryony. Surprising and poor. Aiden Coleman won his first ever grade 1 at the festival on Paisley Park - I don't recall his name getting asked about or mentioned to any other jockeys etc. Again, no issue with Bryony Frost - is what the game needs but the media hype is in overdrive and that only then means one thing, one and it already looks to start being the case where some people are starting to get slightly negative on her (just for the praise) and secondly it's just building her up for a fall

^ 100% agree. Not her fault but annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post

^ 100% agree. Not her fault but annoying.
              This is the one thing which annoyed me all week, they talk sooooo much about the female jockeys at every single possible moment. It all stems from Ed chamberlin as well hes the instigator of the female talk haha. Its not like female jockeys are some kind of super human yet the way they talk constantly about them you would think they were. Why shouldnt a man get the congratulations like Bryony does?

Hope it doesn't go on and on about the female jockeys in the future ITV racing broadcasts as its been going on for a good while now. My only negative for what was a thoroughly enjoyable weeks of racing!

Comment

Originally posted by darlojim View Post
                This is the one thing which annoyed me all week, they talk sooooo much about the female jockeys at every single possible moment. It all stems from Ed chamberlin as well hes the instigator of the female talk haha. Its not like female jockeys are some kind of super human yet the way they talk constantly about them you would think they were. Why shouldnt a man get the congratulations like Bryony does?

Hope it doesn't go on and on about the female jockeys in the future ITV racing broadcasts as its been going on for a good while now. My only negative for what was a thoroughly enjoyable weeks of racing!
                C4 used to do it to Hayley Turner

Comment

Wouldn’t say it’s Ed Chamberlain, I imagine the agenda is set by higher ups who are hoping that the constant talk of Bryony will increase female viewership

However as Dan Skelton said last year, it’s about time we started referring to them as jockeys not female jockeys.

Comment

1) Up slightly. Few bits and pieces antepost landed but the two bets that would have really changed the week (Benie in the Mares and Klassical Dream/Altior and Apples Jade/BDA trebles) sadly didn’t land. Benie obviously in particular hurt. Had 3 decent days really but had an absolute nightmare on Friday

2) The RSA was the highlight (despite being a Santini and Delta Work antepost backer) Was on course Tuesday and Wednesday and this and the Champion Hurdle were the two races I was really looking forward to, the big 3 in this definitely delivered, the big 3 in the CH definitely did not

3) Lowlight Racing wise the Champion Hurdle and the Triumph just seem like races to cross out for me

4) Highlight betting wise was Sire Du Berlais, was on it myself but it was also the horse I gave to anyone in the pub who wanted a tip. Still can’t believe he managed to win

5) Lowlight betting wise was definitely Benie. I was stood just about in line with the last and literally turned to my mate and said just pop over

6) Differently would be definitely to use the any race market more, don’t really bother with multiples antepost (ended up with a few decent priced horses but they were in doubles with non runners etc) Usually do well with the novice hurdlers but never really got anywhere near this year, possibly because of Mullins (and others) not getting the usual winter ground

Comment

Re TopOfTheGame for the GC

PN on his open day when asked about Cyrname instantly said Trained for the King George and GC without a seconds thought. Would this put you off Top?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Cossack View Post

PN on his open day when asked about Cyrname instantly said Trained for the King George and GC without a seconds thought. Would this put you off Top?
                        Would'nt be a Problem for me D.C. , I don't think Paul Nicholls will mind , If Clan des obeaux, T.O.T.G,
                        and Cyrname all turn up for the Gold cup... I.e - Tizzards ,N.R,T.Crk,E.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Cossack View Post

Considering he had Denman and Kauto Star.... no

Not even for half a second.

Comment

1. Down, but only small.
                            Was never going to recover from Cilaos Emery, Honesysuckle and Penhill withdrawals and Laurina swerving the Mares.
                            Buveur D'Air in around half my ante post multis meant Tuesday was never going to be anything other than horrific.

2. Two stood out for me, Tiger Roll was just ridiculous, but Bryony on Frodon was a magic festival moment that will be shown again and again for years to come, best ride I have seen in a long time and a pilot who then heaped all the credit on the horse, just brilliant.
                            I was also fortunate to be in the winners enclosure after the Ryanair Bryony not only stayed there for 20-25 mins doing interviews and returning regularly to hug Frodon, she then went round the the parade ring posing for photos with anyone that asked, a class act

3. Many people have said Sir Erec here but for anyone who was there on Tuesday evening they will agree the scenes after the 4 miler were amongst the worst ever seen on a racecourse.
                            Horse lay prone with screens round them at the second last, last and first after the stands, could not have happened at a worse location and as I was on level 5 I had full view of them all, just horrific.
                            Thankfully two horses recovered, sadly Ballyward did not.

