Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Owner / Trainer Handicap Analysis - 2008 - 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also read today how GE only ever runs one horse in each graded race

So while I also see them as nob handed because of Irish racing it’s clear when Giggi/Gordon come to Cheltenham none of their runners are there for the day out

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post

So while I also see them as nob handed because of Irish racing it’s clear when Giggi/Gordon come to Cheltenham none of their runners are there for the day out
      Nob handed definitely the best FJF typo

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
        Nob handed definitely the best FJF typo

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post

Really?!

I had never ever noticed that!

Can that be true?!

You got a link?

Comment

Slightly misread, could just be one for Giggi

Comment

Nicky Henderson Handicap Performance 2008 – 2018

Runners / Winners / Losing Fav / Placed 1-3

Ultima
              13 / 0 / 1 / 2

Close Brothers
              21 / 1 / 1 / 5
              2013 - Rajdhani Express 16/1

Cross Country (Handicap from 2008 – 2015)
              0 / 0 / 0 / 0

Fred Winter
              14 / 1 / 2 / 2
              2012 – Une Artiste 40/1

Coral Cup
              32 / 2 / 2 / 1
              2014 – Whisper 14/1
              2010 – Spirit River 14/1

Pertemps
              15 / 1 / 0 / 0
              2015 – Call The Cops 9/1

Brown Advisory
              19 / 0 / 0 / 0

Kim Muir
              13 / 0 / 0 / 2

Martin Pipe
              25 / 1 / 1 / 3
              2009 – Andytown 25/1

County Hurdle
              17 / 0 / 1 / 1

Grand Annual
              29 / 1 / 3 / 6
              2012 – Bellvano 20/1

Summary

Total Handicap Runners: 198
              Winners: 7 (3.5%)
              Placed: 24 (12.4%)

A £10 level stake across all his handicap runners from 2008-2018 would leave you down - £530, and that’s keeping in mind 4 of his 7 winners won at 40/1, 25/1, 20/1 and 16/1.

Season / Cheltenham Winners / Handicap Entries / Total NH Runners

2018 – 0 – 19 - 524
              2017 – 0 – 16 - 618
              2016 – 0 – 14 - 414
              2015 – 1 – 15 - 499
              2014 – 1 – 22 - 514
              2013 – 1 – 19 - 509
              2012 – 2 – 23 - 627
              2011 – 0 – 22 - 612
              2010 – 1 – 20 - 511
              2009 – 1 – 19 - 499
              2008 – 0 – 9 - 377

Races

Never won the County Hurdle, Kim Muir, Brown Advisory or Ultima, having tried with 62 runners, 5 of which placed. In the Brown Advisory Nicky sends an average of 2 runners per year and has never once placed. Other than Call The Cops in 2015, Nicky has never placed in 34 attempts in the Pertemps and Brown Advisory

Never sent a runner cross country.

44% of all his runners go Coral Cup, Martin Pipe and Grand Annual. 6/11 losing favorites comes from these races.

It’s quite difficult to draw any meaningful trends/conclusions as 6/7 winners have come from different races spread across a number of years.

Conclusions

I love Nicky Henderson. His record in graded races at the Cheltenham Festival is second to none and should be applauded by all, but this success does not spill over into the handicaps (I doubt he gives one single shit when you look at his record on the Champion Hurdle, RSA, Champion Chase etc).

In the last 10 years 11/198 Nicky Henderson handicap entries have gone off favorite. None have won at the Cheltenham Festival.

His 7/198 winners have won with an average SP of 20/1, with 6/7 being won in different races.

Comparing to a trainer of similar size (stable wise ), Paul Nicholls has trained 5 more handicap winners than Nicky with 40 less attempts over the last 10 years, and posts a positive ROI of +£130 across all his runners, vs
              - £530 for backing all of Nicky’s. Were it not for some big priced winners you would have done your absolute bollocks following Nicky Henderson over the last decade in handicaps at Cheltenham.

Nicky hasn’t won a handicap since 2015 at Cheltenham despite averaging 1 a year since 2008.

Paul and Nicky have had 1/22 winning favs between them at Cheltenham over the last 10 years.

Like I said at the start, Nicky will be dreaming about BVD and Altior doing the business and not whether or not he can land the Ultima for the first time, but I thought it made for interesting reading for us punters nonetheless

Comment

Great work that Charlie.
                I always knew his record in handicaps wasn't great but had no idea it was that poor, your analysis has certainly given some clarity there.

This thread is a must read on Monday 11th March....

Comment

Great stuff Charlie. Why am I not surprised the Irish do well in the handicaps. You'll be putting a few more on that list after this seasons fez Imo.

Comment

Another graveyard race at the festival for Henderson & Nicholls is the 4 Miler. Neither has won the race, remember that when you sit with a some AP tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                      Another graveyard race at the festival for Henderson & Nicholls is the 4 Miler. Neither has won the race, remember that when you sit with a some AP tickets.
                      Only a silly billy would factor that stat into their thought process.

I changed the silly billy bit

Comment

Hello, how about Chris Jones owned horses? Zabana and Space Cadet off the bat. I'm sure a few and selected runners over the years as more of a Graded race hunter. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by culloty View Post
                          Hello, how about Chris Jones owned horses? Zabana and Space Cadet off the bat. I'm sure a few and selected runners over the years as more of a Graded race hunter. Thanks.
                          Shame they've ruined Ordinary World's rating with the performance behind Min, would have been a nice horse to have in the Grand Annual.

Comment

I thought the same about Ordinary World for last years Grand Annual. Davy possible jockey also.

Comment

Originally posted by culloty View Post
                              I thought the same about Ordinary World for last years Grand Annual. Davy possible jockey also.
                              Can totally understand wanting a running in the QMCC and potentially picking up place money at best, but I'd be looking for a winner myself and they could have gone to work on getting his mark down.

Comment

Not the owners style i guess which makes any horse running in a hcap all the more interesting. Maybe nothing in it but thought I'd throw it out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X