Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Gold Cup Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they will race tomorrow but feel the long term future plans will be from Wed to Sat.

Comment

There is a danger it gets called off during the day itself or when people are on the way to the course or in it. Many years ago I remember strong winds towards the end of the day, while the stand in the best mate was being put up (not during the festival). I guess today there are a lot of other temporary stands etc that go up. Safety has to be paramount. Difficult to call I would guess

Comment

Yeah safety is the main issue. The horse will run in the wind no bother, but I wouldn't want to be the camera man 150 feet up on a crane though!

I have just had a look and it says gusts to about 40 mph around mid day then slowing down after. They could elect to start at 2pm and just have 5 mins less between each race.

Comment

Racing goes ahead

Comment

Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
            Racing goes ahead
            Yep. Can't see anything on the Racing Post website but just confirmed on 5 live

Comment

The winds will get up to 40 miles per hours by midday, but by racing it drops down to 21 miles per hour, so i see no reason why they would cancel today..

Not a hat day...

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbo82 View Post
                If tomorrow is cancelled then all of Wednesdays races will be moved to Saturday, apparently when they moved the Wednesday races over Thursday and Friday in 2008 lots of people complained about the racing going on for to long!
                I asked at the Information point yesterday and this is what they told me too., BUT ,
                They don't want that to happen, and hopeful it will go ahead today.

Comment

Racing goes ahead.

Comment

My suggestion would be to start at 2-10 , and shove the Bumper in tomorrow or friday,
                    But hey , no one listens to me anyhow !!.

Comment

Cheltenham passed safe for day two. Wahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Shelby View Post
                        Cheltenham passed safe for day two. Wahoo!
                        For now. It should be ok though. Buzzing for today, yesterday was tough

Comment

Originally posted by thomas shelby View Post
                          cheltenham passed safe for day two. Wahoo!
                          yeeeeeesssss!!

Comment

Thank goodness for that.

Comment

FYI flights from Belfast are taking off and landing no problem and that's where this storm is supposed to hit. It's fine here at the moment so hopefully we get through the day and it's not as bad as expected

Comment

Working...
                              X