4. Sire des Berlais was my best pick up, hell of a ride by Barry.

5. Champion hurdle probably

6. Hindsight is always wonderful, you have to accept that you will get more calls wrong than right and just celebrate the wins when they come.
                            And I've already started climbing into the 5/1 Buveur D'Air for next year
                            Last edited by Istabraq; 17 March 2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              1. Down, but only small.
                              Was never going to recover from Cilaos Emery, Honesysuckle and Penhill withdrawals and Laurina swerving the Mares.
                              Buveur D'Air in around half my ante post multis meant Tuesday was never going to be anything other than horrific.

2. Two stood out for me, Tiger Roll was just ridiculous, but Bryony on Frodon was a magic festival moment that will be shown again and again for years to come, best ride I have seen in a long time and a pilot who then heaped all the credit on the horse, just brilliant.
                              I was also fortunate to be in the winners enclosure after the Ryanair Bryony not only stayed there for 20-25 mins doing interviews and returning regularly to hug Frodon, she then went round the the parade ring posing for photos with anyone that asked, a class act

3. Many people have said Sir Erec here but for anyone who was there on Tuesday evening they will agree the scenes after the 4 miler were amongst the worst ever seen on a racecourse.
                              Horse lay prone with screens round them at the second last, last and first after the stands, could not have happened at a worse location and as I was on level 5 I had full view of them all, just horrific.
                              Thankfully two horses recovered, sadly Ballyward did not.

4. Sire des Berlais was my best pick up, hell of a ride by Barry.

5. Champion hurdle probably

6. Hindsight is always wonderful, you have to accept that you will get more calls wrong than right and just celebrate the wins when they come.
                              And I've already started climbing into the 5/1 Buveur D'Air for next year
                              You make a good point about the NH Chase ending. Three screens up for the three fences along the stands is a horrible way to end a days racing. Not a nice feeling walking out after that. Reminded me of the Grand Annual as the finale to the meeting in 2018.

Thankfully two got up. RIP to Ballyward.

Comment

I ended Up, I did alright but could have done so much better but most of this was down to cashing out too early or too late which will always be a frustration. I had great start by having the top 3 in the Supreme and Beware The Bear but struggled on Day 1 after that, the Arkle and Champion Hurdle result wiped out a lot of multiples. I could have really done with Discorama winning!!

I had a lovely Lucky 31 coming to the boil with A Plus Tard at 10’s, Wicklow Brave at 34’s, Coko Beach at 17’s and then had Measure of My Dreams at 10’s and Early Doors at 17’s. I waited until Measure of my Dream lost and cashed out for a few hundred only to watch Early Doors win the Martin Pipe!! I had a similar situation but with Defi, Sire Du Berlais, Spirit of the Games, Killfilium Cross, Hazel Hill, Dallas De Picton along with Friend or Foe a confirmed NRNB. I cashed out after Killfilum Cross got placed and Hazel Hill went on to win & Dallas De Picton went on to place. I would have had 6 times the cash out price if I had let it run!!! I need to grow bigger bollocks for next year!!

My disappointment of the week was the Arkle, CH & Mares Hurdle & Mares Novice. The Arkle because I had Glen Forsa as a banker in a load of multiples along with BBD in the MH. The Mares Novice result was a disgrace, it ended up a farcical result with the top 2 having no real form to work on. They should scrap it and replace it with a Mares Handicap race.

Performance of the Festival was Defi Du Sol, Paisley Park and Frodon. Just because they were both game and I had doubts before the races as to whether they were good enough and they were. Credit to Nigel TD for being ballsy about Wholestone & Bristol De Mai in the previews, they both ran cracking races and also to Sam Spinner as he proved how good a horse he still is.

The Sir Erec injury was awful, I was watching the race with my 7 year old daughter sat on my lap, it upset her as much as me, very sad incident.

I was very disappointed with the Giggenstown horses, I’m not sure if anything has come out afterwards but I’ve only just come back down to Earth with Festival, a Welsh Grand Slam and my wife’s birthday over the past 5 days. BOD, Hardline, Mortal, Apples Jade along with a number of others ran stinkers, very disappointing and cost me a lot of multiples. Measure of My Dreams & Ucello Conti we’re rubbish too after all the hype, another De Plotting Shed!!

Another disappointment was the weather. It’s no ones fault but the cold wind nearly broke me at the course, I was freezing!!

Apart from that I had a Top week!!
                                Last edited by The King Pimm; 17 March 2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X